SOE 25 - The Freakout - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2017, 09:14 PM   #796
Refugee
 
BoyOnTheHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,110
Local Time: 09:39 PM
Beautiful Day is such a important song. It saved U2 and gave them 10 more years of stardom. It took them beyond the 2000s, on a era of world changing, and after the "dark years of" POP, Beautiful Day was a breath of fresh air. As much as people like 97-99 U2, that era was almost a ostracism period for them. There was so much going on music wise and U2 was deemed unecessary. Beautiful Day changed all that. It brought back that U2 quality of immersiveness yet epic and catchy ambience that was absent since Zooropa.
I love that period because it made U2 part of so many people adult lifes, everybody was into U2 again, not just the kids, but most people who still cared about music. Dont take BD importance for granted, it was a cultural hallmark of the early 2000s and a great, complete and fresh song.
__________________

BoyOnTheHorizon is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #797
War Child
 
cseggleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tn
Posts: 642
Local Time: 12:39 AM
3.1M Facebook views and 36K shares. Anyone know how this compares to other artist releasing / previewing songs this way?
__________________

cseggleton is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 PM   #798
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,020
Local Time: 10:39 AM
SOE 25 - The Freakout

Surely they can't think this is anything but a success. I have a niggling concern over the removal of the album info commitment in the Facebook post. There is no reason to remove it unless they are not going to do it. This means there are two scenarios, one far more likely than the other:
1. Something happened in the intervening 24 hours that has made them review their strategy. I can't think of anything that would do that that wouldn't also put the tour in jeopardy considering reaction to the song is overwhelmingly positive, and they have a clear and defined schedule.
2. They will release the whole thing on September 6 because it went so well, thus no longer needing an announcement. Far less likely though, because they have a clear strategy and schedule.

Of course, it could just be an oversight or an innocuous change. I doubt it though, because it had to be a conscious decision to remove it. It is important info in the post.
dan_smee is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 PM   #799
Refugee
 
ChargedVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Australia
Posts: 1,744
Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Surely they can't think this is anything but a success. I have a niggling concern over the removal of the album info commitment in the Facebook post. There is no reason to remove it unless they are not going to do it. This means there are two scenarios, one far more likely than the other:
1. Something happened in the intervening 24 hours that has made them review their strategy. I can't think of anything that would do that that wouldn't also put the tour in jeopardy considering reaction to the song is overwhelmingly positive, and they have a clear and defined schedule.
2. They will release the whole thing on September 6 because it went so well, thus no longer needing an announcement. Far less likely though, because they have a clear strategy and schedule.

Of course, it could just be an oversight or an innocuous change. I doubt it though, because it had to be a conscious decision to remove it. It is important info in the post.
It still says that the first single will be out next week. If it were anything major involving the album's release like a delay then Best Thing would be getting shelved. But it's still happening. We tend to stress about U2 changing their minds going by past examples.
ChargedVT is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 09:40 PM   #800
The Fly
 
Northside's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 294
Local Time: 07:39 PM
They're still committed to putting the lead single out next week. I wouldn't worry too much.

Their initial FB post was a little confusing. Some people (and at least one press outlet) misunderstood and thought they were sharing album news with the Blackout release. Is it possible they just wanted to clean up the post a bit?
Northside is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #801
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 6,906
Local Time: 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpionac View Post
Funny, I kinda rolled my eyes at the opening bit. Sounded like a mix between The Miracle and EBTTRT - we've heard these sounds before.
only part where it sounds like EBTTRT was the Whammy-driven bit, dude.
Mack_Again is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 09:48 PM   #802
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,020
Local Time: 10:39 AM
I'm not sure I share the confidence. They are promoting their new album and telling people when they can get news, only to remove that exciting, well received and important info and not replace it with anything. They committed to the single, so it would be alarm bells if it was removed
dan_smee is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #803
Refugee
 
BoyOnTheHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,110
Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
only part where it sounds like EBTTRT was the Whammy-driven bit, dude.
There is also some All Because of You just after the EBTTRT bit...
BoyOnTheHorizon is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 09:57 PM   #804
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,020
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyOnTheHorizon View Post
There is also some All Because of You just after the EBTTRT bit...


That's a bit mean...
dan_smee is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #805
Acrobat
 
PRB216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ | NYC
Posts: 320
Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseggleton View Post
3.1M Facebook views and 36K shares. Anyone know how this compares to other artist releasing / previewing songs this way?


It's pretty great for them and a strong showing but these aren't really newsworthy figures on their own.

Taylor Swift's lead single just debuted with two videos released in the last week and both already have a combined ~160 million Youtube views and broke a bunch of streaming records. U2 are well short of that reach.

And for what it's worth her song really sucks.
PRB216 is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 10:46 PM   #806
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,020
Local Time: 10:39 AM
YouTube views and Facebook views aren't exactly a like for like, though not dissimilar enough to put a dent in that gap. Swift's song came out over a week ago though, and we are talking 36 hours for u2.

Facebook is a less accessible platform, and will have less people finding things in search, or having things promotes as popular videos etc.

It's pretty much impossible to draw any comparisons that have any meaning or value
dan_smee is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 11:29 PM   #807
Refugee
 
TinKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 1,007
Local Time: 05:39 PM
God I love The Little Things That Give You Away.

It's fucking perfect. The first half is very contemporary and pop-y. I really love the chorus so much.

But the second half WRECKS me every time. It's falling while soaring. It's maybe the most vulnerable I've ever heard U2. It's scientifically constructed heartbreak.
TinKnight is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 11:32 PM   #808
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,020
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
God I love The Little Things That Give You Away.

It's fucking perfect. The first half is very contemporary and pop-y. I really love the chorus so much.

But the second half WRECKS me every time. It's falling while soaring. It's maybe the most vulnerable I've ever heard U2. It's scientifically constructed heartbreak.


This 100% - I can't understand why people aren't all over this.
dan_smee is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 11:38 PM   #809
Blue Crack Addict
 
prbiker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 15,088
Local Time: 08:39 PM
Does anyone use TIDAL?

prbiker15 is offline  
Old 08-31-2017, 11:44 PM   #810
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 89
Local Time: 07:39 PM
"Beautiful Day", while it did capture the attention of the public at large, is not one of the greats in the U2 catalog. The new song "The Blackout" feels culturally relevant as well as sonically interesting. Good on you, boys!
__________________

shineon is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com