SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do you not understand that in some countries it is actually a term of abuse, and a pretty strong one at that?

you're just definitely trying to stir things up in this thread seeing as the last one was locked :rolleyes:

are you going Trump style? "toughen up you snowflake pussies"? SAD!

Why do I need to understand that, but others don’t understand that it is fine where I am from?

The Trump allegory is pretty weak. He isn’t a cunt at all - that guy is straight up fucking piece of shit.

Why bring this over into this thread? This thread will probably now go down the toilet because of this

Oh for fucks sake, seriously? I called SOMEONE ELSE a cunt - someone who shares my interpretation of the term, and did so in a jokey way that eased the tension of the previous thread.

Some people just want to be offended and let everyone else know just how offended they are.

If you’ve ever called anyone a “dick” or a “wang”, then you are doing exactly what I am.

I am merely interested from a sociological perspective why you all think a single word is so offensive?

Surely the intent of the speaker means something in this conversation? I am also interested why some people who are offended are making this about their own interpretations

go and read a book on semiotics or something if you want to educate yourself lol

clearly in the other thread, it wasn't being used endearingly and Jarvio was offended and confused by it and Axver just kept piling it on, and now you're trying to keep it going /end OFF TOPIC

Why do I need to understand that, but others don’t understand that it is fine where I am from?

The Trump allegory is pretty weak. He isn’t a cunt at all - that guy is straight up fucking piece of shit.

you misunderstood what i said - you said that us "cunts need to harden the fuck up" which i said was pretty much the same as Trump and his ilk telling "snowflake pussies to toughen up"

just cos there's one asshole in a position of global power, doesn't mean everyone has to start acting assholey and treating others without a modicum of respect (i mean this in general, because seriously there is a lot of it around and it's sad to see that in here)

oh, and where i come from, Trump definitely IS, and an evil one at that

Last edited:
Oh for fucks sake, seriously? I called SOMEONE ELSE a cunt - someone who shares my interpretation of the term, and did so in a jokey way that eased the tension of the previous thread.

Some people just want to be offended and let everyone else know just how offended they are.

If you’ve ever called anyone a “dick” or a “wang”, then you are doing exactly what I am.

Oh great, an overreaction to nothing again.

I'm only gonna say this all once more: In that other thread I was talked to like crap for no reason at all. And when I said I'd finally heard the song, PEOPLE KEPT CARRYING ON.

The manner inwhich I was spoke to on that thread, whether he used a C word or not, was unacceptable and undeserved. The C word was the icing on the cake though, and as others have said, it obviously wasn't used endearingly. But I have since forgot about it. I even posted saying I was willing to drop it. But others never dropped it themselves.

People call people a 'dick' or whatever term you want, if somebody deserves it, or if it's provoked in any way at all, even if it's a joke between friends. I know I do. But on the other thread, in my case, it was unprovoked and I didn't deserve it - I did nothing wrong. If you wanna confirm this, the evidence is all there on the locked thread.

Yes it's ruining this tread. I stopped talking about it long ago. But then people kept bringing it back up again and again and again. This thread we were talking U2, then you just brought this up out of nowhere.

I'm done, any more posts from me will be U2 talk.

Last edited:
you misunderstood what i said - you said that us "cunts need to harden the fuck up" which i said was pretty much the same as Trump and his ilk telling "snowflake pussies to toughen up"

just cos there's one asshole in a position of global power, doesn't mean everyone has to start acting assholey and treating others without a modicum of respect (i mean this in general, because seriously there is a lot of it around and it's sad to see that in here)

I am honestly struggling to understand the reaction. Invoking Trump is essentially going nuclear (pun intended).

If you didn’t detect the sarcasm in the comment, then I apologise - I do find it laughable that people assign some sort of crazy importance to ‘cunt’ yet their culture have thrown ‘dick’ around like it’s fucking sugar.

Can someone not from NZ/Australia please tell me why cunt is so offensive? Growing up it was on a par with crap and shit, but nowhere near as bad as fuck. I mean, I know it's a genitalia term, but so is dork and willy...
Because in America we get offended by words, boobs and people kneeling at football games, but not at mass shootings and institutional racism.

It's part of that idea Bono keeps talking about.

Last edited:

I'm only gonna say this all once more: In that other thread I was talked to like crap for no reason at all. And when I said I'd finally heard the song, PEOPLE KEPT CARRYING ON.

The manner inwhich I was spoke to on that thread, whether he used a C word or not, was unacceptable and undeserved. The C word was the icing on the cake though, and as others have said, it obviously wasn't used endearingly. But I have since forgot about it.

People call people a 'dick' or whatever term you want, if somebody deserves it. I know I do. But on the other thread, I didn't deserve it, I did nothing wrong. If you wanna confirm this, the evidence is all there on the locked thread.

Yes it's ruining the tread. I stopped talking about it long ago. This thread we were talking U2, then you just brought this up out of nowhere.

Mate. I never called you a cunt. You fired up at my post aimed at another poster, and I called you on it. This post preaches a higher ground position, yet you have devolved this when it had nothing to do with you.

Because in America we get offended by words and people kneeling at football games, but not at mass shootings and institutional racism.

It's part of that idea Bono keeps talking about.

dude, really? you do know it depends on the context in which a word is used, right?

i am offended when someone uses it as a term of abuse or to cause offence or provoke a negative reaction; i am offended by mass shootings and institutional racism, and i wish more people would kneel at football games :shrug:

The manner inwhich I was spoke to on that thread, whether he used a C word or not, was unacceptable and undeserved. The C word was the icing on the cake though, and as others have said, it obviously wasn't used endearingly. But I have since forgot about it. I even posted saying I was willing to drop it. But others never dropped it themselves.

People call people a 'dick' or whatever term you want, if somebody deserves it, or if it's provoked in any way at all, even if it's a joke between friends. I know I do. But on the other thread, in my case, it was unprovoked and I didn't deserve it - I did nothing wrong. If you wanna confirm this, the evidence is all there on the locked thread.

Yes it's ruining this tread. I stopped talking about it long ago. This thread we were talking U2, then you just brought this up out of nowhere.

Hey so ax being probably drunk and forgetting that cunt is a word people find offensive in the US was undeserved and unnecessary.

But you got the reaction outside of that because you kept asking for links to the song, people consistently kept giving you numerous options on how to get it, and you kept arguing against those requests because you didn't want to pay the band $1.29 for the song.

Mate. I never called you a cunt. You fired up at my post aimed at another poster, and I called you on it. This post preaches a higher ground position, yet you have devolved this when it had nothing to do with you.

Never said you did. It was that Axver guy, but it's long passed as far as I'm concerned anyway.

dude, really? you do know it depends on the context in which a word is used, right?

i am offended when someone uses it as a term of abuse or to cause offence or provoke a negative reaction; i am offended by mass shootings and institutional racism, and i wish more people would kneel at football games :shrug:

So, I’m ok then? You have come around to the idea of intent in a message.

Also, being ‘offended’ by mass shootings and institutional racism is a sickeningly impotent response. In my country a CONSERVATIVE leader banned semi automatics and automatic weapons after a single mass shooting. Institutional racism and sexism is still rampant, but we rail, we rally, and we fight. Being offended is fucking pathetic. Anyone being ‘offended’ by anything is the most pathetic response a person can have to a dire situation.

Hey so ax being probably drunk and forgetting that cunt is a word people find offensive in the US was undeserved and unnecessary.

But you got the reaction outside of that because you kept asking for links to the song, people consistently kept giving you numerous options on how to get it, and you kept arguing against those requests because you didn't want to pay the band $1.29 for the song.

No, No, NO!!!!

This is REALLY pissing me off now.

If you don't understand, here it is in caps:

THE LINKS THAT EVERYONE WERE POSTING DID NOT WORK IN MY COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS CALLED A CUNT AFTER ASKING WHERE THE SONG WAS ABOUT ONCE!!!!!!!!!!

I ONLY ASKED A FEW TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DROP IT FFS, THIS IS PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN TRY AND ARGUE WITH SOMEONE ON A U2 BOARD OVER FUCK ALL??????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

In this context the word was used by someone who lives in a country where it is used as often as a coma.

So it's less a abuse thing, and more a lost in translation thing.

But yes, I find it silly that people get all crazy over curse words, yet elected an actual abuser and serial molester as president.

No, No, NO!!!!

This is REALLY pissing me off now.

If you don't understand, here is is in caps:

THE LINKS THAT EVERYONE WAS POSTING DID NOT WORK IN MY COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ONLY ASKED A FEW TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DROP IT FFS, THIS IS PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN TRY AND ARGUE WITH SOMEONE ON A U2 BOARD OVER FUCK ALL??????!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm offended by your use of the word fuck.

So, I’m ok then? You have come around to the idea of intent in a message.

Also, being ‘offended’ by mass shootings and institutional racism is a sickeningly impotent response. In my country a CONSERVATIVE leader banned semi automatics and automatic weapons after a single mass shooting. Institutional racism and sexism is still rampant, but we rail, we rally, and we fight. Being offended is fucking pathetic. Anyone being ‘offended’ by anything is the most pathetic response a person can have to a dire situation.

duuuude - "offended" was in response to Headache's comment about people being "offended" by swear words but not "offended" by mass shootings etc - read his post and please try to understand my response in that simple context! you're actually being ridiculous :lol:

actually i would hope people WOULD be offended, i.e. TAKE OFFENCE, to all of the above, i.e. FIND THEM OFFENSIVE BECAUSE THEY ARE!

and yes of course it's all about context, but there was no reason for you to bring it into this thread from the locked thread where it wasn't being used as banter between mates

Last edited:
Yeaaaaaaa I would hardly call my responses bullying. You have a very broad definition of the word if this is what you consider to be bullying.

I said what Axver said was unnecessary. I also said that you were frustrating many posters in this thread by not acknowledging that the song was available everywhere. The YouTube link wasn't working... iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, etc etc were all working fine, you just didn't want to pay for it.

Which of that above, which is all I did, would be considered "trolling" or "bullying?"

I'm so glad I came to this thread. I was hoping for new album news but got this shitty conversation instead.

Yeaaaaaaa I would hardly call my responses bullying. You have a very broad definition of the word if this is what you consider to be bullying.

I said what Axver said was unnecessary. I also said that you were frustrating many posters in this thread by not acknowledging that the song was available everywhere. The YouTube link wasn't working... iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, etc etc were all working fine, you just didn't want to pay for it.

Which of that above, which is all I did, would be considered "trolling" or "bullying?"

I didn't ask about links as many times as you made out!

I asked for youtube first. It wasn't working. Nobody believed me (until a couple of other UK posters confirmed that they had the same issue).

I then got it on spotify, and said so, but what happened then? Everyone kept carrying on!

People were only 'frustrated' at the youtube links - to which, it's not my fault they were (for some reason) blocked in the uk. Not my fault that they were blocked. And the fact that people were not believing me when I said they weren't available, is just silly.

I'm telling you the same thing over and over again, but you keep arguing back making up crap to try and make it seem like you're right when you're not.

I don't wanna post here anymore.

Last edited:
Actually, you and Jarvio chose to take offence to things I directed at Ax and Kiwilad. None of those things concerned you, or were intended as a comment about you.

it's a public thread and you were off topic - how about PM-ing them directly or creating a special sweary thread rather than carrying on a conversation from a locked thread which had caused upset? you were just trying to continue that conversation and keep the reaction going, and, oh look? well done! it worked!

Last edited:
I reckon a few more pages of people requesting this topic be moved elsewhere oughta do it.

it's a public thread and you were off topic - how about PM-ing them directly or creating a special sweary thread rather than carrying on a conversation from a locked thread which had caused upset? you were just trying to continue that conversation and keep the reaction going, and, oh look? well done! it worked!

How about not telling me what I was trying to do? I’d love nothing more than if people didn’t lose their shit over meaningless nonsense, and just ignored it and moved on.

If, by your rules, people aren’t allowed to direct comments at individuals, then these threads will be a lot shorter and way less interesting. You calling me out is a violation of your rules. Rather than take public offence, how about you PM me that you don’t like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom