SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm going to host it on a friends server. Be kind, i did this in like 20 minutes. I hope you like it, or at least parts of it. My - The Best Thing (Sci-Fi Acoustic Mix)

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/AiIH5oOhah

Just check the box next to it and hit 'download selected'

nice! seems like you've melded the best elements of each into something coherent!

it's not really like Invisible because Edge isn't actually playing anything (or at least anything audible). There's only one guitar part happening to my ears, and the guitarist on stage isn't playing it.

I'm not going to dwell on it, because there might be good reason for it on this occasion. But it's pretty different from other instances where Edge is accompanied by Dallas, below
There is a second guitar part in there... it's more of the atmospheric chimey parts that edge is playing live. Forgive me for not knowing the exact guitar terminology for it.

Watch It Might Get Loud and see how he changes the simplest guitar part you've ever seen, that your or I could learn in 5 minutes without any experience, and turns it into Elevation by pumping it through his effects board and using peddles and whatever the fuck else he does.

I imagine the same thing is going on here.

I highly doubt he's faking playing altogether... it's not an overly complicated guitar part, and we've seen video of him soundchecking the part by himself.

nice! seems like you've melded the best elements of each into something coherent!

Thanks! I appreciate it. It does seem to flow well, which i attribute to the structure of the sci fi mix. Having the lower register voice gives it a full, more laid back feel, but then boosted with the dynamics of the electric mix.
It's a bit "thick" because obviously i don't have separate tracks to work with, and i hear a little phasing drop out in a couple spots. But thought it was worth sharing to give my friends here something new to listen to.

Watch It Might Get Loud and see how he changes the simplest guitar part you've ever seen, that your or I could learn in 5 minutes without any experience, and turns it into Elevation by pumping it through his effects board and using peddles and whatever the fuck else he does.

I imagine the same thing is going on here.

I highly doubt he's faking playing altogether... it's not an overly complicated guitar part, and we've seen video of him soundchecking the part by himself.

cool. I dont hear that part.. can pick up the chimey part, some high pitched key part, which is just a single note I think, and bass and guitar.. but my hearing is admittedly garbage thanks to being old

I've seen other non-electro acts do this, The Flaming Lips did it for a while before they expanded their live line up a few years back. Wayne's acoustic 'guitar' back then was just an elaborate sample trigger prop where he'd hit a button (I guess) and a studio acoustic guitar part would play or backing vox would come in. In fact they used a ton of pre-recorded studio material around 2002-09 but then it got more and more 'live' as time went on, now it's mostly bonafide samples and not actual acoustic/electric guitars.

R.E.M brought in an extra guitarist/keys duo for the Green era onwards and it really augmented their live sound.

And yeah I know that the likes of U2, Coldplay and Muse do this because they want that erm... authentic "we're a three/four piece band line up" thing onstage rather than have 3-4 extra musicians visible.

I never quite got why they didn't add another player on stage here and there... it's not as if anyone thinks the various performers who join the Stones on stage at every concert takes away from Mick, Keith, etc

But they just prefer to hide things out of site, be it Terry or through extra loops and backing tracks

Saying you try too hard is not trolling, it's pretty much just fact at this point. You should look up that definition someday.

what's fascinating about you is that you never seem to develop a conversation here, you simply troll other people's comments and slag them off, picking apart semantically or otherwise.

honestly dude, it's pathetic.

There's no sense to have a back track for that part. Period. It's less complicated than a loop would merit (a programmed loop at that, as it was not something he played and looped right there) je could have hammered on the frets and accomplished that sparse sound.

Best guess, he and Dallas are both playing live on the song. Clearly there are 2 guitars on the 2nd part of the solo just before he starts singing.

When he's singing, probably is a layered part on the studio track (I'd have to listen to it) and Edge and Dallas were both supposed to play something there live. Edge dropped out because of the mic gaffe and all that was left was Dallas playing the light textures that would have flavored Edge's main part. I'd only guess that.

I've always wondered about the Edge's guitar playing live.

Not because I don't doubt he does, but because it's gotta be so hard to play U2's music live. I bet there's a lot more trickery than this.

Then again, this is the guy who's bungled the intro to their most famous song repeatedly so who knows.

what's fascinating about you is that you never seem to develop a conversation here, you simply troll other people's comments and slag them off, picking apart semantically or otherwise.

I have plenty of conversations, you made it clear from day one you didn't come here for real back and forth, so I don't have them with you.

But then again, if you noticed, you don't have them with anyone.

Not because I don't doubt he does, but because it's gotta be so hard to play U2's music live. I bet there's a lot more trickery than this.

Then again, this is the guy who's bungled the intro to their most famous song repeatedly so who knows.

it's not hard at all to play U2 songs. I can't think of anyone whose parts are easier to play than Edge. And I'm not knocking him at all for that - it's genius on his part. I really wish they'd bring an extra musician on stage though. They're so into the "authentic" FOUR GUYS ON STAGE thing that the backing tracks and hidden playing they rely on makes it seem even more lame.

I'm sorry, who's the troll...?

I have plenty of conversations, you made it clear from day one you didn't come here for real back and forth, so I don't have them with you.

But then again, if you noticed, you don't have them with anyone.

Why don't you both try shutting the fuck up and stop engaging with each other?

I'll bet a lot of people here are sick of it.

Or you can wait for Diemen to come back and tell you himself.

U2 has been using backing tracks and stuff for quite a while and they've used pre-recorded guitar parts forever. the Edge even has a dedicated pedal/footswitch for triggering pre-recorded sounds. it's not like other acts don't do that; some acts even have some iPod sitting in the back to cue some sounds. or they might have some loopers with memories.

it's not hard at all to play U2 songs. I can't think of anyone whose parts are easier to play than Edge. And I'm not knocking him at all for that - it's genius on his part. I really wish they'd bring an extra musician on stage though. They're so into the "authentic" FOUR GUYS ON STAGE thing that the backing tracks and hidden playing they rely on makes it seem even more lame.

This really is a misrepresentation of what Edge does.

If you strip away the effects and pedels and what not, yea, sure... he's not playing the hardest parts in the world. But his creation of these sounds and sonic landscapes are not as easy as you're making it out to be.

Hey, so they’re filming stuff from the Mexico shows.. oddly enough they filmed the PopMart concert 20 years ago (in December) at the same venue.

great suggestion. similar to one a few pages back. and when I post again, and get a typical idiot response such as 'tth' - you can handle that for me or just bring in the big guns.

thanks.

click clack.

if you guys have beef, either squash it or PM each other to figure it out. nobody wants to read it.

True story-
At one of the Chicago I&E shows the wife and I had seats about 10 rows up on edges side of the stage. We were directly in line w the front edge of the stage.

During ‘...The Real Thing’ when the band was in the screen off to my right, I looked to the stage and saw a tall, black-clad dude with flowing hair stomping on, I presume, a guitar effect pedal. He was using a rocking motion, like one would on a WahWah, which leads me to deduce he was likely activating the Digitech Whammy pedal which is responsible for the tune’s signature hook.

It was fascinating to watch.

True story-
At one of the Chicago I&E shows the wife and I had seats about 10 rows up on edges side of the stage. We were directly in line w the front edge of the stage.

During ‘...The Real Thing’ when the band was in the screen off to my right, I looked to the stage and saw a tall, black-clad dude with flowing hair stomping on, I presume, a guitar effect pedal. He was using a rocking motion, like one would on a WahWah, which leads me to deduce he was likely activating the Digitech Whammy pedal which is responsible for the tune’s signature hook.

It was fascinating to watch.

Yes, Dallas, Edge's guitar tech, operated wah and whammy pedal when Edge couldn't do it for various reasons. we should all know that by now. like, Dallas operated wah during GOYB, for example

click clack.

if you guys have beef, either squash it or PM each other to figure it out. nobody wants to read it.

Yeah, follow this advice, please. No one cares and/or wants to read your feud carried on throughout this thread and others. Set each other on ignore if you have to, but drop it already.

Regarding Edge's (non)playing, I'd consider two factors:

1) Performing the song still being relatively new to them, and -
2) The show getting filmed for an official release.

It could be that he felt shaky about that particular part for whatever reason, and just had backup since they were filming it. Not a big leap from stuff like editing bits and pieces from different nights together, or changing lighting to make it look better for cameras. They do plenty already to polish things as they want for concert videos. Could've just been something that was done in-concert to make it sound better later.

This really is a misrepresentation of what Edge does.

If you strip away the effects and pedels and what not, yea, sure... he's not playing the hardest parts in the world. But his creation of these sounds and sonic landscapes are not as easy as you're making it out to be.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that what he does is easy, just that the riffs themselves are simple to play. But arriving at them and the layering...there's nothing easy about that! I don't think it's hard for him to do live though, aside from using the correct effects. And how much of that is actually controlled by him?

Yes, Dallas, Edge's guitar tech, operated wah and whammy pedal when Edge couldn't do it for various reasons. we should all know that by now. like, Dallas operated wah during GOYB, for example

It's only a very small step to making the sensible decision to have him on stage all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom