SOE 30: With a Fanscore of 5 Bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we've been through this before, but it's still odd to have the "Innocence" album cover with the old guy on it and the "Experience" cover with two teenagers.

Something about irony, I guess. The 50 year-old looking back on his innocence, and this time around it's Bono's letters to his kids or whatever.

On a basic level it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to the casual listener. And it's also been pointed out before that several tracks on SOI aren't about innocence at all, but rather experience (EBW, The Troubles).
Just wait until the Songs of Ascent album cover, featuring a forlorn looking Leo.

But then it was such a small deal. The hysteria over it was ridiculous. So fucking what if you got a free album! People were going on like Bono had shat through their letterboxes or something.
A) it was musical spam

B) even if it shouldn't have been a big deal, it was... and that U2 are acknowledging they overstepped, or at the very least were percieved to have overstepped and are taking a more subtle approach really shows that they learned their lesson, at least from a marketing standpoint. The jury is still out on what the songs will sound like.

I would be surprised if that’s still on the cards.

I could see bits of it being released maybe as bsides or a fan club special? Or part of a box set years later? Or maybe Bono will announce it as another quick album after SOE and say it will be out in a year but really mean 3 + years in which case SOA will just be the name only as I'm sure the songs will have been completely reworked and different from the original idea.

Another World Series setlist party... I might have missed a song but....

1.) Desire
2.) THE BLACKOUT
3.) Elevation

Last edited:
Glad that The Blackout made it back in.

Now maybe this next week we can have some news?

What brilliant promo, playing a song nobody knows and can't buy or stream, from an album that hasn't been announced.

Is Songs of Ascent still even a possibility?

Pretty sure RD has alluded to there being a loose plan for it. That and Adam mentioned it in an interview last year. (maybe for atU2?)

World Series setlist parties are the best setlist parties.

If the mostly instrumental version of "The Blackout" played tonight during the World Series is anything to go off of, the bass in the studio version is even more thumping than we could have hoped for.

If the mostly instrumental version of "The Blackout" played tonight during the World Series is anything to go off of, the bass in the studio version is even more thumping than we could have hoped for.

Have any clips surfaced in better quality than the one posted in the last thread

Pretty sure RD has alluded to there being a loose plan for it. That and Adam mentioned it in an interview last year. (maybe for atU2?)

World Series setlist parties are the best setlist parties.

Yep - loose plan is for this to be their last tilt at a ‘big’ album, with a big tour to follow, then SOA as a quieter farewell.

What brilliant promo, playing a song nobody knows and can't buy or stream, from an album that hasn't been announced.

Oh, I dunno Axver...

I remember during The Who's "Who's Next" Tour in '71 they played an unknown song (except, and it's a maybe to the most super and connected fans [and I was a serious Who fan but not as connected as an acquaintance]) called "Pure and Easy" You hear the refrain at the end of "The Song Is Over" BUT at that time P&E was not onthe original Vinyl album.

It was/is so beautiful and intense at times- that it made me want to find out what it was! I was often on the lookout for any info or sound byte! I had snuck in a cassette recorder a bit bigger the size of a Kindle Fire plus about 1 1/2" deep, so had proof of the song's existence! :lol:

It took ?a year or two for them to release "Odds and Sods" on which it appeared.
(And later appeared on the WN double CD w much of the O&S material).

So i think some casual fans might be intrigued and go find out what they heard. Ah, often soooo much easier today!

Last edited:
Technically it is good marketing. It creates intrigue and curiosity which generally leads to action.

Technically it is good marketing. It creates intrigue and curiosity which generally leads to action.

Only if you know it's U2.

Playing an unreleased song live and generating excitement is very different to playing an anonymous clip leading into an ad break or whatever. Especially if it's largely instrumental. Without Bono being prominent it's almost useless for a casual who might at least be half a chance of recognising his voice. "Huh, what was that? Cool riff. Wonder who it was. Let's check Shazam. Nothing? Oh well."

Maybe when the song's a single people will recognise it because they've heard it before an ad break, but there should be something out now that people can actually look up.

If they were a little sneaky, a subtle way to promote it could be giving the song to shazam before it's released, and not having a big shazam logo on the screen.

Yep - loose plan is for this to be their last tilt at a ‘big’ album, with a big tour to follow, then SOA as a quieter farewell.

If this ends up happening, I really hope they go back to Eno and Lanois. It would be so cool to get a final album from them that was a little bit 'weirder' and didn't concern itself with hits (not that I have a problem with that for SoE), but also I really consider those guys the 5th and 6th members of the band, so I really hope they come back.

If this ends up happening, I really hope they go back to Eno and Lanois. It would be so cool to get a final album from them that was a little bit 'weirder' and didn't concern itself with hits (not that I have a problem with that for SoE), but also I really consider those guys the 5th and 6th members of the band, so I really hope they come back.

Agreed :up:

Only if you know it's U2.

Playing an unreleased song live and generating excitement is very different to playing an anonymous clip leading into an ad break or whatever. Especially if it's largely instrumental. Without Bono being prominent it's almost useless for a casual who might at least be half a chance of recognising his voice. "Huh, what was that? Cool riff. Wonder who it was. Let's check Shazam. Nothing? Oh well."

Maybe when the song's a single people will recognise it because they've heard it before an ad break, but there should be something out now that people can actually look up.
Considering that the broadcast is littered with U2 songs, I think it's fairly obvious who it is to anyone.

That said... I do think that if they were doing to push the song in these broadcasts they should have at least had it available for purchase.

I know a name is just a name but I really hope the Songs of... trend stops at Experience. Hopefully they'll be bored of it soon and come up with a more interesting title for the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom