SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Best Thing acoustic is the best one so far. It's not a mess, Bono's not screeching...sounds good! Solid 6/10 track.

But FUCK ME, EBTTRT came up next on Spotify and FUCKING HELL THIS SONG IS AMAZING

U2 MOTHERFUCKERS! They fucking had it. They've lost it, but goddamn were they good!

Any term can evoke sexual violence, depending on its context. Cunt basically never does. Unless Americans use it differently from everyone else, which is highly likely.

no, it pretty much always connotes sexual violence -- it's reductive of a woman to a body part, and the most crass term for a body part. i can understand that it's meaning can differ when it comes to context, but a man using that term to describe a woman is no different than a white person using the n-word towards a black person, or any other racial slur towards any other group. it's meant to degrade and dehumanize.

no, it pretty much always connotes sexual violence -- it's reductive of a woman to a body part, and the most crass term for a body part. i can understand that it's meaning can differ when it comes to context, but a man using that term to describe a woman is no different than a white person using the n-word towards a black person, or any other racial slur towards any other group. it's meant to degrade and dehumanize.

Exactly. In the US, it's completely and totally offensive. Even people who curse all the time never say it. You can say fuck and shit and only offend some people while others wouldn't bat an eyelash. But if you dropped the c-word in the US, you would get audible gasps and 99/100 people would be offended.

I think there are bits of each of the three commercially released versions of The Best Thing that are good.

The second verse of the acoustic version is amazing.
The post chorus with the chopped up bits of Bono from Kygo is amazing.
The bass and drums of the single version is amazing.
The guitar solo guitar part in the chorus of the acoustic and Kygo versions is amazing.
Edge on the bridge is amazing (in all versions).

The song is not as bad as people are saying. I wish I could try my hand at remixing it from the stems. But that'll never happen.

Last edited:

where to begin...

calling a man a dick reduces them to a body part, does it connote sexual violence? of course not!

most insults are meant to degrade and dehumanize.

the n word carries the implication of ownership of that person, of that person being legally secondary. The k word carries the memory of genocide and thousands of years of global persecution. To equate a word that's on par with dick or asshole to those words is to lessen the horror of those words, which is admittedly in the American interest, given their long history of prominent white supremacy.

that being said, I generally don't call women cunts because it carries a weight against them that it doesn't carry against men. it really needs to be saved for the Ann Coulters of the world. Whereas it's totally acceptable to call Trump a cunt. In fact, it should be mandatory.

Last edited:
I think there are bits of each of the three commercially released versions of The Best Thing that are good.

The second verse of the acoustic version is amazing.
The post chorus with the chopped up bits of Bono from Kygo is amazing.
The bass and drums of the single version is amazing.
The guitar solo guitar part in the chorus of the acoustic and Kygo versions is amazing.
Edge on the bridge is amazing (in all versions).

The song is not as bad as people are saying. I wish I could try my hand at remixing it from the stems. But that'll never happen.

u2 should release the stems and let fans mix their own versions because they don't seem to know what to do with it.

or maybe they should just give the stems - all one trillion tracks that they've probably recorded for the thing - to Flood to mix.

where to begin...

calling a man a dick reduces them to a body part, does it connote sexual violence? of course not!

most insults are meant to degrade and dehumanize.

the n word carries the implication of ownership of that person, of that person being legally secondary. The k word carries the memory of genocide and thousands of years of global persecution. To equate a word that's on par with dick or asshole to those words is to lessen the horror of those words, which is admittedly in the American interest, given their long history of prominent white supremacy.

that being said, I generally don't call women cunts because it carries a weight against them that it doesn't carry against men. it really needs to be saved for the Ann Coulters of the world. Whereas it's totally acceptable to call Trump a cunt. In fact, it should be mandatory.

:rolleyes:

are you serious? you're essentially making the white-guy-doesn't-want-to-be-told-he-can't-use-the-n-word argument, and if that's the historically ignorant (as if women have't been owned, as if women haven't been legally secondary, as if women aren't mostly likely to be murdered by their domestic partners, as if women aren't sold into sexual slavery, as if mass rape hasn't been a feature of warfare for millennia) argument you want to make a fool out of yourself defending, all so you can use a vile word, by all means, go ahead and do so.

i don't care how offensive Ann Coulter is, i still wouldn't call her (nor Trump) a slur like that.

Maybe learn more words?

CONFIRMED NEW RELEASE: The Blackout (Explicit Mix)

Dinosaur, wonders why it still walks the earth, yeah
A meteor promises it's not gonna hurt, yeah
Earthquakes always happen when you're in bed, Cunt
The house shakes
Maybe it was something I said, you little Munt

Go easy on me
Easy on me, brother
Go easy on me
Easy on me now

When the lights go out
And you throw yourself about
In the darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

Statues fall
Democracy's flat on its back, Fuck
We had it all
And what we had is not coming back, you stupid Buck
A big mouth says the people
They don't wanna be free for free
A blackout
Is this an extinction event we see

Well explained , thanks

Sorry Diemen, I think I'm responsible for bringing the cuss convo into this thread.
My question was genuine, re why the c word is so offensive, and it's been answered. I'm amazed it means sexual violence to women. Truly, if I bang my thumb with a hammer I'd say c... and so would most people I know. So yeah...
Fyi, I don't think I've ever heard a woman be called a c... in NZ. It's strictly directed at men or at situations.

So yeah. Sorry.

Wow, that's headline stuff.

New scoop: they film every show.

You must get off on being a dick. Seriously he reported an update with the blindingly obvious inference that it is for a release. Yes they record everything, but every official release has been planned, involves more cameras etc.

I mentioned this in the TBT Chart thread but while this song hasn’t achieved anything yet, it’s already a bigger radio hit than any song from the SOI era (including Invisible and Ordinary Love).

It’s only about 100 daily plays away from the peaks of both Magnificent and Boots(both of those are still well ahead in potential audience impressions but that gap is closing fast).

I’m still digging this song and keep noticing more sounds and melodies that I haven’t heard on previous listens.

I mentioned this in the TBT Chart thread but while this song hasn’t achieved anything yet, it’s already a bigger radio hit than any song from the SOI era (including Invisible and Ordinary Love).

It’s only about 100 daily plays away from the peaks of both Magnificent and Boots(both of those are still well ahead in potential audience impressions but that gap is closing fast).

I’m still digging this song and keep noticing more sounds and melodies that I haven’t heard on previous listens.
Ordinary Love hit 84 on the Billboard 100

True but it was a radio dud, I’m just speaking specifically of radio play. I think OL went that high based on sales due to it Oscar nomination/performance plus the Fallon performance.
Wasn't Best Thing just played on Fallon?

Ordinary Love gets shit around here, but it's still the highest charting song they've released in the SOI/SOE era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom