SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned this in the TBT Chart thread but while this song hasn’t achieved anything yet, it’s already a bigger radio hit than any song from the SOI era (including Invisible and Ordinary Love).

It’s only about 100 daily plays away from the peaks of both Magnificent and Boots(both of those are still well ahead in potential audience impressions but that gap is closing fast).

I’m still digging this song and keep noticing more sounds and melodies that I haven’t heard on previous listens.

Another interesting thing to note is that out of all the artists I saw on that hot ac chart, U2s the only one who has 40 plus years on them. That’s a feat in itself imo that they can still chart with the currents. Hell most those acts were not even around during ATYCLB era...

Do you guys reckon we will get tour dates with the album announcement like U2Songs suggested?

Wasn't Best Thing just played on Fallon?

Ordinary Love gets shit around here, but it's still the highest charting song they've released in the SOI/SOE era.

It was of course, which is why I listed the Oscar performance/nomination first and said plus Fallon but I should have been more clear:

The song hit the Hot 100 for only 2 weeks in March 2014(it was released in October 2013). It peaked at a time where U2 were nominated and performed for a TV audience of over 40 million people and that is very likely the reason it charted at 84. Fallon likely had very little impact on their chart position.

From a radio perspective: TBT is their biggest “hit”(it’s not a hit song...yet) since Magnificent.

From a Hot 100 perspective (which is more important and relevant)....Ordinary Love is their biggest hit since Boots hit 37 and stayed on the charts for ~3 weeks.

However, every single since the Bomb singles have been a dud when you look at the big picture but that might change in the near future ;)

It was of course, which is why I listed the Oscar performance/nomination first and said plus Fallon but I should have been more clear:

The song hit the Hot 100 for only 2 weeks in March 2014(it was released in October 2013). It peaked at a time where U2 were nominated and performed for a TV audience of over 40 million people and that is very likely the reason it charted at 84. Fallon likely had very little impact on their chart position.

From a radio perspective: TBT is their biggest “hit”(it’s not a hit song...yet) since Magnificent.

From a Hot 100 perspective (which is more important and relevant)....Ordinary Love is their biggest hit since Boots hit 37 and stayed on the charts for ~3 weeks.

However, every single since the Bomb singles have been a dud when you look at the big picture but that might change in the near future ;)

I think OL got a much bigger boost from streaming and youtube views than radio, which caused the short boost up onto the hot100. OL got something like 40 million views while songs like Invisible, Miracle, EBW, SFS, etc... haven't reached half that amount (and that's taking all seperate youtube versions into account). A huge event like the Oscars will pull in a huge amount of non regular fans for a short period.
My hope is that TBT continues to grow organically on the radio which will in turn into more streams/views/downloads.

I think if they can crack the top20 on HotAC, while staying steady or moving up slightly on AAA and Alt would be a pretty big deal for this song.

To have it surpass the success of NLOTH singles would be huge for this stage of their career.

Who gives a turkey about just radio in 2017? Streaming and YouTube hits absolutely count in figuring out if a song made an impact. It's how most non olds listen to music.

I totally agree. I'm just speculating on how OL made it briefly onto the HOT100.
I think we all know that U2 won't have a bona fide "hit" anymore. But I do think if you have them reaching a decent sized radio audience for an extended period of time, and is actually heard by a wider audience, it would be considered more successful of a tune.
By either measure, we are putting this in the context of a successful song for an old rock band. They are doing as well or better than Chili Peppers, Greenday, Arcade Fire, The Killers, Metallica, Foos, Beck, etc...

And radio is still a powerful platform.

A survey from Nielsen estimated that about 65.2 million people in the U.S. aged 18 to 34 years listen to traditional broadcast radio each week, usually as they're commuting to/from work. That's roughly half of all people in that age group

And lots of people are streaming, but they are streaming "stations" and playlists that are often a mirror of what is happening on traditional radio.

Rock in general pretty much sucks balls with streaming and view numbers in comparison to straight pop, rap/R&B.

Ninety-three percent of U.S. adults listen to radio weekly, according to Nielsen. But a great deal of listening is shifting online. Fifty-seven percent of U.S. adults ages 12 and over had listened to online radio in the past month, according to the 2016 Infinite Dial report from Edison Research and Triton Digital, and the number of people who own a radio at home is decreasing

They are all linked. If a song is played heavily on radio, more people hear it and go to the video on you tube. That is where they will see granny glass wearing Bono.

With OL, it was possibly a combo of sales and views of the video that likely were linked to the Oscar performance(I.e. that song was interesting, let me go find the vid or buy the song)

I think we all know that U2 won't have a bona fide "hit" anymore. But I do think if you have them reaching a decent sized radio audience for an extended period of time, and is actually heard by a wider audience, it would be considered more successful of a tune.

I am of the belief that this song will enter the Hot 100. How high will it go...TBD but this is a catchy as fuck song and the very reason some here hate it is why it might succeed....it was built for radio and the masses.

If they can get this song to be a radio hit on Hot AC and Alternative, YouTube views will follow as well as sales(not sure about streaming).

Don’t be shocked if they have a promo appearance lined up as the radio play starts to rise higher and higher.

I am of the belief that this song will enter the Hot 100. How high will it go...TBD but this is a catchy as fuck song and the very reason some here hate it is why it might succeed....it was built for radio and the masses.

If they can get this song to be a radio hit on Hot AC and Alternative, YouTube views will follow as well as sales(not sure about streaming).

Don’t be shocked if they have a promo appearance lined up as the radio play starts to rise higher and higher.

any clue on the numbers that are getting songs into the bottom 25 of the Hot100? I know its very convoluted now, with a whole mixed back of bullshit making up the numbers, but it might be interesting to see what sort of numbers TBT would have to hit to even come close...
I'm guessing they would need to hit top 15-20 on HOT AC, stay in the top 5 on AAA and stay above 20 on Alt, while also entering the AC chart. Then doing some promo that might boost some streams and views, which might let them peak into the very bottom of the hot100

Who gives a turkey about just radio in 2017? Streaming and YouTube hits absolutely count in figuring out if a song made an impact. It's how most non olds listen to music.

I assume they're tackling all fronts, but radio still gets a good share of attention for discovering music. That will probably decrease in later years as the older generations become less in numbers, but yeah.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallm...for-music-discovery-infographic/#59c916cc34c8

any clue on the numbers that are getting songs into the bottom 25 of the Hot100? I know its very convoluted now, with a whole mixed back of bullshit making up the numbers, but it might be interesting to see what sort of numbers TBT would have to hit to even come close...

I'm guessing they would need to hit top 15-20 on HOT AC, stay in the top 5 on AAA and stay above 20 on Alt, while also entering the AC chart. Then doing some promo that might boost some streams and views, which might let them peak into the very bottom of the hot100

Wow American charts are really really complicated:) hot, ac ,aaa ,alt :)

We will just stick to the uk top 40 here :)

Ok, this is really a rough guide.

Selena Gomez' song - Fetish is at number 96 on Billboard hot100

She has about 2000 spins on radio
she's number 178 on itunes downloads
1.6 million Spotify streams for 7 days
683k youtube views in 24 hours!

So for TBT
We've got... 2700 spins
Number 250 or so on itunes
I'm approximating somewhere around 500k to 800k spotify streams
and only getting about 300k youtube views per day

So they aren't completely out of the ballpark, but still have a ways to go, and it does look like radio will be the key for them beyond the other numbers...

In other words, they're doing okay with formats that cater to the olds, not so much with formats that cater to the youngs.

correcto. I know there are other contributers like iTunes radio and amazon prime, which may bring in a bit of an older audience. But in reality they need to make up with radio what they, and so many rock bands lack in the other categories.
There are a ton of country songs on the bottom area of the hot100 and those are highly driven by radio. But country radio reaches a really large audience cause every city to podunk town has at least 1 or 5 country stations.

You must get off on being a dick. Seriously he reported an update with the blindingly obvious inference that it is for a release. Yes they record everything, but every official release has been planned, involves more cameras etc.

actually I don't, I was just having a bit of sarcasm. You know - the stuff that constitutes 90% of the posts on this forum?

thanks for not calling me a c--t though, I appreciate that at least.

Pretty sure its time for that whole thing to be dropped completely. suck it up and don't feel the need to get the last word and lets talk about the band please.

I am a little concerned they keep peddling this acoustic version live? Looks like that's what they are going with tonight as well, hopefully doesn't lead to yet more tinkering of the album :(

I am a little concerned they keep peddling this acoustic version live? Looks like that's what they are going with tonight as well, hopefully doesn't lead to yet more tinkering of the album :(

The band or someone with the band MUST recognize how awful the SD acoustic version sounded and went over compared to the pop version. They need to put more energy into the full pop version and figure that out because another EBW treatment is not going to go over well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom