SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think for a second this song has anything to do with terror attacks.

I tend to agree with those who say it's probably about the band....I hope that's the case, because if it's about the band, the lyrics sort of work.

On the other hand, if it's a political song about Trump, etc., then it's way heavy handed. The line about democracy works in terms of the band dynamic, but as a commentary on the state of the world, it's just too obvious and lacks any kind of nuance.

So yeah, setting aside the music, if the song's about the band, the lyrics are OK. If it's about politics, they're inane.

I suppose I can buy that it has a dual meaning, but that has its own set of problems. Though ultimately the song is about whatever you want it to be about.

Last edited:
The line about democracy works in terms of the band dynamic, but as a commentary on the state of the world, it's just too obvious and lacks any kind of nuance.

That's Bono for you, though. In his activism, he's prone to saying "Where you live should not decide where you live or whether you die." He then inserted that exact line into a song.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch that this song is about both the band and about political events that have happened recently.

I do think there is some heavy Trump reference in the song. The big mouth part i do think is leveled at him. The democracy on its back, not getting it back part i believe is reference to Trump/Brexit/rise of more far right wing political movements...
Earthquake happens in bed - i believe that also refers to the outcome of the elections happening late/overnight in Europe.

That said, the rest i can see being references to the band.

Terror references? No, i don't see that.

My guess is that this song may have been one of the songs that got "a little plastic surgery" as Bono put it, after they reflected on the election...

I'm not sure what exactly this song is supposed to be about or mean, how well this will be perceived by the mass, what contemporary artist it may have some similarities with, or even for sure where it fits into the historical spectrum of U2 sounds....but I like it and hopefully still will in a few weeks and even years down the road when it has a chance to marinate and be digested.

Blackout, the Little Things, and the low-fi rough draft of Best Thing has me optimistic that SOE may be a really good collection of songs as opposed to the last several attempts where there have certainly been enjoyable songs sprinkled around, but overall meh albums.

That's Bono for you, though. In his activism, he's prone to saying "Where you live should not decide where you live or whether you die." He then inserted that exact line into a song.
Ah CFYT... the standard bearer for crummy, hammy, shitty U2

And Headache is someone I see as being right about things more often than not, so please understand that I am not getting into a heated argument here. A lot gets lost in the words
Also, spoken like a true lurker...

Bono has said that there are some "f$ck off" songs on the new album. That leads me to believe that The Blackout could be about Trump. Remember, the band delayed the album (according to them), do to changing world events.

The references in the lyrics can certainly be about the band (and age) as well. I do believe Bono is accomplished enough as a song writer to be able to capture multiple messages within one set of lyrics.

I have zero love for Trump, but I really hope this whole record isn't about the guy and the state of world democracy.

The thing is every celebrity is talking about Trump, that's all you hear on the news, it's permeates every award show and is part and parcel of celebrity culture now. Bash Trump. Yeah, he's eminently bashable, but there's nothing remotely original or interesting to me about it...at least musically. I can't think of anything less compelling then U2 joining in on the pile on.

Just for those interested - This link from a Variety article gives the exact number of views of the FB video. right now, closing in on 2.3 million

Anyone with more knowledge of current billboard rules than I - Does this count in streaming numbers?? Could the band get The Blackout to chart just from video views? I'm pretty clueless on that part of things now. I know streams from Spotify and Tidal, etc... count, even toward album sales figures, but if anyone has more insight, please enlighten me.
thanks

That's cool.

This obviously jumps out -
“You’re the Best Thing About Me,” a song that’s undergone numerous iterations since I first heard an alternate mix last fall (It was played for me by a U2 insider at a secret location.)

Could mean we are in for a little something different on the 6th than we have heard from the Kygo spin...

That's cool.

“You’re the Best Thing About Me,” a song that’s undergone numerous iterations since I first heard an alternate mix last fall (It was played for me by a U2 insider at a secret location.)

Could mean we are in for a little something different on the 6th than we have heard from the Kygo spin...

Could be. Wasn't Steve Lillywhite the one who transformed native son into vertigo? Could have done the same with the best thing since he was brought in much later.

That's cool.

Maybe,but he did describe it as a pop song.

Just to clarify - Bono doing karaoke would be him singing live to a completely pre-recorded band. From the reports, this seems to be the opposite (I know you were there, so would be good to clear it up).

So were the band live, but Bono pre-recorded, or was Bono live and the band pre-recorded?

Yeah you're right. Band live, Bono pre-recorded. Lip-syncing.

Is there any chance that the album could come out much earlier than that? Dec 1st seems so far away.

They'll be busy on tour. Plus the trend seems to be release a handful of songs in the months leading into the release.

If it turns out to be 11-12 songs this is even more likely.

And I'm sorry, someone probably posted this already, but all I can think of when I see the video is Mike Teavee from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and those damn glasses...

ef8ee15538b7d439bc8046e6e1b90a01.jpg

By this time next week we'll have heard about a quarter of the album (including Little Things and assuming about 12 songs total). Do they really have enough single-worthy songs to fill a 3 month gap before December 1? I feel like an early November release would make more sense... the tour will be over by then.

By this time next week we'll have heard about a quarter of the album (including Little Things and assuming about 12 songs total). Do they really have enough single-worthy songs to fill a 3 month gap before December 1? I feel like an early November release would make more sense... the tour will be over by then.

They may have...
On SOI they could have released Reach Me Now, Troubles, Cedarwood and Crystal Ballroom, they all fit in the strategy the band is now following. The concept of a "hit" or a "single" is no longer the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom