SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The band or someone with the band MUST recognize how awful the SD acoustic version sounded and went over compared to the pop version. They need to put more energy into the full pop version and figure that out because another EBW treatment is not going to go over well.

Slow Dancing?

fna- interesting observation. I think that does say something good about this effort. I suppose I'll listen to the acoustic version at some point. I have little interest tho. The is a cool pop rock song, acoustic often is boring to me (with exceptions) when I have a full band version to listen to and enjoy.

WFUV-FM (college radio, Bronx ny) is still playing it, so that's a positive sign. Their listeners run a gamut in terms of music interests and ages. I think that's a plus, too.
Guess I should take a peek at the charts just to cheer our guys on. Ages ago would checkout Billboard at the library for a very few bands.

#282 thanks irving. the public WiFi conked out (no wifi at home) just as I started to reply similarly. 'nuff said.

I think the acoustic version is ok as a b side but utterly awful for a live setting.

The single version has grown on me immensely though - it’s an incredibly catchy pop song and to be honest, if they can’t have a “hit” with something like that, then they should realise they’re clogging a dead horse and stop worrying about crafting that perfect single they seem to keep chasing.

Times move on and they need to adjust expectations given the music industry has changed beyond all recognition and how long they’ve been around. They’re still able to sell out stadiums all over the world and put out whatever music they choose. Just go with it.

It’s weird we don’t know anything more about the album yet and can’t pre order it, but I’m sure it’s coming soon....

In other words, they're doing okay with formats that cater to the olds, not so much with formats that cater to the youngs.

I think radio may still have more youngs listening to it than you might think. I realize this is just anecdotal, but most of my friends (ages 22-25; college-educated YoPros) at least listen to FM radio while driving.

You live in DC, right? Could be more common in places like Texas where people, well, drive a lot.

Last edited:
I think radio may still have more youngs listening to it than you might think. I realize this is just anecdotal, but most of my friends (ages 22-25; college-educated YoPros) at least listen to FM radio while driving.

You live in DC, right? Could be more common in places like Texas where people, well, drive a lot.
So in that avg half hour drive to work... that's what, 4 songs per morning tops? Possibly just 3 if they're listening to a dopey morning show with their fake prank phone calls and all to get through?

That sort of proves the point that radio is on life support.

U2 exposed!!!

He plays it up until he sings, then he has problems with his microphone so he puts his hand up to put that right, but no break in sound and you can still hear the guitar as normal. It's obvious edge isn't playing at that moment in time. Then he starts playing after he has sung his part of the song

Would it be a track that's playing or would it just be some back up guitarist playing in the underworld ? It's clearly not edge anyway

He plays it up until he sings, then he has problems with his microphone so he puts his hand up to put that right, but no break in sound and you can still hear the guitar as normal. It's obvious edge isn't playing at that moment in time. Then he starts playing after he has sung his part of the song

Would it be a track that's playing or would it just be some back up guitarist playing in the underworld ? It's clearly not edge anyway
I haven't heard it, but I'd guess a backing track... similar to what they did on Invisible during i/e.

Hardly the first time they've padded the guitar sound by using backing tracks. Seems to happen more often since B fell off his bike, but certainly was done every now and then before as well.

Take this for example...

https://youtu.be/9Bn2-iJbvbU

Clearly two guitars playing right after the chorus, but the siren guitar sound is clearly either a loop activated by Edge or just part of a backing track.

Last edited:
Well there's two guitars parts going on there, what do you expect them to do?

Michael-Angelo-Batio.jpg

I'm surprised no one mentioned how edge walks away from the piano but it's still playing on Little Things. Good grief guys.

Well there's two guitars parts going on there, what do you expect them to do?

yeah, but he's not playing any guitar, is he?

nothing new to have second guitarist helping out from below.. but I dont think it's necessary here

Hey guys. Just wanted to share this. I did a mix of TBT. I took the Sci-fi and the acoustic versions and did a mix. It gives a good build, I went with the lower register as the lead. Sorry it has a couple of tiny spots with some phasing issues, but you get the idea.

I tried to put it on soundcloud but its getting taken down right away. sigh.

Can i send it to someone and they can host it somewhere that is stable??? Pretty please. lemme know

I'm surprised no one mentioned how edge walks away from the piano but it's still playing on Little Things. Good grief guys.

I believe he sets a loop as it's like two or three notes over and over.

His guitar rig also has a lot of sequencers for strings, and other backing parts.

U2 has always used backing tracks. Hell, Ultraviolet has a 3rd voice on it live.

I am a little surprised that Edge would need a backing track for TBT, as I can't imagine the notes he's playing while he sings would give him too much trouble.

And I listened to the clip, the guitar that is playing is very faint.

Or maybe U2 have never actually learned to play their instruments and this is the biggest cop out since Mili Vanilli

as headache said, see invisible.

there's probably a couple things at play here... most notably, they're not confident in how it sounds live. having heard them soundcheck songs ad nauseum, they are as perfectionist live as they are in studio. during "raised by wolves" soundcheck, bono spent probably the better part of the hour on getting the wolf noises or heavy breathing or whatever down.

it's the new single, and if part of it is pre recorded, i'm not shocked. like somebody else said, it doesn't seem like a complex guitar part for edge, so i'm not sure what the deal here is. i think he's played it live on the other performances, so it's probably something to do with the layering. maybe he even just forgot what he was supposed to play there/was having headset difficulties too.

but yea, this is nothing terribly new.

as headache said, see invisible.

there's probably a couple things at play here... most notably, they're not confident in how it sounds live. having heard them soundcheck songs ad nauseum, they are as perfectionist live as they are in studio. during "raised by wolves" soundcheck, bono spent probably the better part of the hour on getting the wolf noises or heavy breathing or whatever down.

it's the new single, and if part of it is pre recorded, i'm not shocked. like somebody else said, it doesn't seem like a complex guitar part for edge, so i'm not sure what the deal here is. i think he's played it live on the other performances, so it's probably something to do with the layering. maybe he even just forgot what he was supposed to play there/was having headset difficulties too.

but yea, this is nothing terribly new.

it's not really like Invisible because Edge isn't actually playing anything (or at least anything audible). There's only one guitar part happening to my ears, and the guitarist on stage isn't playing it.

I'm not going to dwell on it, because there might be good reason for it on this occasion. But it's pretty different from other instances where Edge is accompanied by Dallas, below

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom