Soe 24 - s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention since Billboard rules have changed, every 1,000 streams of a song is equivalent to 1 album sale. So if they pre-released say 5 songs before the album (like The War on Drugs), that's already 5 songs that you're guaranteed at least a few million streams on, ergo it adds to your sales. Because a lot of the general public won't bother to check out plain old album tracks.

I do wonder if their days of attempting to chase the Hot 100/Pop charts are finally done. Because quite frankly they won't be guaranteed any massive radio success anywhere but the AAA and maybe alternative (though their days of #1s there are over despite the fact that the RHCP are still hugely en vogue!)

But then again, The Best Thing is supposed to be a collab? remix? with Kygo that sounds kind of like Nile Rodgers guitar (and the whole "EDM" "tropical "funky" vibe is in with both Top 40 radio and wider crossover right now). However, it seems like it's only being sent to AAA and Alternative, not to rock radio or to Top 40 mainstream or Top 40 rhythmic or Adult contemporary or Dance radio. Though this is only in the US. Not sure what they're planning in the UK.

Also, in response to someone else in the thread, Mediabase isn't just industry rumors. If it's listed on the site as being sent to radio, then it's a surefire thing. It's the resource that radio stations use to keep up with hot new and future releases.

yeah U2Valencia have just tweeted out the full date of the thing they've been teasing.

DIVqJs4W0AE8CpZ.jpg:large

I dont think they're totally leading us on with made up info, but they've def been a bit troll-y about it all

Well, now this could make a bit more sense to me.
The Blackout gets a video release tomorrow. It's on U2.com, spreads across FB, Insatgram, etc..., articles are written, buzz spreads, the album release date is confirmed, etc...

Then on the 8th TBT goes to radio. Then do they also release a video for that???

They get people to stream and download two new songs building hype for the album.

But still odd, cause it may leave arguably a better song as a side note that never gets radio play. And would mean two new songs 3 months before the album. Also odd.

I keep trying to come up with a plausable plan, but it never quite sounds right...

The Blackout gets a video release tomorrow. It's on U2.com, spreads across FB, Insatgram, etc..., articles are written, buzz spreads, the album release date is confirmed, etc...

Then on the 8th TBT goes to radio. Then do they also release a video for that???

They get people to stream and download two new songs building hype for the album.

But still odd, cause it may leave arguably a better song as a side note that never gets radio play. And would mean two new songs 3 months before the album. Also odd.

I keep trying to come up with a plausable plan, but it never quite sounds right...

This can also answer the question as to whether or not they play anything new in Detroit. Would seem like too much of an opportunity at the start of the last leg of the tour with all the hype around the new album to just have Bono say "new album soon right the edge" and play little things.

Last edited:
So glad they're going back to the 'tried and true' marketing campaign. So they drop a video for their "Rawk" song and build up the "hype"...I'm hoping this is what they do...then drop the 'poppier' YATBTAM and BOOM. we're off to full blown album promotion...:up:

Fall is going to be FUN...:yes:

This can also answer the question as to whether or not they play anything new in Detroit. Would seem like too much of an opportunity at the start of the last leg of the tour with all the hype around the new album to just have Bono say "new album soon right the edge" and play little things.

Yeah, good point. This whole Blackout timing may be for the sake of the tour starting again, and actually being able to play a song that people could go check out afterwards.
Still not sure how the radio aspect will work, but we'll soon find out.

Yeah, IMO 3 months is an eternity in pop culture attention span.

What might assuage that gap is the rumors of a promo tour in November, but why not just release the album then? The JT tour will be over by that point. The videos and album art are presumably done.

You gotta strike while the iron is hot. Even if these new songs have an impact, it's a lot to ask the general public to wait so long for a band who aren't widely seen as vital anymore.

I'd bet they release the video to subscribers this week. Play it in Detroit and have Blackout come out to the public on the 8th. They have to be performing whatever the new single is in Detroit and have it available for people to check out after the show.

What might assuage that gap is the rumors of a promo tour in November, but why not just release the album then? The JT tour will be over by that point. The videos and album art are presumably done.

You gotta strike while the iron is hot. Even if these new songs have an impact, it's a lot to ask the general public to wait so long for a band who aren't widely seen as vital anymore.

If that whole promo tour thing is actually true. Maybe... Possibly... they release 4, 5, 6 songs before that. I can't see how they do a promo tour for an album that you don't play songs from... playing just TBT, The Blackout and Little Things doesn't fly.
Playing 6 or 7 new songs live but not having them available to purchase/stream also seems implausible.

deleted

It seems to me the new strategy for lots of bands in release 2-3 songs before the album is out starting several months out.

I don't follow that many bands closely but all my favorites have done this recently (Manchester Orchestra, Queens of the Stone Age, The National and Arcade Fire).

I doubt they'd release anything this week associated with the concept of Blackout given the situation in Texas (unless it's something they can leverage for fundraising to help that region).

That was a flood though. The song isn't called "Washout"

I doubt they'd release anything this week associated with the concept of Blackout given the situation in Texas (unless it's something they can leverage for fundraising to help that region).

Eh, I don't that will make a big difference. Swift dropped her load of nonsense as the storm hit. I don't think the storm at this point will effect music releases, especially if it's just a fan club, social media type thing where nothing's getting sold.

That was a flood though. The song isn't called "Washout"

If you want to help those who have suffered losses from the hurricane, you may do so through the American Red Cross by visiting redcross.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS or texting the word HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation. Donations to the American Red Cross help purchase supplies needed in the disaster areas.

I had dinner with two U2 pals the other night as I was traveling, and one of them got to be a plus-one for a contest winner. She told us all about the shoot and I am just so excited for the song and to see the video.

Nah... Look at the other pictures. The one of Larry has the WOWY graphics behind him. He took JT pictures and made them black and white.

yeah and Edge is wearing white. if they told the audience to dress in all black and the photos have 3/4 band members in black... it would be strange for Edge to wear white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom