SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never really got fussed with song titles either way. Long ones are sort of annoying but whatever.

Yeah, but "Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way"?

Is there a more "on-the-nose" sentiment that has come out of Bono's mouth than that?

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised by Stop (The Poverty) in the slightest, except that it's too short a title.

It's hard to believe the same man that wrote:

Carnival
The wheels fly and the colors spin
Through alcohol
Red wine that punctures the skin
Face to face
In a dry and water less place

can say "Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way" and not want to punch himself.

Here come the killer bees
Head full o' honey
Elvis
The bumper stickers
Elvis
The white knickers
Elvis
Ate a cheeseburger and just kept getting bigger

:rockon:

It's hard to believe the same man that wrote:

Carnival
The wheels fly and the colors spin
Through alcohol
Red wine that punctures the skin
Face to face
In a dry and water less place

can say "Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way" and not want to punch himself.
The transition from Lemon and Mofo to Stand Up Comedy happened a long time ago and I've made peace with that somewhat.

Just wish he would try harder than to omit words altogether to make already bland lines fit the rhythm. I won't be able to listen to Best Thing's chorus without cringing.

The transition from Lemon and Mofo to Stand Up Comedy happened a long time ago and I've made peace with that somewhat.

Just wish he would try harder than to omit words altogether to make already bland lines fit the rhythm. I won't be able to listen to Best Thing's chorus without cringing.

It's not that I want every song to be an introspective, deep lyrically rich song. I like the Best Thing's chorus a lot, but that's because it is just being fun.

Stand Up Comedy is a completely different beast. You can't take yourself that seriously when your lyrics are that fucking stupid. "Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way" has zero subtly.

Album cuts have always been my favorite U2 songs so hopefully they shoveled out the shit with the songs they've put out so far from SOE and we're still in for the goods.

Bono recited the lyrics to The Blackout on one of the radio shows today and I noticed he left out the Ned and Fred stuff as he went. Selective self-censorship.

Cant read ur link. What did it say?

he went into writing this album as if it were their last - penning songs that are "to" his loved ones, bandmates, self and fans.

it didn't say that this was the last album. and i highly doubt it will be.

The Best Thing is not that terrible after all... but it won't get my attention, just that.
With this new song Blackout grows even more on me. What a blast!

Bono on 93XRT said that The Blackout is "the song you want to hear at the gig" but The Best Thing is "the song you want to hear on the radio in the morning," because it's more joyful, hence the choice of single.

No way, Jose.

The Blackout I want to hear again. The Best thing I can do without.

Back
Top Bottom