Soe 24 - s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think u2.com changes color schemes and that's it. Something to promote SOE album cover / coloring

We are only 8-10 days away from the date we think we'll have a new song anyway. Not going to freak out over today when it was just a tidbit of news that was rumored to come out.

But I think the annoyance is that most of us in here seem to have a better grasp of marketing than the band. I applaud them for trying new things (apple) but pretty much every move from NLOTH has been the opposite of their intentions

Release a song or songs, and start the promotion. I think they have to know they'll never top the charts again so why make such an effort?

Release good music. Let it stand on its own.

if nothing else, a Pop special edition, with a second disc of alternate/early takes.

Fuck - they were big and bold in the mid 90s.

That was a pretty cool video. They did something similar to this for the ABC POP special. From hearing that video it makes me wish they did not delay POP...Mofo sounded even better in the early stages!!

I think u2.com changes color schemes and that's it. Something to promote SOE album cover / coloring

We are only 8-10 days away from the date we think we'll have a new song anyway. Not going to freak out over today when it was just a tidbit of news that was rumored to come out.

But I think the annoyance is that most of us in here seem to have a better grasp of marketing than the band. I applaud them for trying new things (apple) but pretty much every move from NLOTH has been the opposite of their intentions

Release a song or songs, and start the promotion. I think they have to know they'll never top the charts again so why make such an effort?

Release good music. Let it stand on its own.

I think the promo bits so far have been cool. The letter, the email yesterday, is all good in my eyes. I think that this is far more a traditional release than we are all letting ourselves believe here.
The Mediabase report has us spinning on whether there will be a double song release, one in Europe, one in the US, one to radio, one as a fan club promo... blah blah blah.

I think its much simpler. A few weeks of promo stuff like we've seen so far, and then we get one song, The Blackout, to radio on the 8th.

My one comment would be that it seems like a Looooooooong tease/lead up to this song. The letters were sent on the 19 or 20th, so its been 11 days so far with another 10 to go. Seems a little excessive, but it does seem to be how this is headed.

That was my very first inclination as well, but those that were at the taping say this is not it. Hoping we still have this riff on the album, but from what we've heard from those "in the know" it's not from The Blackout. Unless they are all just fucking with us. :lol::wink:

Herco, can you confirm?

Last edited:
Stop helping meteorites across the milky way like a little old lady

The lights go out in a Blackout
The lights go down in a Blackout
Lights go down in a Blacked out town
The lights go down in a Blackout

Here's my case for optimism as far as hearing the song this week.

Which seems more likely:

1) The band returns from their break on Sunday and plays a normal set list as if none of this Blackout promotion is going on, even as it probably escalates with more teasers. U2.com and U2 the band seem to exist in separate universes.

or

2) The band are in sync with their marketing campaign. The teaser last week and teaser yesterday were designed to coincide with the end of their August break and ramp up to the Blackout's live debut on Sunday. That process will continue over the next few days, culminating in a music video that lets the song first appear in a polished form.

Here's my case for optimism as far as hearing the song this week.

Which seems more likely:

1) The band returns from their break on Sunday and plays a normal set list as if none of this Blackout promotion is going on, even as it probably escalates with more teasers. U2.com and U2 the band seem to exist in separate universes.

or

2) The band are in sync with their marketing campaign. The teaser last week and teaser yesterday were designed to coincide with the end of their August break and ramp up to the Blackout's live debut on Sunday. That process will continue over the next few days, culminating in a music video that lets the song first appear in a polished form.

Most definitely option 1 is far more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom