SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. Full lyrics:

A dinosaur wonders why it still walks the Earth, yeah
A meteor promises it's not gonna hurt, yeah
Earthquakes always happen when you're in bed, Fred
The house shakes
Maybe it was something I said, Ned

Go easy on me
Easy on me, brother
Go easy on me
Easy on me now

When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
The darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

Statues fall and democracy is flat on its back, Jack
We had it all, and what we had is not coming back, Zach
A big mouth says the people they don't want to be free, for free
A blackout is just an extinction event, we see

Go easy on me
Easy on me, brother
Go easy on me
Easy on me now

When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
The darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

When the lights go out
Oh, oh
When the lights go out
Oh, oh
When the lights go out

When the lights go out
Blackout, it's clear
Who you are will appear
Blackout, no fear
So glad that we are all still here

When the lights go out

Good job mate! :up:

Are these official?

Or "heard"?

Either way thanks!

First impressions:

I was always going to like U2 - I am self aware enough to know that, so I can try and divorce that from some of the tangible characteristics of the song.

It is very different. No-one could accuse them of paint by numbers.

It is much better than I expected from the short clip.

If this isn't the lead single, they must be REALLY confident in the Best Thing.

I tried to record it on my lap top but the connection dropped a few times. Anyone have a clean MP3 they'd like to share?

Do singles matter anymore? In an age of streaming and people being attached to social media since it debuted first with a video made available on Facebook I think it did a pretty good job of first impression if the new album.

21150416_10155989862411686_2580828935605239750_n.jpg

I'll send an iTunes-friendly version to the first three emails and they can help spread it!

Last edited:
First impression - Manages to be a U2 "rock song" while sounding airy and effortless. Devoid of the previous trappings of the rock attempts of GOYB and The Miracle. The groove reminds me of the Crystal Ballroom for some reason. Any song that attempts to even be a veiled shot at the current administration is okay in my book too. Chorus is catchy overall but not really digging the the uhhhh uhhh uhhh uhh parts by Bono after "the lights go out" part. This is more than I expected from a U2 rock song at this part in their career. I also kind of like that the mix they released at least appears to be semi-recorded live, but do agree the crowd noises are a bit much. Looking forward to a studio version.

Do singles matter anymore? In an age of streaming and people being attached to social media since it debuted first with a video made available on Facebook I think it did a pretty good job of first impression if the new album.

this is a good question, but i think that in terms of creating awareness, singles do still matter.

not in the same way as before, but having a hit song will always be important in terms of creating a buzz for an album. that's assuming people still believe in the concept of an album in the first place.

The single is still the face of a new album, but social media and the instant response lets artists respond faster. They could like the response and do a hard pivot by sending this to radio and rebranding it as a single. Once an album's out, the distinction barely matters.

Ned, Fred, Zach, and Jack are all characters from the movie School of Rock. Coincidence...I think not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom