Soe 26 - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Gotta say, I like what I hear on this clip. Slightly slower, more pronounced Edge with a bit more "rock" guitar sound. Still has a bit of a groove to it.

I love the Blackout, but honestly it would have gotten nominal play on alt rock and rock stations. Wouldn't have been touched by AC, which is where they are more relegated to now.

This song is right in the wheelhouse of AC, pop and still good fit for alternative and rock.

Would have loved to hear the chorus and especially the bridge where I think the biggest change may be.

Super-yo rocks as usual by the way.

When Blackout is released as a single, I think it will get a fair share of airplay on Alt Rock. Perhaps it could even be a hit on that format. But I agree, I doubt it will cross over to Top 40.

As for Best Thing, the clip is slightly more acoustic sounding than I would have expected.

really really dig this clip...

listen to it about 12 times and not tired of it.

Last edited:
So based off the Kygo mix, I wasn't too excited, but this sounds remarkably different and I really like that guitar sound and feel like it wants to explode Edge style! The question is....will Edge do what Edge does best or hold back.

My optimism for this song just went from 50% to 80%.
I thought hold back is what Edge does best

7.5 million views for Blackout so far. Pretty cool :D

It is cool indeed, for a band like U2 who has many older fans, less into social media..

I just saw the new video of Taylor Swift (crap!), placed on youtube 2 days before The Blackout.....almost 169 million views. Can anyone explain me what's happening with this world?

Nice! The Best Thing sounds much better than the Kygo remix.

The Blackout sounds good too, although I can't say I share the same amount of reverence some of you have developed for it so quickly. Invisible was a much better song. Still, can't complain with what we've heard so far.

Sounds like a really nice light, uplifting pop song. For some strange reason I always expected it to have a similar kind of EDM sound of the Kygo version, but then again, that was only ever a remix. Really like it.

It is cool indeed, for a band like U2 who has many older fans, less into social media..

I just saw the new video of Taylor Swift (crap!), placed on youtube 2 days before The Blackout.....almost 169 million views. Can anyone explain me what's happening with this world?

What happened to this world is that kids these days don't know what good music is! TS is good music to them, any sugar coated crap pop is good to them.

I'm telling you all now, it's going to bother me if the line is:

"Best thing to ever happen to boy"

I don't like that structure...."a" boy, "me" boy....I don't care but from what I have always heard and saw on the Kygo screens.....it's just "boy" unless he is referring to U2s album Boy but that would be lost on the masses (I would think it works though)

I don't like that structure...."a" boy, "me" boy....I don't care but from what I have always heard and saw on the Kygo screens.....it's just "boy" unless he is referring to U2s album Boy but that would be lost on the masses (I would think it works though)

Same man.

Just another Bono-ism I guess :/

Yeah, definitely a weird one.

I hope The Best Thing...has some sort of guitar solo. Too much restraint from The Edge but I know that's his default setting. Blackout seemed like a good opportunity to unleash a Fly like solo, although I like the song very much.

I just hope the song eliminates any trace of Kygo crap EDM. EDM is the scourge of the music earth for me, can't stand the soullessness and mind numbing qualities of it.

I hope The Best Thing...has some sort of guitar solo. Too much restraint from The Edge but I know that's his default setting. Blackout seemed like a good opportunity to unleash a Fly like solo, although I like the song very much.

I just hope the song eliminates any trace of Kygo crap EDM. EDM is the scourge of the music earth for me, can't stand the soullessness and mind numbing qualities of it.

Problem is edm is the in music at the minute so if they want a big hit this may be the way they have to go. Look at Coldplay

Yeah look at Coldplay - they are dreadful now. Martin was never a good lyricist but he's truly horrendous as of late and the music is cheesy as hell. I highly doubt The Best Thing has overt dance elements. If it does, it would reek of desperation for a hit.

Yeah look at Coldplay - they are dreadful now. Martin was never a good lyricist but he's truly horrendous as of late and the music is cheesy as hell. I highly doubt The Best Thing has overt dance elements. If it does, it would reek of desperation for a hit.

Defo agree, Coldplay used to be really really good. Not into there new stuff at all

I don't knock them for doing it though and to be fair it's worked for them. There played on every radio station, all the cool young stations play Coldplay. Here's the thing what Coldplay have done now is it any different to what u2 did in 1990? U2 reinvented themselves to fit in with the relevant music at the time the dance scene, the madchester scene etc etc .probelm Coldplay have is modern music is crap so we see there reinvention as crap because we hate modern day music. U2 did it when modern day music was good.

Last edited:

I've always heard "the best thing to even happen, and boy - you're the ....."

Makes the most sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom