SOE- 27: And SOE it Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some guy posted something about The Killers & U2 would be announcing Australian toir dates soon. Well The Killers have announced theres.... now just waiting on U2 :sexywink:

So three songs from the album so far:

Little Things - decent lyrics, slow build, would be a nice album closer
Blackout - can't take this song seriously with the Ned, Ted lyrics and really basic out of place chorus, please fix this or make it a b side
Best Thing - good pop tune akin to Sweetest thing

Hope there are a couple of aggressive guitar tracks, with maybe some attitude and politically charged lyrics. Hope there is also something like Stateless.

What are your expectations based on what we have heard?

slightly different flying from Sydney to Texas than US to England

Yeah. Qantas's Sydney to Dallas route was, until recently, the longest regularly scheduled flight in the world.

Any Australian leg would either finish before Bono goes to Texas to get this award, or commence afterwards (if it's arenas; extremely unlikely you could book a stadium tour then with the AFL, NRL, and Super Rugby all on).

Blackout - can't take this song seriously with the Ned, Ted lyrics and really basic out of place chorus, please fix this or make it a b side

Sorry there is no Ted in that song but now you mention ot i wish Bono threw that in there.

"Get out of Bed Fred and eat some Bread Ted"

I honestly think YTBTAM is better than The Blackout, and by quite some distance too.

YTBTAM is memorable. I don't find it too poppy or too shallow like GOYB or TM(OJR) at all. Far from it. And it is very catchy, and I actually think it has good lyrics. This is coming from someone who doesn't think IGCIIDGCT is as terrible as everyone thinks.

The Blackout on the other hand... not terrible by all means, but IMO it's just a completely unmemorable generic rock track with barely any hook. And yes, the fred/ned stuff does ruin it too.

As for the little things.... I'd rank that 2nd out of the 3. It's a decent song, but not really that memorable or hooky, however as a song it is decent enough.

everybody getting a good sense of the kind of album we're getting with SOE?

we've heard a quarter of it.. here's how I'd characterize things
- song centric
- a "sound" that is dictated by the song (and not the other way around)
- 4 men in a room + 2017 production
- joyous with a healthy dose of melancholy

The Blackout on the other hand... not terrible by all means, but IMO it's just a completely unmemorable generic rock track with barely any hook. And yes, the fred/ned stuff does ruin it too..

Boom. Yes. I hope it gets reworked before release.

I think people praising the song in the beginning were blinded by it just being new U2 music. It's definitely a Volcano-esque song. Fine, but just fine.

I also think the "Throw yourselves about" lyric is much more egregious than the ned/fred business.

Last edited:
everybody getting a good sense of the kind of album we're getting with SOE?

we've heard a quarter of it.. here's how I'd characterize things
- song centric
- a "sound" that is dictated by the song (and not the other way around)
- 4 men in a room + 2017 production
- joyous with a healthy dose of melancholy

I think it's going to be a very disjointed final work, similar to No Line on the Horizon.

Which I'm fine with, but it's kind of weird, given that Songs of Innocence was so cohesive.

I think it's going to be a very disjointed final work, similar to No Line on the Horizon.

Which I'm fine with, but it's kind of weird, given that Songs of Innocence was so cohesive.

I'm thinking more of a "greatest hits"/ "Atomic bomb" type of disjointed, where each song ticks off a checklist of sounds:

1) here's the fuzzy rock intro with a weird intro
2) here's the low-key second song
3) here's the heartfelt ballad like "One"
4) here's the political song
5) here's the big dumb rawk song
6) here's the epic sweeping song like "Streets"
7) here's the semi-religious song about God
8) here's the song about "love"
9) here's the downer closer

No reworking...album's in the can...c'mon.

LOL...this place will be doubting right until the album is online in iTunes and on the shelves...:doh:

I'm not doubting the release. I'm doubting that the live version of the Blackout might be exactly the same as the studio version the studio. Bono's already read the lyrics without the Neds and Freds (although I understand why he wouldn't in that setting, so that's not really proof), and we know that it does have strings on it, which don't appear live.

I'm not doubting the release. I'm doubting that the live version of the Blackout might be exactly the same as the studio version the studio. Bono's already read the lyrics without the Neds and Freds (although I understand why he wouldn't in that setting, so that's not really proof), and we know that it does have strings on it, which don't appear live.

Strings? Is that from one of the interviews?

Saw a Twitter thing from the dude who did the strings saying "oh boy, my work is on the U2 album."

(yes, that was totally verbatim, just like that)

Well as Registered Dude predicted a little while back, the band are touching on Bono's recent health scare in a Rolling Stone exclusive interview with The Edge.

Here's the interview with Edge. Lots of great nuggets!
The Edge on New U2 Album, Bono's 'Brush With Mortality' - Rolling Stone

They won't go in to detail on the health matter which leads me to believe it was very serious and separate from the publicly known things (bike accident, plane incident, etc.)

But those setbacks didn't compare to another crisis Bono faced last year. "He had a brush with mortality," says the Edge, choosing his words carefully (the band won't go into detail on the matter). "He definitely had a serious moment, which caused him to reflect on a lot of things."

Well as Registered Dude predicted a little while back, the band are touching on Bono's recent health scare in a Rolling Stone exclusive interview with The Edge.

Here's the interview with Edge. Lots of great nuggets!
The Edge on New U2 Album, Bono's 'Brush With Mortality' - Rolling Stone

They won't go in to detail on the health matter which leads me to believe it was very serious and separate from the publicly known things (bike accident, plane incident, etc.)

haha.. so sounds like album version of Best Thing will be different, altogether

also hilarious:

Are you guys now done with the album?
To the extent that we have a running order, title, mixes agreed on with tiny, little nuances where we want to make tiny changes. So yeah, it's absolutely ready to go beside the last polish. We are very happy with it.

I rolled my eyes at the Pop piece. Why not ask "will you ever play the songs again" as a follow-up question? Boo.

Or maybe he did ask, and Edge just glared at him, so it didn't make it into the final article.

So its N.A. and Europe...again,for next year

Poor Oceania,..looks like another 12 months in the waiting room

Back
Top Bottom