SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to whoever sent that to me however it won't allow me to access it without a decryption key. Thanks though. :)

The song begs for a guitar solo but that's par for the course with U2 these days.

It probably won't happen but I'd love to be wrong. I could hear this on the radio, but also on stations like Alt Nation.

I'm trying to temper expectations and my excitement, but what's the fun in that?

I wasn't really sure what to expect. The descriptions were all over the place. I can see where some people think Vertigo, but not at all really. It's a bit more punchy and groovy. disclaimer: I love Vertigo more than most people do.

it definitely has some 90s feel to it, which is great. it reminds me a bit of alternate All because of you as well.

Lyrics don't bother me at all. really love the prechorus into chorus.

I'm a fan, and I think this bodes well for the album. Really excited to hear Best Thing next week. Little Things and Blackout is a very good start.

curious who produced Blackout.

Thanks everyone. Full lyrics:

A dinosaur wonders why it still walks the Earth, yeah
A meteor promises it's not gonna hurt, yeah
Earthquakes always happen when you're in bed, Fred
The house shakes
Maybe it was something I said, Ned

Go easy on me
Easy on me, brother
Go easy on me
Easy on me now

When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
The darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

Statues fall and democracy is flat on its back, Jack
We had it all, and what we had is not coming back, Zach
A big mouth says the people they don't want to be free, for free
A blackout is just an extinction event, we see

Go easy on me
Easy on me, brother
Go easy on me
Easy on me now

When the lights go out
Throw yourself about
The darkness where you learn to see
When the lights go out
Don't you ever doubt
The light that we can really be

When the lights go out
Oh, oh
When the lights go out
Oh, oh
When the lights go out

When the lights go out
Blackout, it's clear
Who you are will appear
Blackout, no fear
So glad that we are all still here

When the lights go out

U2 surprised me with this song, I'm digging it. And perfect choice to do a "live" version...the video matches the vibe of the song perfectly. I don't know if it's a great song (probably not), or if it will make a dent at all (probably not), or if anyone will remember it in a few weeks (probably not) but I give the band credit for not putting something safe and cozy out there. It certainly doesn't sound like it's been created by committee like Invisible or most of their last record.

That said, man these lyrics suck.

Last edited:
I love the intro to Magnificent but then Bono has to ruin it with the repeating of the title. The Blackout fixes that with a similar intro, but he lets the song breathe. Love it.

"A big mouth says the people they don't want to be free, for free"

Big mouth on two songs on the album. Wonder who he is referring to?

It's kind of amazing how Adam just keeps getting better and better. He was always good; I like a lot of the stuff he did in the 90s in particular, but SOI and now this song is something else.

I'm torn on this one...

Part of me thinks he's referring to Trump, part of me thinks he's referring to himself.

781.png

Excellent intro to the new album, best lead single/ song since Vertigo.

Bring on the album!!!

Finally U2 scores a good lead single again. Great chorus/bass.

HTDAAB meets AB is a good desription, a Trump lyric if ever Bono had one, and definitely more agressive Edge than SOI. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom