SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. The only part I really liked was the repeated guitar/drum bit in the verses, and the effect on Bono's vocal is kinda cool.

Does anyone else find it odd that this band made more mature sounding music when they were young men?

Meh. The only part I really liked was the repeated guitar/drum bit in the verses, and the effect on Bono's vocals is kinda cool.

Does anyone else find it odd that this band made more mature sounding music when they were young men?

Think your in a very very small minority that don't like this song.

Rank ' em!

1) The Little Things That Give You Away
2) You're The Best Thing About Me
3) The Blackout

NOTE: ranked in order of how many times I've listened to each :D
(That's the proper way to rank 'em, right?)

Hmmm...

A little early since i think TBT is going to possibly surprise us in the way it sounds now...

But, I will say

1. The Blackout
2. Little Things
3. The Best Thing... (possibly to number 2 if it is has some positive changes)

That said, i really like all of them. So SOE is heading in the right direction.

- i don't like those chord changes in the verse which are what I presume reminds people of Muse. It's supposed to be exciting but it's hackneyed
- i don't like the slow bit before the chorus; it's lazy and makes the chorus predictable
- i don't like the chorus, it's too long and boring.
- i don't like the DRAMATIC BRIDGE, it's a mess. It's something that they relied on Bomb and couldn't do it well then and can't do it now.
- i don't like they lyrics; the Mac and Zack rhymes aren't funny
- i don't like how Edge does next to nothing in during the verses and plays boring lines in the chorus. He's still on autopilot. That muting shit he's been relying on during verses for the last decade plus is boring beyond belief
- i don't like how fucking long the song is. This is the first time that during my initial listen of a U2 song I was wanting it end halfway through

Maybe the studio version, or version without the distracting crowd noise, will be better but I doubt it. It's just not a good song. It doesn't flow organically like the SOI songs did. It's one of their worst songs. I like everything from SOI and most of NLOTH a lot more than this song. I was very excited for the album but now...not so much. This and Little Things are disappointing. I'm shocked that I don't like this.

Think your in a very very small minority that don't like this song.

Maybe.

But it would be interesting to go back and read the initial reactions to Boots, Invisible, that awful Mandela song (can't remember the name) and The Miracle. With the possible exception of Boots, my guess is that all these songs were met with similar excitement. And I'm guessing even Boots was initially regarded much higher than it is now.

It always happens...it's something new and everyone goes crazy about it, then the excitement and novelty dies down and slowly but surely the opinions become more even handed and circumspect.

Last edited:
Not going to over react here but...yeah, it's a solid tune for sure!

I like it....a lot but it's early yet.

I am also amazed that this song has united almost all of Interference in praising it...that in itself is unreal!

Ugh..... today is a particularly bland day at work, and the clock is moving slooooooow! I just want to GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE and listen to this song!!!!

So I'm confused. Is this a live version of the song because I'm going to be heartbroken if the album mix is lame. Particularly the drums.

Meh. The only part I really liked was the repeated guitar/drum bit in the verses, and the effect on Bono's vocal is kinda cool.

Like when they were 27 and recording classic rock songs with B.B. King and Bob Dylan.

I was 11 years old and actually thought they were a 60s era band when I first heard those Rattle and Hum songs.

Maybe.

But it would be interesting to go back and read the initial reactions to Boots, Invisible and The Miracle. With the possible exception of Boots, my guess is that all these songs were met with similar excitement.

It always happens...it's something new and everyone goes crazy about it, then the excitement and novelty dies down and slowly but surely the opinions become more even handed and circumspect.

True, but speaking off memory, I'd say compared to Boots or Miracle this is getting a far better reaction. With good reason. This is the best single since Vertigo.

eta : and personally, speaking, I disliked Boots and Miracle then, and same now. I preferred Invisible over both of them. I'm liking Blackout far more than the previous two lead singles, and possibly more than Invisible. It's amazing they sit on this energy yet choose to play LGTGYA live...

Last edited:
Maybe.

But it would be interesting to go back and read the initial reactions to Boots, Invisible and The Miracle. With the possible exception of Boots, my guess is that all these songs were met with similar excitement. And I'm guessing even Boots was initially regarded much higher than it is now.

I loved Vertigo. I haaaaate it now.
I loved Boots when it came out, now I like it sometimes and hate it other times.
I was so-so for the Miracle, now I like it well enough. Still my least favorite on the album though.
I don't like the Blackout.

True, but speaking off memory, I'd say compared to Boots or Miracle this is getting a far better reaction. With good reason. This is the best single since Vertigo.

I was very unimpressed with Miracle on first listen. Average song, that view has remained for me.

Boots, i never loved. Thought is was ok upon release, now i really dislike it.

Invisible, i was unimpressed on first listen, have grown to like it a little more.

Vertigo, liked it a lot on first listen and still do.

The Blackout, Like it a lot on first listen.

Last edited:
I had Zoomerang, Sr Poop and Hollow Island in a trifecta box on the 9th race at This Song Sucks Race Track.

Fingers crossed.

not sure that's entirely fair, but if you're genuinely interested in this kind of music from a band that created the music they did from the 80's and 90's then good for you. each to their own

I think that's common for any new release by any band though. And it makes sense, since it is new material after all, so its exciting in that way. I don't think it's ever 100% positive approval though.

As for the Boots and Vertigo arguments, I couldn't find threads for initial thoughts on the two... but there was one that compared initial reactions to GOYB to Vertigo after the former was released.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/boots-vs-vertigo-192523.html

Headache is on for the treble here
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom