SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well...

They took 3 years instead of 5 to make a new album. We've heard three tracks and I think one of them is great and another one is good and the third is a bit of a mess but probably salvageable as a live song.

I just think they botched their chance at a radio hit, sadly.

(I know Best Thing is doing well on the iTunes charts... but I think their lead single was always going to make a bit of an initial splash).

I was one of the the first in the corner of why the hell would they release this as the first single. I'm hooked and based on reading comments in message boards this one is taking off. I think they got it right. I hope so as I would love to see the boys enjoy great success.

Last edited:
I was one of the the first in the corner of why the hell would they release this as the first single. I'm hooked and based in reading comments in message boards this one is taking off. I think they got it right.

I started the day in my car at my work listening to this song play for the first time in the radio. I cringed and thought it was a sloppy mess. I listened to it throughout the day.....I left my work blasting this song from my car.

It's infectious and while I don't think it's their best work, it's far from as bad as I thought it was on first listen.

From critical reviews to YouTube comments....people seem, for the moment, to be really digging this song.

We will see how it holds up.

The New York Times says Dec 1 release date. Looks like the media lockout is over, as there is a full-on write up of the recording sessions:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/arts/music/u2-songs-of-experience-interview.html
I like this part...

In writing and rewriting the song, Bono said, “I made it about democracy, not an aging rock star.”

Reads to me as if both popular lines of thought re: The Blackout were correct; it was originally about an aging rock star, but was rewritten to be political.

Thanks, Trump.

The Edges interview is interesting saying how any song on the album could be a single and they had a hard choice choosimg it. Deffiantly more singles before album drops. My guess is one in October and another around album launch.

Fallon says they're doing two songs tomorrow. Only mentioned Edge and Bono showing up though.

100% they(all 4) play You're The Best Thing About Me! I say that because U2.com sent an email that read:

"And tomorrow evening, Thursday, don’t miss the band on The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, performing ‘You’re The Best Thing About Me’, live for the first time."

In the german radio interview Edge menteins that Bono started writing these letter songs after some scare that he wouldnt be around much longer. I figured the bike accident.
But then in the dutch radio interview Bono menteins 'a couple scares', and again im thinking the bike accident amd perhaps the back surgry before that. But when pressed further on it, he menteins the bike accident 'and a few others since then'.

Did i miss this news? Is there any other known story that could qualify?

In the german radio interview Edge menteins that Bono started writing these letter songs after some scare that he wouldnt be around much longer. I figured the bike accident.
But then in the dutch radio interview Bono menteins 'a couple scares', and again im thinking the bike accident amd perhaps the back surgry before that. But when pressed further on it, he menteins the bike accident 'and a few others since then'.

He was on a plane and the language hatch opened or something along those lines....that would make your pants turn brown for sure.

That sounds like some sort of health scare rather than his accidents..... Not a nice thought. Been saying for a while he just doesn’t seem quite right, can’t put my finger on it.

Joshua Tree has some long titles and that worked out. I guess people forget about that.

It's whether or not a shorter version makes sense. You can't really call ISHFWILF just I Still Haven't Found; it's obviously incomplete. But why on earth you wouldn't use Stuck in a Moment, Crazy Tonight, The Best Thing, etc. is just beyond me.

Bono on 93XRT said that The Blackout is "the song you want to hear at the gig" but The Best Thing is "the song you want to hear on the radio in the morning," because it's more joyful, hence the choice of single.

No, I prefer not to puke in the morning.

We know of:
- Bike accident
- Back injury
- Glaucoma
- Airplane door falling off mid air
Wasn't Bono whisked away from his al fresco restaurant table in Nice as that fucking winner drove his truck through the crowds, killing dozens?
Ok, he was fine and safe but jaysus that would have a affected me.

Wasn't Bono whisked away from his al fresco restaurant table in Nice as that fucking winner drove his truck through the crowds, killing dozens?
Ok, he was fine and safe but jaysus that would have a affected me.

I think they had already left the same restaurant earlier or something.

Youtube comments on YTBTAM are uncharacteristically positive. No matter how many U2 fans there are there's usually 5 haters ready to scream 'TAX EVASION' and 'BONO'S A FAT TWAT' and 'CRAP SINCE THE EIGHTIES'.
Perhaps the haters are all busy. Or perhaps outside of this cracked blue fishbowl the song is doing ok.

100% they(all 4) play You're The Best Thing About Me! I say that because U2.com sent an email that read:

"And tomorrow evening, Thursday, don’t miss the band on The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, performing ‘You’re The Best Thing About Me’, live for the first time."

Ah, good! The way he worded it had me wondering for a second...

The real excitement for me is what will the second song be that they play and how will the crowd react to TBT live.

Fun times!!

Oh totally. Hopefully they play Blackout so we have a better quality rip of the song than what was shared on Facebook.

Back
Top Bottom