SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins - Page 68 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #1006
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,669
Local Time: 12:57 AM
SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
I think Boots had zero effect on U2's popularity whatsoever.

SOI is without a doubt the deal-breaker.


Soi got the reaction it did though because nobody was interested in new u2 anymore . People didn't want it. If bomb had of been released the same way everyone would have gone mad but in a good way.

Boots and nloth lost the interest of the non fan which led to the backlash when u2 gave away an album that nobody apart from the fans wanted
__________________

__________________
rennowba is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #1007
War Child
 
TinKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 683
Local Time: 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
if they wanted to take advantage of whatever relevance they held onto with HTDAAB, they probably shoulndt have waited 5 years

I think this is ultimately what it comes down to.

But that's only in terms of new music. I don't think the public at large really cared if U2 had new music or not. 360 was a massive success, and I'd say that was the last time that the overall impression of U2 was positive.

I do think their image is rebounding, slowly but surely.
__________________

__________________
TinKnight is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #1008
War Child
 
TinKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 683
Local Time: 05:57 PM
I'll never forget the franticness of trying to get SOI onto my iPhone. For whatever reason it didn't show up for like four hours. I had to steal my girlfriends phone and listen to it from the shitty phone speakers because my car didn't play nice with her phone.

Probably the like 0.005% of people who wanted the album and I just couldn't get it.
__________________
TinKnight is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #1009
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,669
Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
I think this is ultimately what it comes down to.



But that's only in terms of new music. I don't think the public at large really cared if U2 had new music or not. 360 was a massive success, and I'd say that was the last time that the overall impression of U2 was positive.



I do think their image is rebounding, slowly but surely.


Nloth sold really well for its time and compared to other artists that year. What was it 5 million copies sold. In the top ten best selling list of the year. People still wanted new u2 music then, the sales figures proved it. Boots and nloth lost that interests for most people apart from the fans
__________________
rennowba is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #1010
War Child
 
TinKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 683
Local Time: 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
Boots and nloth lost that interests for most people apart from the fans
I really don't think so.

I know people here hate Boots, but it's reputation out in the rest of the world is non-existent. Why? It got like a week of solid airplay and then it disappeared. Literally no one has an opinion of it because they never heard it except for one week.
__________________
TinKnight is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #1011
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,669
Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
I really don't think so.

I know people here hate Boots, but it's reputation out in the rest of the world is non-existent. Why? It got like a week of solid airplay and then it disappeared. Literally no one has an opinion of it because they never heard it except for one week.


It was totally different in the uk. Boots was around for a long while here. The BBC campaign really pushed it
__________________
rennowba is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #1012
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,411
Local Time: 12:57 AM
SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

NLOTH may as well never happened, outside of the fan base. I know people who were fans of ATYCLB and HTDAAB that probably don't even know NLOTH ever existed. Their next opinion of U2 wasn't until SOI became such a big deal, and that wasn't really a good thing. That pretty much stuck a fork in them, as far as appealing to the masses. 4.5 years between HTDAAB and NLOTH, and it makes little impact, and then 5.5 years between NLOTH and SOI, which was their next big public impact, but it was a negative impact. So you have roughly a decade of nothing, and then suddenly all this negative publicity... not going to help matters. They really shouldn't have waited so long between albums... that was part of what killed it.

However, despite this, U2 are still one of the biggest live acts in the world. But now, it's all based on past achievements. Despite their best efforts, they're now at roughly the same point The Rolling Stones were at in the Bridges to Babylon era. New material is just an excuse to get out there rake in the millions off the tour. TBT is their equivalent of "Anybody seen my baby". I know that they probably hate it, but that's reality.
__________________
The_acrobat is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #1013
Refugee
 
Hollow Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,999
Local Time: 07:57 PM
let's just hope that it doesn't take U2 20 years to record whatever their Blue & Lonesome is.

boots may have disappeared but it got slammed when it came out, and nloth didn't get good reviews. people heard about it, and what they heard wasn't good

at the idea of young people caring about U2 playing at or winning Grammys. The only people who care about the Grammys are U2 and Kanye.

I think that Bono palling around with Bush Jr and Blair did as much to hurt their credibility in the 00s as the SOI release did. It made him, and by extension U2, seem to be in cahoots with the corporatist architects of the "War On Terror," and if there's anything that can be said about Young People in the 00s (of which I was one), it's that they did not fucking like George W Bush, Tony Blair, their wars, or Bush's service to the rich at the expense of everyone else.
__________________
Hollow Island is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #1014
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 55,172
Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
let's just hope that it doesn't take U2 20 years to record whatever their Blue & Lonesome is.

boots may have disappeared but it got slammed when it came out, and nloth didn't get good reviews. people heard about it, and what they heard wasn't good

at the idea of young people caring about U2 playing at or winning Grammys. The only people who care about the Grammys are U2 and Kanye.

I think that Bono palling around with Bush Jr and Blair did as much to hurt their credibility in the 00s as the SOI release did. It made him, and by extension U2, seem to be in cahoots with the corporatist architects of the "War On Terror," and if there's anything that can be said about Young People in the 00s (of which I was one), it's that they did not fucking like George W Bush, Tony Blair, their wars, or Bush's service to the rich at the expense of everyone else.
I honestly think most people don't give a crap about that. I don't think Bono's lost any sort of credibility at all. I think they're old, and this is the natural cycle of what happens when rock bands get old. Especially rock bands that are old but want to act like they aren't old yet.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 09-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #1015
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,669
Local Time: 12:57 AM
SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I honestly think most people don't give a crap about that. I don't think Bono's lost any sort of credibility at all. I think they're old, and this is the natural cycle of what happens when rock bands get old. Especially rock bands that are old but want to act like they aren't old yet.


I think the main comment I hear, especially off my circle of friends, is that they like the music but "Bono is a complete ####

Bono is fairly hated by most people here. It's got worse as times gone on, started around 2005.

I think the hate for Bono does over shadow u2 for a lot of people
__________________
rennowba is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #1016
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 55,172
Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
I think the main comment I hear, especially off my circle of friends, is that they like the music but "Bono is a complete ####

Bono is fairly hated by most people here. It's got worse as times gone on, started around 2005.

I think the hate for Bono does over shadow u2 for a lot of people
I get that there are those who dislike him but there are more who either like him or don't give a shit either way.

Regardless - their inability to get new music to breakthrough the mainstream is not a product of whether or not Bono is liked or disliked. He's always been sort of polarizing and it didn't stop massive commercial success for 30 some odd years.

They are just now at the point where they are too old to reach where the mainstream is. They're still massively popular, and are still probably the biggest live draw in the world. It's just that the fan base is old now, and that's never going back.

Trying to pander to the younger crowd in order to achieve the near impossible mainstream success will only further hurt their legacy, as it will cast a shadow over their body of work in the eyes of the younger generations. The JT30 tour was a great way to try and fix this. I just hope they don't throw it all away with shoddy SOE marketing decisions.

People need to stop trying to justify why they can't get a hit single anymore and just accept the natural course of things.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 09-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #1017
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,669
Local Time: 12:57 AM
SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I get that there are those who dislike him but there are more who either like him or don't give a shit either way.

Regardless - their inability to get new music to breakthrough the mainstream is not a product of whether or not Bono is liked or disliked. He's always been sort of polarizing and it didn't stop massive commercial success for 30 some odd years.

They are just now at the point where they are too old to reach where the mainstream is. They're still massively popular, and are still probably the biggest live draw in the world. It's just that the fan base is old now, and that's never going back.

Trying to pander to the younger crowd in order to achieve the near impossible mainstream success will only further hurt their legacy, as it will cast a shadow over their body of work in the eyes of the younger generations. The JT30 tour was a great way to try and fix this. I just hope they don't throw it all away with shoddy SOE marketing decisions.

People need to stop trying to justify why they can't get a hit single anymore and just accept the natural course of things.

I totally agree that a hit single isn't happening, if it did it would be their greatest achievement in my opinion. The boat has sailed for them but they had a great run more then more or less anyone at the top. I respect that they are still trying to achieve it but they need to take note what Alice cooper said a while back and just make music to please the fans. But saying that I love what I've heard of soe and I still love soi so I'm not complaining, what ever they are doing they are doing it right in my opinion
__________________
rennowba is offline  
Old 09-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #1018
Refugee
 
CosmoKramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,422
Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post

at the idea of young people caring about U2 playing at or winning Grammys. The only people who care about the Grammys are U2 and Kanye.


26 million people watched the 2001 Grammy awards (almost 20 million in 2006)....are you saying U2 being shown performing and winning several awards on that show didn't make any positive impression to the viewers at that time?

I guess then the Apple Ad did nothing either because who cares about commercials.

You wrote that any kid born in 1990 would essentially have negative/uncool associations with U2 and that's just not true up to 2009 or even 2014 for that matter.
__________________

__________________
CosmoKramer is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com