SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #136
Refugee
 
DeVaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,100
Local Time: 09:15 AM
You're making a bigger deal out of my opinion than I am. I have no idea how long it's in the video and I definitely don't think they're trying to offend anyone. Using a memorial tribute as background scenery for a music video just strikes me as a dubious choice. It was intentional, not incidental. Like I said - kinda icky.
__________________

__________________
DeVaul is offline  
Old 09-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 3,947
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVaul View Post
You're making a bigger deal out of my opinion than I am. I have no idea how long it's in the video and I definitely don't think they're trying to offend anyone. Using a memorial tribute as background scenery for a music video just strikes me as a dubious choice. It was intentional, not incidental. Like I said - kinda icky.
I get your view. But after watching the full video, it seems like the band is celebrating the diversity, openness, liberty and freedom that America represents. The lights that shine, showing the country's resilience against adversity. Much more a celebration and showcasing of what makes America great in the eyes of so many around the world.
And now many of them seeing us as "walking away" from that...
__________________

__________________
womanfish is online now  
Old 09-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #138
Refugee
 
DeVaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,100
Local Time: 09:15 AM
Sure and I agree it works fine in the context. Seeing the preview gave me some pause because the band has continually made boneheaded decisions.
__________________
DeVaul is offline  
Old 09-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #139
Acrobat
 
patternshirt170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 357
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Another video, (perhaps the final part of a 30year trilogy?) in the spirit of Still Haven't Found and All Because Of You. It's a preferable visual statement to the slightly 1984esque pofaced post-rich asshole videos I've seen from other acts since January, so perhaps this "joy as an act of defiance" thing is not so bad then...

The timing and I don't mean political? there was a time not so long ago when your big artists had their music video and their song (plus other exciting formats) ready to go from the release date, whereas now there is this odd momentum sapping delay, where the song can essentially die a death on the chart and the video appears too late to really give it a second wind. Btw it's goofy and really rubbish in bits (the... selfies), but given what's "popular"? it's better fun than sepia Adele, Ed Sheeran gurning with his banjo on a barge and Sam Smith looking glum out on the winding windy moors...
__________________
patternshirt170 is offline  
Old 09-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 3,947
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternshirt170 View Post
Another video, (perhaps the final part of a 30year trilogy?) in the spirit of Still Haven't Found and All Because Of You. It's a preferable visual statement to the slightly 1984esque pofaced post-rich asshole videos I've seen from other acts since January, so perhaps this "joy as an act of defiance" thing is not so bad then...

The timing and I don't mean political? there was a time not so long ago when your big artists had their music video and their song (plus other exciting formats) ready to go from the release date, whereas now there is this odd momentum sapping delay, where the song can essentially die a death on the chart and the video appears too late to really give it a second wind. Btw it's goofy and really rubbish in bits (the... selfies), but given what's "popular"? it's better fun than sepia Adele, Ed Sheeran gurning with his banjo on a barge and Sam Smith looking glum out on the winding windy moors...
The song really isn't dying a death on the charts. It has stalled a bit on straight rock formats, but I'm kinda surprised it even got played on straight rock formats. But it is at number 2 on Hot Rock songs chart, their highest notch on that chart (The chart has only been around about 6 years)

It has increased daily on HotAC and Alt stations since release. I am thinking it will continue to grow on AC for a while. It definitely could have used another TV appearance in this time off before Mexico, but doesn't look like it.

I'm not pronouncing it out until spins start to stall on AC
__________________
womanfish is online now  
Old 09-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #141
Refugee
 
Gonna Run 2 U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,489
Local Time: 02:15 PM
SOE 28 - This is Meaningless. We're not getting anything newsworthy for a while

Love the video but as an American I really could use the break from people shoving American values down my throat. I know that's what's trendy and all but sheesh.
__________________
Gonna Run 2 U is online now  
Old 09-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Registered Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NWT
Posts: 4,576
Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
Love the video but as an American I really could use the break from people shoving American values down my throat. I know that's what's trendy and all but sheesh.
Rest of the planet agrees with you wholeheartedly
__________________
Registered Dude is online now  
Old 09-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #143
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,521
Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
Love the video but as an American I really could use the break from people shoving American values down my throat. I know that's what's trendy and all but sheesh.


All the cool kids are doing it...
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 09-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,632
Local Time: 01:15 AM
As an outsider, it is kind of refreshing to have someone who isn’t American highlighting the positives, because all we see is the orange turd forcing us all to the to the brink of nuclear war.
__________________
dan_smee is offline  
Old 09-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #145
Refugee
 
Gonna Run 2 U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,489
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
All the cool kids are doing it...


You ain't cool unless you pee your pants!
__________________
Gonna Run 2 U is online now  
Old 09-27-2017, 10:48 PM   #146
War Child
 
purpleblackeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 628
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
As an outsider, it is kind of refreshing to have someone who isn’t American highlighting the positives, because all we see is the orange turd forcing us all to the to the brink of nuclear war.
Amen.
__________________
purpleblackeye is online now  
Old 09-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #147
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 55,744
Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
You ain't cool unless you pee your pants!
Consider me Myles Davis
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 09-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,930
Local Time: 06:15 AM
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 03:30 AM   #149
The Fly
 
Maassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 164
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Playboy Mansion tonight?
__________________
Maassie is offline  
Old 09-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,196
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maassie View Post
Playboy Mansion tonight?


Tonight? What's happening tonight?
__________________

__________________
KUEFC09U2 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com