SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2017, 04:39 AM   #91
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
No line explores a tiny only on a few songs but it's a terrible album give me atyclb any day of week

No line explores only on a few songs but it's a terrible album, give me atyclb any day of the week

Old 09-25-2017, 04:54 AM   #92
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
If you're going to put these two albums in the same category, it's hard to take the rest of your post seriously.

At least No Line shows them stretching and exploring. Maybe not to the extent as with Achtung Baby, but it's still more about creativity than craft. ATYCLB was specifically meant to be about craft (more focus on writing than recording) and that's just not the band at their best.
And if you're gonna jump to conclusions then it's hard to take you're post seriously, too.

Of course AB and ATYCLB are not in the same category. They're very different albums. But the thing I said they had in common is that they're both brilliant.

NLOTH left me underwhelmed. The opening track and Magnificent bore me to tears tbh, that's just me. Unknown Caller and SUC are ruined by pretentious lyrics IMO, and so is Breathe. The best song on the album is MOS. IGCIIDGCT I also like, but I know I'm in the minority there. Although it does have its issues. Being Born is a good track. The Fez part is ok, but the transition between the two is poor IMO. Cedars is an ok closer, but not particularly up there. White As Snow just bothers me because U2 didn't write the vocal melody to it, they took it from an old traditional tune/hymn/something or other. Winter should have been on there in its place IMO. The album on a whole leaves me underwhelmed (or in the case of UC, GOYB, and SUC, just cringeworthy).

Since my last post I listened to loads more U2 albums, and I still think NLOTH is one of their worst. I don't hate it - just don't enjoy it very much either.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #93
War Child

Local Time: 10:00 AM
If you folks think about it, All That You Can't Leave Behind was mostly written & recorded in their 30s.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #94
War Child

Post 2000 record rankings:

1. Songs of Innocence
2. All that You Can't Leave Behind
3. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (they say you can't....)
4. No Line on the Horizon

How to Dismantle is actually really good but marred by bad production. It's just sounds terribly compressed. I have the re-issue on vinyl, and, while it sounds better than the CD, it's still not dynamic enough. The mid-range seems too recessed. It sounds like all bass and treble at times.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I was just thinking about how lately I haven't had to buy many albums because it seems to be the thing these days to get a free copy when you buy a ticket to a band's tour. I have of late gotten the new albums of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire and The Killers that way. Perhaps U2 held off on their own announcement of the album release because it will be combined with a tour announcement (with onsales happening sooner than the originally rumored December, right after the last JT2017 date) and that everyone who buys a ticket gets the CD? Just a thought...
Old 09-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:00 AM
SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Artist View Post
I was just thinking about how lately I haven't had to buy many albums because it seems to be the thing these days to get a free copy when you buy a ticket to a band's tour. I have of late gotten the new albums of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire and The Killers that way. Perhaps U2 held off on their own announcement of the album release because it will be combined with a tour announcement (with onsales happening sooner than the originally rumored December, right after the last JT2017 date) and that everyone who buys a ticket gets the CD? Just a thought...

Makes sense - I believe they can tie t in to album sales that way. It probably is why they will tour NA again first up as well. Will all but guarantee them the number 1
Old 09-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #97
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleblackeye View Post
Post 2000 record rankings:

1. Songs of Innocence
2. All that You Can't Leave Behind
3. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (they say you can't....)
4. No Line on the Horizon

How to Dismantle is actually really good but marred by bad production. It's just sounds terribly compressed. I have the re-issue on vinyl, and, while it sounds better than the CD, it's still not dynamic enough. The mid-range seems too recessed. It sounds like all bass and treble at times.
Agree!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #98
Refugee

Local Time: 04:00 PM
No wonder they come up with weird song titles, according to Noel, Bono is basically pissed all the time!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #99
Refugee

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post
And if you're gonna jump to conclusions then it's hard to take you're post seriously, too.

Of course AB and ATYCLB are not in the same category. They're very different albums. But the thing I said they had in common is that they're both brilliant.

NLOTH left me underwhelmed. The opening track and Magnificent bore me to tears tbh, that's just me. Unknown Caller and SUC are ruined by pretentious lyrics IMO, and so is Breathe. The best song on the album is MOS. IGCIIDGCT I also like, but I know I'm in the minority there. Although it does have its issues. Being Born is a good track. The Fez part is ok, but the transition between the two is poor IMO. Cedars is an ok closer, but not particularly up there. White As Snow just bothers me because U2 didn't write the vocal melody to it, they took it from an old traditional tune/hymn/something or other. Winter should have been on there in its place IMO. The album on a whole leaves me underwhelmed (or in the case of UC, GOYB, and SUC, just cringeworthy).

Since my last post I listened to loads more U2 albums, and I still think NLOTH is one of their worst. I don't hate it - just don't enjoy it very much either.
Spot on, No Line is maybe the most souless U2 album of them all. And the songs you mentioned are the exact songs i like. Winter should be in the album, the "punk" version of No Line should too. And Magnificent is made better only by its execelent production. To me SOI is a much better, more consistent and fresh album. Maybe its not stuff of legends but for a band 34 years into their career is almost brilliant.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #100
The Fly

Local Time: 09:00 AM
SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

I'd put NLOTH above ATYCLB. Cedars is in my top 10....I enjoy Adams bass solo very much in that song. ATYCLB is not as interesting as NLOTH...except for maybe Kite which I enjoy very much. For all the crap it takes, actually really like Unknown Caller.

Millennial U2 for me is SOI, NLOTH, Bomb, ATYCLB.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #101
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by super fly guy View Post
No wonder they come up with weird song titles, according to Noel, Bono is basically pissed all the time!

Context?
Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Context?
Noel Gallagher reveals details of wild post-gig boozing with Bono on tour with U2 - Irish Mirror Online
Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #103
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Ha, stupid American, I was thinking angry, and was trying to make the connection.

Touring with U2, being out drank by Bono; now Liam's really gonna be pissed(angry).
Old 09-25-2017, 07:46 PM   #104
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
I'd put NLOTH above ATYCLB. Cedars is in my top 10....I enjoy Adams bass solo very much in that song. ATYCLB is not as interesting as NLOTH...except for maybe Kite which I enjoy very much. For all the crap it takes, actually really like Unknown Caller.

Millennial U2 for me is SOI, NLOTH, Bomb, ATYCLB.
I'd agree with this, but swap the last two. Though I maintain that somehere, likely hidden under stacks of designer sunglasses and a rusted Trabant toy bought from a flea market, there is an early version of NLOTH that keeps that world music edge and likely sounds phenomenal. Part of me hopes we hear it someday.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #105
Refugee

That article is hilarious.

Quote:
He added: “So he goes off, I get to the hotel, it takes me 20 minutes to find the remote control for the telly, another 10 minutes to order a club sandwich, with some guy who’s clearly neither French nor English on the other end of the phone.

“And as I was kind of sitting down I put on the telly and I’m flicking through, and there’s Bono doing a live press conference with the Prime Minister of France about Africa. And I know what we’ve been up to the previous three days and I’m going ‘He’s not real man’.”

Gallagher added: “And the next night we do the gig in Paris. I’m sweating pure lager, and he gets up and sings like a 24-year-old. And I’m like ‘I’ve had enough’.
I was at that first show in Paris and Noel was definitely hungover as all hell. He reminded the crowd as such about every other song.