SOE 25 - The Freakout - Page 56 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #826
Refugee

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
This 100% - I can't understand why people aren't all over this.
Agreed. As a listener who doesn't like "The Blackout" really at all, I do think the last half of "The Little Things" is transporting U2 at its best. Anger/hurt and soul/transcendence in equal measure.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #827
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
They speculated that it could be The Blackout, but the tweet that I shared showed the cover art for YTBTAM, and it says on the bottom "A Song of Experience".

For those that missed it:

http://davidmichaelreyes.com/misc/IMG_9126.PNG

Old 09-01-2017, 01:23 AM   #828
War Child

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseggleton View Post
3.1M Facebook views and 36K shares. Anyone know how this compares to other artist releasing / previewing songs this way?

I don't really know but here you can find a blog post with a kind of comparison between genres and platforms (no Facebook video though)... it really looks like rock & roll is not big at all

Lefsetz Letter » Blog Archive » Comparing Mediabase Charts
Old 09-01-2017, 01:26 AM   #829
Refugee

I have a feeling this is going to be a very good/great album. I also get the feeling it's gonna garner HTDAAB- level popularity. Grammy's, etc...

*feelings may or may not be influenced by delicious vacation beers.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:28 AM   #830
Refugee

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I still stand by BD. Never been wowed by it, enjoy it live, but would never seek it out to listen to. But it was great choice for a first single for them. Just not my cup of tea.
Exactly. BD helped U2 to get huge chart success & I am grateful to BD for this. But Blackout is way cool.

....... But Discotheue & its guitar riff is from another planet. Edge was more bold & daring then.

May be current music scene has mellowed him a bit.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:43 AM   #831
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Surely they can't think this is anything but a success. I have a niggling concern over the removal of the album info commitment in the Facebook post. There is no reason to remove it unless they are not going to do it. This means there are two scenarios, one far more likely than the other:
1. Something happened in the intervening 24 hours that has made them review their strategy. I can't think of anything that would do that that wouldn't also put the tour in jeopardy considering reaction to the song is overwhelmingly positive, and they have a clear and defined schedule.
2. They will release the whole thing on September 6 because it went so well, thus no longer needing an announcement. Far less likely though, because they have a clear strategy and schedule.

Of course, it could just be an oversight or an innocuous change. I doubt it though, because it had to be a conscious decision to remove it. It is important info in the post.

It could just be that they were originally thinking December 1st but don't want to officially commit to that date now. Maybe if Best Thing hits really big they won't want to wait so long (a smart move). This gives them that flexibility.

But it's not just about the release date. "Full album details" could have meant they were going to reveal the whole tracklisting, and maybe they're still debating a late addition or subtraction. Hopefully Larry doesn't rob of us of another Mercy-level gem.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #832
Refugee

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
BD is lame. Like a computer was told to write a catchy U2 song for basics who couldn't handle the innovative genius of the previous 3 albums.

If The Fly is the sound of four men chopping down the Joshua Tree, Beautifui Day is the sound of four men putting a fake plant in the middle of a tasteful table setting.

At least Stuck is going for some kind of modern gospel thing and has a fucking sonic identity.
I agree with every words.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:55 AM   #833
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:20 AM
A theory on the Blackout names from another forum

Ned, Fred, zach are all biblical references, with zach being the father of John the Baptist, Fred being the benevolent king, and Ned being in the lineage of David.

Jack could be short for Jacob - again biblical. But I prefer think he is referencing JFK who was o/w known as Jack. Makes the democracy statement even more powerful.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:00 AM   #834
Refugee

Local Time: 10:20 PM
What was the source of the information that the album is set for Dec 1? Was it a band source?
Old 09-01-2017, 02:04 AM   #835
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Because the first two-thirds or so is plodding, aimless, and utterly bland? The ending is very little reward.
The ending is nothing Coldplay haven't done a million times already in their songs, and better.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:04 AM   #836
War Child

When I first heard the blackout I thought that "jack" was a reference to Twitter's CEO @jack ...
Old 09-01-2017, 02:05 AM   #837
War Child

So what's with this TIDAL thing ?

TIDAL announced on Twitter new Music today from several artists including U2 and this TBT image with Edges' daughter
Old 09-01-2017, 02:06 AM   #838
Refugee

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
So it looks like we'll be hearing The Best Thing this weekend then (assuming someone leaks it to non-Tidal users)?

Also, colourful album art

Lastly, I too think it's a little weird that they removed the "album news" part of their post(s). We still have a "lead single" coming, so there's no need to worry about an Invisible type situation... as mentioned above, I think they either don't want to confirm to a release date, or (more likely) they haven't settled on a track-list yet.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:22 AM   #839
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamietheEdgefan View Post
So it looks like we'll be hearing The Best Thing this weekend then (assuming someone leaks it to non-Tidal users)?

Also, colourful album art

Lastly, I too think it's a little weird that they removed the "album news" part of their post(s). We still have a "lead single" coming, so there's no need to worry about an Invisible type situation... as mentioned above, I think they either don't want to confirm to a release date, or (more likely) they haven't settled on a track-list yet.

They said in the post we will get all info on the new album this coming Wednesday along with the new single, are people now really thinking this won't happen? Wtf?
Old 09-01-2017, 02:25 AM   #840
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Surely we will still get a release date on Wednesday?