SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
The lead single "You're the Best Thing About me" is out and the album cycle is in full push now....discuss!!!

If the rumors of a December album release are true, then it feels kinda early to release 2 singles.

Curious to hear blackout studio version but judging by TBT, they have overcooked this album again and can't imagine we'll get interesting Edge ever again

From U2.com

Songs of Experience will be available on CD, vinyl and digital download, with the release date and pre-order details to be announced soon.

Pretty confident that the long time rumour of Dec 1st being true. Especially after Dave Fanning mentioned that date on the radio earlier.

From U2.com

Pretty confident that the long time rumour of Dec 1st being true. Especially after Dave Fanning mentioned that date on the radio earlier.

How soon do we think though? Considering it was going to all be announced today

How soon do we think though? Considering it was going to all be announced today

Fallon announcement most likely, unless they are talking to any radio stations today?

I think if the JT tour wasn't extended they would have announced the album by now such is the awkward position they have put themselves in.

I'm all meh in regards to this song. Some solid melody, but the tempo doesn't feel right, the song doesn't really change levels of energy, and the production is a little wierd.

It sounds like 60s pop (not a criticism, just an observation). I expect a big bass line on the chorus like contemporary pop, but it's mostly vocals and very light guitar. Breezy. It's different, not sure if better yet

Last edited:
Dynamics are bit off. honestly i could deal with melodies and campiness. but that choruses, man. why does it get quieter?

So far I'm liking it. It does sound like it needs more space, but it's like an REM, Coldplay single, with Beck violins. I love the bass.

As this is the album discussion and not best thing, did anyone catch what Bono said on the absolute radio interview?

After a couple listens, I'm thrown for a loop because this sounds more like contemporary Beach Boys than U2. Vocal melody is lovely, but it's so lightweight it feel like it could blow away; not exactly a big mission statement. The fact that it's not bombastic may help, but I actually like my U2 huge and bombastic.

From the NY Times:

U2 released “The Blackout” as a performance video at the end of August. It’s a buzzing, thumping rocker that begins, “Dinosaur wonders why it still walks the earth” and later wonders, “Is this an extinction event”; it also observes, “Statues fall/Democracy is flat on its back.” In writing and rewriting the song, Bono said, “I made it about democracy, not an aging rock star.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/arts/music/u2-songs-of-experience-interview.html?_r=0

“All our best work has that pull between experimental on one hand and pop clarity on the other,” Bono said

It's a shame the pop clarity hand has taken over the last 17 years...

Back
Top Bottom