SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm just grateful that they're still around, they still care, they have a new album coming out with 3 songs released that I all quite like (now pleeeeaase nail the production on The Blackout and Little Things), they have not (yet) embarrassed themselves in any way as they did for both NLOTH (Get On Your Boots) and SOI (Apple), and they're making TV performances that sound this good: .

As I've posted before, best time to be a U2 fan since 2009 at the very least.

Right now I'm just grateful that they're still around, they still care, they have a new album coming out with 3 songs released that I all quite like (now pleeeeaase nail the production on The Blackout and Little Things), they have not (yet) embarrassed themselves in any way as they did for both NLOTH (Get On Your Boots) and SOI (Apple), and they're making TV performances that sound this good: .

As I've posted before, best time to be a U2 fan since 2009 at the very least.

:up::up::up::up:

Nothing embarrassing? They filmed part of a music video in front of the Tribute in Light.
I got douchechills.
IMG_5274.JPG

You know, U2 was in NYC to film right around the anniversary of 9/11. The lights would have been on already, would they not? It's not like Bono was like, "Willie Williams! Turn on the WTC lights... turn my down... turn those up!"

Indeed. So they would've known about it beforehand. A conscious decision.

I don't get how, without even seeing the video, that people are complaining about the tribute in light being in a scene.

Sure, once we see the video, they could be doing a jig on the memorial site, and that would be pretty fucking offensive.

But being on a boat and having the lights behind them for, as far as we know, like 3 seconds is somehow offensive?

Shh, this forum's got to meet its nonsensical complaint quota for the day.

I don't get how, without even seeing the video, that people are complaining about the tribute in light being in a scene.

Sure, once we see the video, they could be doing a jig on the memorial site, and that would be pretty fucking offensive.

But being on a boat and having the lights behind them for, as far as we know, like 3 seconds is somehow offensive?

Remember, one catchy pop rock song from the album means the band is a hollow, vapid shell, bent on top 40 glory, and is an odious sign for SOE...

So let's recap recent topics on SOE vids:

The Black Out video is in black and white like Invisible...unoriginal they are out of ideas

The Black Out Video has Bono crowd surfing...embarrassing, he should act his age

TBT video is on a roof top...unoriginal, U2 is out of ideas

Wait, TBT is on a boat?....but it's in NYC and it costs a lot to shoot there so they are trying to take advantage of something....they suck

Wait, it doesn't cost a lot?...but there are symbols of NYC in the video and that's outrageous !

You're making a bigger deal out of my opinion than I am. I have no idea how long it's in the video and I definitely don't think they're trying to offend anyone. Using a memorial tribute as background scenery for a music video just strikes me as a dubious choice. It was intentional, not incidental. Like I said - kinda icky.

You're making a bigger deal out of my opinion than I am. I have no idea how long it's in the video and I definitely don't think they're trying to offend anyone. Using a memorial tribute as background scenery for a music video just strikes me as a dubious choice. It was intentional, not incidental. Like I said - kinda icky.

I get your view. But after watching the full video, it seems like the band is celebrating the diversity, openness, liberty and freedom that America represents. The lights that shine, showing the country's resilience against adversity. Much more a celebration and showcasing of what makes America great in the eyes of so many around the world.
And now many of them seeing us as "walking away" from that...

Sure and I agree it works fine in the context. Seeing the preview gave me some pause because the band has continually made boneheaded decisions.

Another video, (perhaps the final part of a 30year trilogy?) in the spirit of Still Haven't Found and All Because Of You. It's a preferable visual statement to the slightly 1984esque pofaced post-rich asshole videos I've seen from other acts since January, so perhaps this "joy as an act of defiance" thing is not so bad then... :hmm:

The timing and I don't mean political? there was a time not so long ago when your big artists had their music video and their song (plus other exciting formats) ready to go from the release date, whereas now there is this odd momentum sapping delay, where the song can essentially die a death on the chart and the video appears too late to really give it a second wind. Btw it's goofy and really rubbish in bits (the... selfies), but given what's "popular"? it's better fun than sepia Adele, Ed Sheeran gurning with his banjo on a barge and Sam Smith looking glum out on the winding windy moors...

Another video, (perhaps the final part of a 30year trilogy?) in the spirit of Still Haven't Found and All Because Of You. It's a preferable visual statement to the slightly 1984esque pofaced post-rich asshole videos I've seen from other acts since January, so perhaps this "joy as an act of defiance" thing is not so bad then... :hmm:

The timing and I don't mean political? there was a time not so long ago when your big artists had their music video and their song (plus other exciting formats) ready to go from the release date, whereas now there is this odd momentum sapping delay, where the song can essentially die a death on the chart and the video appears too late to really give it a second wind. Btw it's goofy and really rubbish in bits (the... selfies), but given what's "popular"? it's better fun than sepia Adele, Ed Sheeran gurning with his banjo on a barge and Sam Smith looking glum out on the winding windy moors...

The song really isn't dying a death on the charts. It has stalled a bit on straight rock formats, but I'm kinda surprised it even got played on straight rock formats. But it is at number 2 on Hot Rock songs chart, their highest notch on that chart (The chart has only been around about 6 years)

It has increased daily on HotAC and Alt stations since release. I am thinking it will continue to grow on AC for a while. It definitely could have used another TV appearance in this time off before Mexico, but doesn't look like it.

I'm not pronouncing it out until spins start to stall on AC

Love the video but as an American I really could use the break from people shoving American values down my throat. I know that's what's trendy and all but sheesh.

As an outsider, it is kind of refreshing to have someone who isn’t American highlighting the positives, because all we see is the orange turd forcing us all to the to the brink of nuclear war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom