SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hollow Island is onto something. In fact, almost all of our problems with the band of late are Edge's fault.

Some shoddy lyrics, album delays, less and less guitar.

I agree with this. Not only have recent lyrics been clunky and literal, but Bono's voice dominates the songs. It's overbearing. The "depth" in these new songs amounts to gadgets chirping in the background as opposed to nuanced layers of aural wonderment. Yeah that's right.
I think we would all love to see Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois come back, to create that sonic space that tends to allow the breathing room for those classic U2 songs to emerge. There is another side to this, however. When U2 sets out to make a pop album (as obviously they have this time), they feel they have to be direct, concise, and in your face with bold and obvious colours, both lyrically and musically. Not even Lanois and Eno could curb them too much from this, as we saw on ATYCLB. This is also partly due to the studio technology that is now used. Never again will we hear the organic production found on Zooropa and before. That said, I prefer the Eno/Lanois approach to pop songs (ATYCLB) to the Ryan Tedder approach, for example. At least they were able to give U2 far more cathartic results. Even the pop songs on ATYCLB carried a sort of catharcism with them. Songs such as 'Kite' and 'In a Little While' were wide open emotionally, despite their pop structures. Even songs like 'Elevation' had a sort of ecstaticness to them that can only be born out of the free spaces that Eno and Lanois seemed to create for the band. This seems to be the element missing now. But let's see.

Last edited:
I think we would all love to see Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois come back, to create that sonic space that tends to allow the breathing room for those classic U2 songs to emerge. There is another side to this, however. When U2 sets out to make a pop album (as obviously they have this time), they feel they have to be direct, concise, and in your face with bold and obvious colours, both lyrically and musically. Not even Lanois and Eno could curb them too much from this, as we saw on ATYCLB. This is also partly due to the studio technology that is now used. Never again will we here the organic production found on Zooropa and before. That said, I prefer the Eno/Lanois approach to pop songs (ATYCLB) to the Ryan Tedder approach, for example. At least they were able to give U2 far more cathartic results. Even the pop songs on ATYCLB carried a sort of catharcism with them. Songs such as 'Kite' and 'In a Little While' were wide open emotionally, despite their pop structures. Even songs like 'Elevation' had a sort of ecstaticness to them that can only be born out of the free spaces that Eno and Lanois seemed to create for the band. This seems to be the element missing now. But let's see.

Still confident that 'Summer of Love' will have that U2 openness and warmth?

From the descriptions, yes. Will it be be like Zooropa and earlier? No. Could it be sonically open and warm like, say, 'Kite'? Yes, absolutely. I just wish it was longer!

Fingers crossed. Here's hoping there's some interesting guitar on there, like Kite....and not a Walk On riff repeated.

I think most of the weaker U2 lyrics in the last 17 years have been the cheesy sloganeering that they try to jam into songs. And we all now which guy in the band loves slogans, and it ain't Edge.

Just wanted to offer a little alternate ending mix For Get Out if anyone is interested.

I know the annoyance of having the Kendrick ending just stopping cold. So I created an alternate ending mix, to fade out nicely.

Also created an ending without the Kendrick part at all, cause i know some people here didn't like it that much.
I for one think the entire Kendrick part should be on the front end of Am Soul, but whatever, i still don't mind it at the end of Get Out.

Hope some people find it useful.

Link here

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/0ureiBf22t

Finally listened to the album version of The Blackout. I loved the "live" version and I love the album version. Sure it's not top tier U2 but it's certainly in the top of second tier. Sounds great with headphones, great groove, lyrics pretty good, the Bono voice silo they've been using as of late isn't there. Will be a monster in the EI tour and could open the show.

After more than a month of The Best Thing, it is a step below, but not bad. It's catchy. It's fun. I'll go along with the ride for this album/tour but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to revisit it too often after the tour.

Get Out of Your Own Way. 5 or 6 listens. Ugh. The chorus is awful. The sweetness and poppiness are nauseating. Same feeling I got hearing Crazy Tonight. There's a few cool sounds in there but the rest is bits and pieces of other songs. Sounds like a b-side like Are You Gonna Wait Forever.

i've just listened again to Kite live from sydney 2006, from the window in the skies single...
this is one of my personal live favorites i really hope that at least one song of SoE could beat that because it is fucking amazing

Get Out of Your Own Way. 5 or 6 listens. Ugh. The chorus is awful. The sweetness and poppiness are nauseating. Same feeling I got hearing Crazy Tonight. There's a few cool sounds in there but the rest is bits and pieces of other songs. Sounds like a b-side like Are You Gonna Wait Forever.

I guess this is where the phrase "to each their own" applies. I find Get Out to be infinitely better than Crazy Tonight. I thought the latter was cringe-worthy, but find the melody in Get Out to be very strong and much more well-executed. Not even in the same stratosphere if you ask me.

I guess this is where the phrase "to each their own" applies. I find Get Out to be infinitely better than Crazy Tonight. I thought the latter was cringe-worthy, but find the melody in Get Out to be very strong and much more well-executed. Not even in the same stratosphere if you ask me.

Let me just say I’m one of the few that like(not love) Crazy Tonight.

With that said, Crazy suffers from 2 issues for me:

The lyrics are just okay and the “sweet tooth” lyric always bugged me. Now, I could over look that if the rest of the song pulled it up and it almost did but then that leads me to the unforgivable....

2 Voice cracks that make 50 year old Bono sound like he is going through puberty.

What kisses me off is that even with those misfires, his song still sounds good but will NEVER be great because no one in the control room had he balls to tell Bono to drink a glass of water and try that delivery again.

GOOYOW has better lyrics and a much better vocal delivery. It succeeds where Crazy failed for me.

The lyrics are just okay and the “sweet tooth” lyric always bugged me. Now, I could over look that if the rest of the song pulled it up and it almost did but then that leads me to the unforgivable....

2 Voice cracks that make 50 year old Bono sound like he is going through puberty.

What kisses me off is that even with those misfires, his song still sounds good but will NEVER be great because no one in the control room had he balls to tell Bono to drink a glass of water and try that delivery again.

GOOYOW has better lyrics and a much better vocal delivery. It succeeds where Crazy failed for me.

Very much agreed there.

What does Lincoln's ghost think about Crazy Tonight?

That line doesn’t bother me as much because in the context of the song he is talking about slaves and masters and then Lincoln. I’m not in love with it but it works better than “every sweet tooth needs just a little hit”.

GOOYOW is spades better than Crazy Tonight...and I like that song...:yes:

I have to say, I know U2 are still trying for that 'radio hit' but these songs seem fresher, less forced than anything on the past few albums. I'm probably completely crazy, or blinded by my fandom, but they feel right to me this time...and I hear all the talk about production, but the production seems more refined and less pandering than SOI. I dunno, I guess I just really like these songs so far.

Last edited:
i'm not going to go back and look through credits but hasn't Edge been more involved in writing lyrics over the last few albums than in the 80s and 90s? If so, he might be partially to blame for the weaker lyrics.

I'd worry more about his alternating between "rawk" riffs and cliche chimes for the past few albums...honestly, you want reinvention ? Talk to the man with the hat.

You're forgetting:

"Baby baby baby
I know I'm not alone"

(insert maybe the worst solo Edge ever recorded)

Absolute dreck.

GOOYOW is spades better than Crazy Tonight...and I like that song...:yes:

I have to say, I know U2 are still trying for that 'radio hit' but these songs seem fresher, less forced than anything on the past few albums. I'm probably completely crazy, or blinded by my fandom, but they feel right to me this time...and I hear all the talk about production, but the production seems more refined and less pandering than SOI. I dunno, I guess I just really like these songs so far.

I feel the same way. I actually even love the U2/Kygo remix of TBT. Sounds great on headphones, and I think it reflects a fresh, upbeat sound where the band's joy really comes to the forefront. The fact that it incorporates some pop sensibilities is not a detriment to the song, it's a strength. I don't pre-judge a song just because it's in the pop genre.

Yes, Get Out is better than Crazy Tonight. Much more better. But Crazy Tonight is near the bottom of the heap of U2 songs for me, so it's not saying much. Listening again, I'd have to pinpoint my real problem with the song is where they actually sing "Get Out Of Your Own Way".

Back
Top Bottom