SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've heard of The Best Thing I can't see how it would top this as a lead single. Will be interesting to see as they may have done what they seem to do lately and shoot themselves in the foot with their actual choice for lead single.

I'll know if I'm right in a week, but as much as I like this song, I'm still more excited to hear what Best Thing sounds like, just based on what we've heard so far. I do think that has the wider appeal.

tabaldw@gmail.com

:wave:

:up: There's such a groovy swagger to it in a natural way. I don't think anyone would quite expect a U2 song to sound like this and (I think) that's a good thing.

It's very fresh and modern sounding in a time where new rock doesn't really have much of a sonic identity.

And keep in mind everyone- this is just the tease for the album/lead single. I'm excited!

Yes! This is what i was trying to put my finger on. It sounds natural, looser than we've heard from them. There's a swagger in it that puts it over songs like Elevation and Vertigo to me.

I mean, seriously, take a minute, listen to Invisible, and then listen to this right after. Apples and Oranges to me.

The melding of 90's grit, with HTDAAB rock with modern touch of SOI. That's a win for me.

Last edited:
First impression - Manages to be a U2 "rock song" while sounding airy and effortless. Devoid of the previous trappings of the rock attempts of GOYB and The Miracle. The groove reminds me of the Crystal Ballroom for some reason. Any song that attempts to even be a veiled shot at the current administration is okay in my book too. Chorus is catchy overall but not really digging the the uhhhh uhhh uhhh uhh parts by Bono after "the lights go out" part. This is more than I expected from a U2 rock song at this part in their career. I also kind of like that the mix they released at least appears to be semi-recorded live, but do agree the crowd noises are a bit much. Looking forward to a studio version.

This is almost my exact feeling.

Way better than I was expecting from the :15 second snippet and definitely more aggressive rock than I expected from them at this point.

But it's not a great song... it's not bad mind you. Just not super memorable. But it *does* make me perk up in regards to the rest of the album.

Call me cautiously optimistic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom