SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only a very small step to making the sensible decision to have him on stage all the time.

Nah I think it'd be really weird if nearly 40 years into their live career they were suddenly joined by a fifth man on stage. I don't think that would go over too well in the press (especially as they're aging) and I think a lot of their lasting appeal is that they're the same band they were from their first album.

Besides Dallas' role is no secret, Bono frequently credits Terry Lawless during shows, and their shows have always used pre-sequenced sounds.. A fifth player would just be an unnecessary distraction.

We're not 'there' yet but it reminds me of these recent videos of Roger Waters live where he has prerecorded vocals and just sorta whispers into a dead mic, which on occasion has been oops, erm.. live (see below) or he has missed a 'beat' sotospeak. I assume he records his voice/setlist the one time pre-tour and it plays over the live shows.

On the subject of expanded stage lineups? the E-Street Band has had extra backing vocalists, strings and horns for ages, but Bruce, Steve, Max & Nils etc still hold it together as a focus point.

Nah I think it'd be really weird if nearly 40 years into their live career they were suddenly joined by a fifth man on stage. I don't think that would go over too well in the press (especially as they're aging) and I think a lot of their lasting appeal is that they're the same band they were from their first album.

Besides Dallas' role is no secret, Bono frequently credits Terry Lawless during shows, and their shows have always used pre-sequenced sounds.. A fifth player would just be an unnecessary distraction.

Some keyboard background stuff or sequencers isn't the issue. I think there's a difference between that and someone else playing guitar sounds. Especially when Edge has such a high-tech setup and could easily start a loop himself if that was needed.

On the subject of expanded stage lineups? the E-Street Band has had extra backing vocalists, strings and horns for ages, but Bruce, Steve, Max & Nils etc still hold it together as a focus point.

Also a difference between having those supplemental instruments and actually needing your own parts bolstered. You have bands like Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, etc who were totally capable of creating a full sound on their own and then suddenly needing to add more guitarists or drummers.

I guess with Pink Floyd certainly the music after Dark Side they needed the layers of Clare Torryesque female vox for Great Gig etc and much of the post Waters albums. And that last Police tour? I wonder if it really was just the three of them ala the first albums, because if so, it was pretty sound.

U2, it's their odd almost OCD stubborness to be the four guys from the cover of Pride, JT etc. But I recall a lot of the three or four piece bands that popped up around the same time around 1981-1983 of a similar style; Echo & The Bunnymen, The Alarm etc and they all toured and still tour with session keyboard guys who were on stage and it made all the difference.

Beside if it's good enough for Spinal Tap...

Looks like we have yet another TBT video!

Oh my god that is HORRIBLE.

Please don't tell me that is official?

If so, worst U2 video ever, and by far too. Absolute cringe. Absolutely vomit-inducing.

Last edited:
Looks like we have yet another TBT video!

Great find! Is it official?

This video is perfect for this song. It invokes the imagery that I associate with the lyrics (family, love, happiness). I don’t mind the NYC one but this was a home run.

If so, worst U2 video ever, and by far too. Absolute cringe. Absolutely vomit-inducing.

Really? It's people expressing love for one another, nothing too off the wall and fits the song well. Not one I would watch again and again, but i do think it will appeal to plenty of people.

Google “Get on Your Boots official video”

Really? It's people expressing love for one another, nothing too off the wall and fits the song well. Not one I would watch again and again, but i do think it will appeal to plenty of people.

I thought it was way too much. I found it very sickly, and this video shoved it in your face wayyyy too much for my liking! Full of talking over the song too. Honestly, I'd put it rock bottom out of all U2 videos ever. Not for me, this.

People can complain about multiple versions all they want. But truth is, it's nice to see the band engaged and getting behind a song. The more videos out there, the more visibility they get with it. It's the sort of thing that they have been behind the curve on for way too long. So i like it.
And remember 150 views/streams = 1 download "sale" for Billboard, and 1500 = 1 album sale.

So they are nearing about 5 million with the first two videos which means they have 33,333 equivalent single sales, and 3,333 equivalent album sales.

Strange that this video is official.. But I don't think U2 made any FB or Instagram post about it. Just sort a snuck it on youtube... so far at least

It's official: Jarvio hates love.

:wink:

I'm into love, I just think that this video is a massive overload of it. I don't wanna watch other people get lovely-dovey with each other, and this video takes it too far. Get a room, pass me the bucket etc. I found it uncomfortable to watch. People crying on it too, and loads of talking over the song. It made for unpleasant viewing for me.

Last edited:
Watched the start... skipped through looking for unenthusiastic Larry, couldn’t find him so assumed it was a fan effort.

It’s official?!?

Literally no idea what U2 are going to do next week now to promote this song. Which I really, really like now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom