Soe 26 - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This place is mad :)

Maybe they will make the announcement for the album after the best thing has been released and had chance to shine.

If they release the single next week and it goes down well everything will be focused on that and only that. Maybe they think announcing the album would take the headlines away from the single coming out. If it's coming out in December they have more then enough time to announce it.

Even though it would only be a little distraction. Maybe they want the headlines to say u2 back with killer single rather then new u2 album out 1st December

Yup.
Classic second guessing

The now-scrapped mix was on the table for months..
Not just a scrapped mix but the sound engineer's post says it's for a "new recently recorded version".

Could this have been recorded in August during their break? Remember U2 posted a photo of Bono and Edge with an acoustic guitar. So we know they were recording recently.

ok so i've been away at the seaside all week - what did i miss? :D

heh just messing - i lurked on my phone now and again and had a particularly good giggle at KUEF (how's yer blood pressure mate? :lol: )

now just to stick on my headphones and have a proper listen, and then i will give my verdict :shifty:

Just wanted to note one thing that Instagram post said, specific wording:

"Turned out to be the U2 song we were mixing last year. They are FINALLY releasing it and wanted us to have another shot to mix this new recently recorded version."

This doesn't suggest they're recording "new" material, rather that they recorded material for a song last year, mixed it back then, and now have re-recorded the same song and were asking for new mixes of it.

This suggests a really, really good thing, something we've all hoped they would do in the past: sounds like they recorded the songs, mixed them, had the album ready to go...and now are somewhat revisiting those songs after sitting on them and living with them for months.

How many debates are on here comparing the studio version of a song vs. a live version they've been playing and living with for months? And almost always, the prevailing opinion is: sure, the album version is okay/good, but once they really dug into it after the album was released, they figured out the "best" version of it, and now it's a great/classic/etc.

This time, sounds like they're just doing the "playing it and living with it to unearth the best possible version of it" behind closed doors, not in public on a stage.

also you jabronis... if they are going on tour in a couple of days and release a new single this week, doesn't it stand to reason that they would, y'know, rehearse said new single?

maybe they found something in playing it over the month of august that said, "hey, somebody hit the record button let's see how this sounds?"

you guys are all turkeys, except for those protecting this house.

also you jabronis... if they are going on tour in a couple of days and release a new single this week, doesn't it stand to reason that they would, y'know, rehearse said new single?

maybe they found something in playing it over the month of august that said, "hey, somebody hit the record button let's see how this sounds?"

you guys are all turkeys, except for those protecting this house.

Soundcheck tomorrow will be interesting

Soundcheck tomorrow will be interesting

looking forward to the freakout when no new songs are rehearsed*

* - just like when the band quickly wisened up and turned the PA off when they played Little Things leading up to the JT tour opener.

and they very well may wait until after the Buffalo and Detroit shows to play Best Thing, or maybe they'll want to start some grassroots social media marketing campaign by playing it and letting some YouTube live takes go online to have some anticipation for Wednesday. who knows.

The band are second guessing the songs on the album. That is probably why the information was pulled. Maybe they had 11 songs that they were completely happy with, then Edge went and tinkered with another and lobbied hard for the band to include it.

So rather than release information saying SOE, 11 tracks of hot RAWK FIRE FROM VENUS.....they are now trying to figure out if another song or two needs to be included. It's not the end of the world to say the album has 11 tracks, and then later on it has 12....but in the industry now when albums are just dropped, they probably want to have the info as accurate as possible.

Plus with U2, and tiny misinformation and they will get blasted.

I'm like RD, until there is an actual release date, I'm not putting my chips in. Even then, it wouldn't shock me for U2 to push back the release date. Blame it on North Korea or something.

U2 WANTS A HIT!!! Anything less than that and it's a failure. They took a huge hit with SOI and the release strategy, and what made it worse, not a single song resonated off that album. At least with NLOTH, Moment of Surrender seemed to get a lot of praise even if it was never released.

So we will get a single next week. U2 will gauge the reaction to it, and then if it's a good enough hit and press from it, they'll announce when the album is coming out. If it flops, they will probably stay quiet and try to figure something else out later on, if not scrap the fucking thing.

This isn't out of the realm of possibility. The reviewer from a thread or two ago even said it himself, U2 really wants to be played on the radio again. He said it was obvious by the tracks he heard. TBT is their shot at radio play, and then they have a bunch of RAWK songs to try and follow it up.

U2 cannot just make the music they want, they need to be loved for it too. I hope SOE gives them (and us) that feeling.

Last edited:
Maybe your assessment is accurate and they've fallen victim to their own over-achievers need for perfection, maybe. But it wouldn't be out of line to interpret the assistant mix engineer's statement a little differently ... if he is to be believed 100% as someone who knows the precise details of the band's final decision .. he said he was assisting Lillywhite with a mix of newly recorded tracks. That's not really scrapping a mix. That's a new mix, of newly recorded material.

Maybe the band did it for shits and giggles. To see what was possible. Maybe they lay all the final mixes on the table and pick the one they prefer. Maybe the one that was on the table for months is the one that gets mastered and released. Maybe the band over-explores all their options but it is way too soon to fault them for 'classic second guessing' as that seems like a derogatory dig at the band. Why go there just yet?

Maybe, and I remember reading with AB they also had different mixes of songs to choose from.

However...it is a fact they deleted that text about album details coming next week so who knows ? If Blackout makes it on JTtour live it will be a good sign they're ready to go.

The band are second guessing the songs on the album. That is probably why the information was pulled. Maybe they had 11 songs that they were completely happy with, then Edge went and tinkered with another and lobbied hard for the band to include it.

So rather than release information saying SOE, 11 tracks of hot RAWK FIRE FROM VENUS.....they are not trying to figure out if another song or two needs to be included. It's not the end of the world to say the album has 11 tracks, and then later on it has 12....but in the industry now when albums are just dropped, they probably want to have the info as accurate as possible.

I'm like RD, until there is an actual release date, I'm not putting my chips in. Even then, it wouldn't shock me for U2 to push back the release date. Blame it on North Korea or something.

U2 WANTS A HIT!!! Anything less than that and it's a failure. They took a huge hit with SOI and the release strategy, and what made it worse, not a single song resonated off that album. At least with NLOTH, Moment of Surrender seemed to get a lot of praise even if it was never released.

So we will get a single next week. U2 will gauge the reaction to it, and then if it's a good enough hit and press from it, they'll announce when the album is coming out. If it flops, they will probably stay quiet and try to figure something else out later on, if not scrap the fucking thing.

This isn't out of the realm of possibility. The reviewer from a thread or two ago even said it himself, U2 really wants to be played on the radio again. He said it was obvious by the tracks he heard. TBT is their shot at radio play, and then they have a bunch of RAWK songs to try and follow it up.

U2 cannot just make the music they want, they need to be loved for it too. I hope SOE gives them (and us) that feeling.

Oh come on am sorry but am not having that they scrap it, the promotion all says from upcoming album SOE, they have never pushed an album back based on reaction to a single, i was hoping for reassurance from this place today but feel as negative as ever now, when really it should have all been exciting after Wednesday

Look, the band is the the JT tour until October 25th.
Swifty the poor put upon, mistreated megastar releases on November 10th. So realistically, they could possibly release the album on October 27th, or November 3rd. After that, they are way better off waiting til Dec. 1 to release the album. Let the attention from swift wear off, and the sales numbers to come down a bit, but still early enough for some holiday boost.

I think that the first show and next wednesday will show us that everything is on track.

keep calm people. any other subject to talk about....:huh:

Maybe, and I remember reading with AB they also had different mixes of songs to choose from.

However...it is a fact they deleted that text about album details coming next week so who knows ? If Blackout makes it on JTtour live it will be a good sign they're ready to go.

This is what I keep harping on about, they must be ready to go otherwise why even mention SOE? I am even more confused than ever

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any bad press about The Blackout as a song. They're just being the perfectionists they are with The Best Thing and took a last stab at it. If anything were getting the album earlier than expected.

Hmmmm. New U2 record sooner vs. watching Interference burn....tough one.
:hmm:

tumblr_mws3eyMCrg1sicctoo1_500.gif

I think people need to chill the fuck out. We're getting two new U2 songs within a week. Plus LCD Soundsystem put out a fantastic new album today. Lots of great music out there to tide us over.

So rather than release information saying SOE, 11 tracks of hot RAWK FIRE FROM VENUS.....they are now trying to figure out if another song or two needs to be included. It's not the end of the world to say the album has 11 tracks, and then later on it has 12....but in the industry now when albums are just dropped, they probably want to have the info as accurate as possible.

Just wanted to note one thing that Instagram post said, specific wording:

"Turned out to be the U2 song we were mixing last year. They are FINALLY releasing it and wanted us to have another shot to mix this new recently recorded version."

This doesn't suggest they're recording "new" material, rather that they recorded material for a song last year, mixed it back then, and now have re-recorded the same song and were asking for new mixes of it.

This suggests a really, really good thing, something we've all hoped they would do in the past: sounds like they recorded the songs, mixed them, had the album ready to go...and now are somewhat revisiting those songs after sitting on them and living with them for months.

How many debates are on here comparing the studio version of a song vs. a live version they've been playing and living with for months? And almost always, the prevailing opinion is: sure, the album version is okay/good, but once they really dug into it after the album was released, they figured out the "best" version of it, and now it's a great/classic/etc.

This time, sounds like they're just doing the "playing it and living with it to unearth the best possible version of it" behind closed doors, not in public on a stage.

Just to elaborate a bit on these ideas a bit… anyone who has ever tried writing songs in the past will know that, to some extent, they’re all never going to be finished perfectly to your mind and ears. Or make you completely happy with them. That’s because people who write songs will not hear songs the same way we do (or base them on demo/live versions, “beach” clips, etc.). To some extent, those songs are always going to be works in progress to their minds and it’ll be easy for them to nitpick what they like or don’t like and so forth. Or, if nothing’s released publically yet, they might even go ahead and re-record parts or all of it. This is literally what every single musician or band does. Edge gets eviscerated at times on here for being faulted for "tinkering" too much or doing stuff last minute, mostly just based off interviews again. But this is almost every act out there. The only difference is that these guys will mention it in interviews and we’ll overanalyze every detail because they do enough of them, due to their popularity.

I’m not a talented musician by any means, but I’ve recorded groups of songs before and thought I had something pretty good. Then I’d come back to them after taking a break and like half of them, hate the others and think of how things had to be changed up on a lot of them. How many times have we heard about other bands recording new songs at the very last minute? How many musicians get mortified when demos leak out of incomplete material? There's songs I've done which would kill me if anyone ever heard them (or maybe all of them lol). It’s all part of the process. Granted, the secrecy with releases for this band has been a bit overwhelming in recent years, mostly due to us not receiving much new material as a whole for 5+ years at one point. But I just think it’s a bit weird to think that “second guessing” happens with no other act out there or that it’s all for the sake of whatever we'll blame not liking some of their more recent material on. Same with automatically assuming all the "earlier versions" of songs are better somehow. If you’re a creative type, that's what you're going to do. And even after something's released, most musicians will probably still look back on it and think "woulda, could, shoulda". It doesn't make them bad people or someone who's not "true" to their art. It just means their human and, among musicians, pretty normal.

Last edited:
Also, I think the announcement delay, if there is one, has more to do with the JT tour.

I personally think it's weird for them to be simultaneously pushing a new album and a 30-year-old album. If Best Thing doesn't resonate with the masses maybe the fear from U2 is that people will point to the JT tour as a reminder of when they made good albums.

Boots was hounded but they still released the album, I don't buy them waiting to see the reaction at all, they are using the phrase from the upcoming album so surely they won't scrap it at this stage

I think people need to chill the fuck out. We're getting two new U2 songs within a week. Plus LCD Soundsystem put out a fantastic new album today. Lots of great music out there to tide us over.

Also: Alvvays, the War on Drugs have great new albums out, and the Kurt Vile/Courtney Barnett record is coming soon too.

Would they really release a first single from t and delay it until next year though? I mean the single is still going ahead on Wednesday so why would they do that?

No matter what they say, "Invisible" was supposed to be the first single from SOI. They had a massive rollout for it which included a Super Bowl commercial, a tie in promotion with RED AIDS charity, Jimmy Fallon performance, etc. SOI was supposed to be released in April or May of 2014, and the tour was to begin in September 2014. No matter what revisionist things you've heard, that was originally the plan. They could've back out of "Invisible" due to the Super Bowl/Charity tie in, so they had to go through with it. SOI came 8 months after the first "single".

Let's wait until next Wednesday, it sounds like we're still definitely getting "Best Thing". Maybe they'll at least give us a release date.

Boots was hounded but they still released the album, I don't buy them waiting to see the reaction at all, they are using the phrase from the upcoming album so surely they won't scrap it at this stage

agreed. At this point, the album at large, as a whole is not in question. But little changes and details are in flux til the last minute. They may take reaction from the Blackout, and TBT and tweak the tracklisting, or choose a different mix of an already decided song. But they aren't scrapping everything because they got 4.5 million FB views in two days and not 8 million. Or TBT wasn't added to as many radio stations as they'd hoped. That's ludicrous.

Hoping all of us will be laughing at ourselves in a couple days when Bono says "we have a new album coming out in December... It's a collection of songs of experience. And here's one of those songs..."

This place is mad :)

Maybe they will make the announcement for the album after the best thing has been released and had chance to shine.

If they release the single next week and it goes down well everything will be focused on that and only that. Maybe they think announcing the album would take the headlines away from the single coming out. If it's coming out in December they have more then enough time to announce it.

Even though it would only be a little distraction. Maybe they want the headlines to say u2 back with killer single rather then new u2 album out 1st December

Don't you dare ever make sense again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom