Soe 26 - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Eno & Lanois are part of that loose plan. They need one more album together, one not compromised by commercial ambitions.

It'll be a bit of a heartbreak if these guys call it a day
It will, and it will eventually happen. But I'd be down with them wraping up with SOE being a hit and then releasing an artsy, atmospheric SOA. If that is the plan, i wish them success (i wish them success regardless). U2 really have nothing to prove, and at the same time they do: no band has ever had more longevity, while being more than often innovative and successful. If they manage to produce one or more trully relevant albuns (and by relevant i dont mean only having commercial success, but capturing the zeitgeist and becoming integral part of the culture and people's personal lives), at this stage, it will be an unheard of feat.

can confirm that there's a loose plan, and it looks an awful lot like this

:drool:

This is absolutely my hope, and one that looks right if you read the tea leaves, I think.

Would so so love a purposefully constructed 'final album' in the vein of "Soon" -- Eno, Lanois, and all the beautiful sounds and space.

Sort of seems like what happened with NLOTH was the band realized the U2+Eno/Lanois wasn't really a hit machine anymore, but they still wanted to try a U2 4.0 shot at the hits, so they parted ways for a while. I would be extremely encouraged to think they still think of Eno/Lanois U2 as the definitive U2 that deserves a final record on U2's way out the door.

Would be thrilled if that's the case. Plus if they do a more atmospheric/ethereal/reflective final album, then they can probably pair that with a huge farewell tour that doesn't put those new songs front and center.

No, please not a huge farewell tour. They show the world who they are , what they achieved with the now ongoing TJT anniversary tour.

They can tour SOE all 2018, maybe into 2019. Then without tour they release Songs of Ascent. Their last record. A timeless masterpiece

Last edited:
:drool:

This is absolutely my hope, and one that looks right if you read the tea leaves, I think.

Would so so love a purposefully constructed 'final album' in the vein of "Soon" -- Eno, Lanois, and all the beautiful sounds and space.

Sort of seems like what happened with NLOTH was the band realized the U2+Eno/Lanois wasn't really a hit machine anymore, but they still wanted to try a U2 4.0 shot at the hits, so they parted ways for a while. I would be extremely encouraged to think they still think of Eno/Lanois U2 as the definitive U2 that deserves a final record on U2's way out the door.
Agreed

It would make a hell of a lot of sense, especially if they hit some bells with SOE. It sucks that SOI was fucked by the apple stunt. It may not have been a masterpiece, but it was a good album with some songs with real potential. Iris, RBW, EBW and California were all possible radio candidates.
As Silex said, it doesnt have to be a huge hit commercially, but something that becomes part of the zeitgeist because of its quality. It goes both ways, a 50+ band trying to compete with the kids may be a curious thing and the butt of jokes, but if they actually give the kids a run for their money or teach them a thing or two, it becomes all the more remarkable, more than if it were an 'age-appropriate' band.
Its like the dinosaur walking the earth suddenly learns to ride a bike and then.... oops.
Its an uphill task, but if there is one band that is
ridiculous enough to pull it off and has the store of latent goodwill, even today, to do it, it's them. And they do deserve it.
Here's hoping The Best Thing is good.

I think U2 could create some of the best atmospheric/blue style records around. You get bono into his deeper register, Edge with his delay and lovely tone....and Adam and Larry can obviously lay down a groove....

I'd love the band to put out that type of mature music as long as they want. Little to no fanfare or big tours. Just making music

It would make a hell of a lot of sense, especially if they hit some bells with SOE. It sucks that SOI was fucked by the apple stunt. It may not have been a masterpiece, but it was a good album with some songs with real potential. Iris, RBW, EBW and California were all possible radio candidates.
As Silex said, it doesnt have to be a huge hit commercially, but something that becomes part of the zeitgeist because of its quality. It goes both ways, a 50+ band trying to compete with the kids may be a curious thing and the butt of jokes, but if they actually give the kids a run for their money or teach them a thing or two, it becomes all the more remarkable, more than if it were an 'age-appropriate' band.
Its like the dinosaur walking the earth suddenly learns to ride a bike and then.... oops.
Its an uphill task, but if there is one band that is
ridiculous enough to pull it off and has the store of latent goodwill, even today, to do it, it's them. And they do deserve it.
Here's hoping The Best Thing is good.

Holy cow, great post. :up:

No, please not a huge farewell tour. They show the world who they are , what they achieved with the now ongoing TJT anniversary tour.

They can tour SOE all 2018, maybe into 2019. Then without tour they release Songs of Ascent. Their last record. A timeless masterpiece
I mean, that would be a pretty impressive way to go out, but I think you're dreaming if you think they won't go out with one last ** this is your last chance to see U2 live ** tour. Call it a farewell tour or package it into SOE/SOA, they won't just go away quietly.

Sounds really good!

So based off the Kygo mix, I wasn't too excited, but this sounds remarkably different and I really like that guitar sound and feel like it wants to explode Edge style! The question is....will Edge do what Edge does best or hold back.

My optimism for this song just went from 50% to 80%.

This forum's obsession with the end of the band never ceases to amaze me. They're in their 50's, not 70's. Plus, Adam recently said that after the SOE cycle, they would likely scale back their work load, not retire. Call me crazy, but I'll take him at his word.

In the meantime, can't we enjoy one of the biggest weeks in recent U2 fandom? The Blackout has been well received, the tour resumes tonight, and a new single is 3 days away. Seems to me there are plenty of things to talk about.

Songs of Experience... then Songs of Ascent... What about that dance album with will.i.am and David Guetta? :waiting:

Gilead said:

NLOTH should have been that beautiful, mature album IMO - all the video clips they released seemed to suggest it would be. Then they chickened out and just made another U2 product.

As for The Best Thing... Does the verse melody remind anyone else of Ordinary Love?

This forum's obsession with the end of the band never ceases to amaze me. They're in their 50's, not 70's. Plus, Adam recently said that after the SOE cycle, they would likely scale back their work load, not retire. Call me crazy, but I'll take him at his word.

In the meantime, can't we enjoy one of the biggest weeks in recent U2 fandom? The Blackout has been well received, the tour resumes tonight, and a new single is 3 days away. Seems to me there are plenty of things to talk about.

It's hard not to... like catnip for fans of a band whose long-term plan is so uncertain.

But yes, you're right! These past few and next few days will be a lot of fun. And I'm seeing them on Sunday to boot. Can't wait.

I have to say, Bono sounds awesome in that recording (yes, I am referring to his recorded voice that is likely the album cut).

If...and it still remains to be seen but if Best Thing is good....that could potentially be 3 good songs already from this album. I say "potentially" because although TLTTGYA sounds good, I have no clues the production on the actual track and same with Blackout (crowd noise and live vocals don't allow for a pure observation).

I really doubt the band will ever permanently retire. Slow down, sure. But I think Edge in particular loves making music too much to give it up, and Bono would probably go nuts if he couldn't get his thoughts/ideas out into the world through song. These two will probably make music until they die. Does anyone know when they plan on dying?

Really like this clip.Love the sound of Edge .

Very promissing.

Yep. Gotta say, I like what I hear on this clip. Slightly slower, more pronounced Edge with a bit more "rock" guitar sound. Still has a bit of a groove to it.

I love the Blackout, but honestly it would have gotten nominal play on alt rock and rock stations. Wouldn't have been touched by AC, which is where they are more relegated to now.

This song is right in the wheelhouse of AC, pop and still good fit for alternative and rock.

Would have loved to hear the chorus and especially the bridge where I think the biggest change may be.

Super-yo rocks as usual by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom