SOE 30: With a Fanscore of 5 Bananas - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2017, 12:51 AM   #91
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:45 AM
They got rid of ASOH, which sounded great. Fuck their idiotic decisions and unimaginative asses.

The concert was great to see, awful to follow. Bring on the new material.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #92
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:45 AM
The main set was great but the encore was about as dull as it could get. I'm glad the tour is over.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-26-2017, 01:00 AM   #93
Refugee

Local Time: 09:45 AM
The tour was great, the performances were awesome, but a static setlist takes away some of the excitement of following the tour online. I saw JT 2017 five times and never got sick of it because the performances and the show were amazing each time I saw it, yet following every night on social media was boring because it was the same songs. In person, it's amazing, online, not so much.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:03 AM   #94
Refugee

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The main set was great but the encore was about as dull as it could get. I'm glad the tour is over.
I agree, Ax.

I know it's early and we haven't heard anywhere near all of SOE but how many 80s songs do you think make it to next tour? I'm afraid not so many.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:20 AM   #95
New Yorker

It was a great show, I hope the lack of online excitement due to lack of setlist variation doesn't take away from that. I feel that most people who saw it in person will understand it in a way that those who could only followed online weren't able to.

Yes, I wish it was a bit more varied (especially the safe consecutive hits in the encore) but I cut them a bit of slack because they played JT start to finish, and because U2.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:35 AM   #96
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
I agree, Ax.

I know it's early and we haven't heard anywhere near all of SOE but how many 80s songs do you think make it to next tour? I'm afraid not so many.
They might start with just a couple of JT songs but you know they'll work their way back in, like how so many tours over the years have begun without NYD and SBS and look what happened.

Speaking of those two War hits, I imagine they might not be guaranteed, and Bad will probably go back to being a rarity. But you'd expect something from Rattle and Hum to get a run after it was excluded entirely from this tour.

I imagine if any album gets a deeper cut chosen though, it'll be Achtung. And I expect the four albums of 2000-14 will contribute probably about 7-8 songs minimum. Beautiful Day, at least one of Stuck/Elevation/Walk On, maybe one more from ATYCLB, Vertigo, COBL, at least one from NLOTH, EBW, at least one more from SOI.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-26-2017, 01:50 AM   #97
Refugee

Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
They got rid of ASOH, which sounded great. Fuck their idiotic decisions and unimaginative asses.
This. You play one of your absolute best songs for the first time in like 30 fucking years, it sounds fresh and vital, and you fucking drop it after a few shows? What. The. Fuck.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:54 AM   #98
Refugee

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Another time, Another place, Another BANANA
Old 10-26-2017, 02:41 AM   #99
Refugee

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youarenotimmune View Post
This. You play one of your absolute best songs for the first time in like 30 fucking years, it sounds fresh and vital, and you fucking drop it after a few shows? What. The. Fuck.
Yep. I was so certain they'd film it for the dvd.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:52 AM   #100
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Like on 360 there were opportunities missed, ie the beginning - a perfect segue for JT would be MLK into Streets simply because they use approximately the same 'synth' so a segue would work easily (thanks Eno). Alternatively MLK and then Bad - Streets similar to the 2001 performances.

If you have to ditch ASOH? don't! just ditch the naff 80s synth sample playing the old guitar melody. Keep the song, for me it's still the best opener on any of their records.

The rarely played JT songs aside from Red Hill were pretty good to great in places (as was Still Haven't Found), the thrill of the new sotospeak, Streets ach.. is still a plod for me and not comparable to it's 87-01 era. And as has been said the encore was kinda dull.

The second US leg was an odd choice with hindsight, seemed an obligation, but it might have worked better had they seriously revamped the intro set/encores and I think the BT single might have done even better in traditional U2 singles markets had they drawn the line after the Euro leg had a month + off and then wholly focused on the build up to this new record, while still acknowledging JT's influence and history in tandem with the new music to come.

A not bad 7.5/10.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #101
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:45 PM
They'll tour Australia next year, and at the one show ax doesn't attend, they'll play Homecoming and dedicate it to "that cheeky C who runs U2Gigs"
Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #102
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
They'll tour Australia next year, and at the one show ax doesn't attend, they'll play Homecoming and dedicate it to "that cheeky C who runs U2Gigs"
They return to their hotel after the show to find it has mysteriously burnt to the ground.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #103
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
The tour was great, the performances were awesome, but a static setlist takes away some of the excitement of following the tour online. I saw JT 2017 five times and never got sick of it because the performances and the show were amazing each time I saw it, yet following every night on social media was boring because it was the same songs. In person, it's amazing, online, not so much.
Definitely agree. I’m really happy I saw this tour, it was a great show. Hopefully the next tour has a bit more setlist variation.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:
Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by youarenotimmune View Post
Truth be told (imo), I liked hearing it, but it was a bit on the 'meh' side the one time I saw it when compared to other songs in that part of the show. I'm actually not surprised Bad ended up in place of it 90%+ of the time as the tour went on.