Soe 24 - s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea. According to that map on U2songs(?), a total of 30 letters were sent. That's too small an effort for any music corporation (what, are they going to have a person in the office randomly select 30 fan club members, in the US only, and send a letter to those fans, knowing in advance they are likely to post something guerilla marketing-style; what if none of those people were Twitter users? what if none of those fans thought to tell a fan site about their letters? noone would know! It's like the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket contest noone knows is happening). Same for the email...they really just sent it to 150 people? What would be the point of that for a world-class band like U2?

No one knows how many letters were sent. We just know that a few of the people who got one spoke up about it on social media. That doesn't mean hundreds of other people didn't get the letter. The band could have sent out 500 or 1,000 of them knowing that a large enough segment of the recipients would post about it on social media for it to spread. That's all they needed for it to have the desired effect.

It just takes a few in today's social media market. If everyone got one it wouldn't be special or have any air of mystery.

I would be more convinced by those letters if they were shown with the ripped-open envelope displaying a return address and stamped. Plus, if they were real, wtf! I want one too! I'll be pissed if they are real and I didn't get one!

No one knows how many letters were sent. We just know that a few of the people who got one spoke up about it on social media. That doesn't mean hundreds of other people didn't get the letter. The band could have sent out 500 or 1,000 of them knowing that a large enough segment of the recipients would post about it on social media for it to spread. That's all they needed for it to have the desired effect.

This!

I'm calling getting Blackout in full tomorrow a long shot but I think based on what our good people have said that we'll at least get some cool info!

I'm calling getting Blackout in full tomorrow a long shot but I think based on what our good people have said that we'll at least get some cool info!

I'm thinking a snippet and an official announcement. I also think it will be a long shot for a full song (which ever one it may be). But I think we will certainly get something tomorrow.

How do we know those letters and emails are legit? I asked yesterday but no one responded. It's a lot easier to fake this stuff now than it was back in 2000 when I joined this place. These were on such a small scale I have to doubt a record company would ever market like that for a band like U2.

2018 it is.

I'd love to get it tomorrow, but I'm having a hard time understanding why we switched from "we'll get something soon" (which looks very very very likely) to "it might be coming tomorrow." The best thing I can think of is that new music is typically released on Tuesday, but that isn't enough evidence (why not next Tuesday?)

How do we know those letters and emails are legit? I asked yesterday but no one responded. It's a lot easier to fake this stuff now than it was back in 2000 when I joined this place. These were on such a small scale I have to doubt a record company would ever market like that for a band like U2.

Emails are easier than letters. Offer U2.com members entrance to secret show, make them confirm via U2.com membership, suddenly you have the email database of the people who went to the show.

Like...it's childs play.

I would be more convinced by those letters if they were shown with the ripped-open envelope displaying a return address and stamped. Plus, if they were real, wtf! I want one too! I'll be pissed if they are real and I didn't get one!

There was no return address on the envelope.

I'd love to get it tomorrow, but I'm having a hard time understanding why we switched from "we'll get something soon" (which looks very very very likely) to "it might be coming tomorrow." The best thing I can think of is that new music is typically released on Tuesday, but that isn't enough evidence (why not next Tuesday?)

Let us just think it's coming out tomorrow please. To hell with logic! It's release season!

See you next Tuesday,
or if you believe U2Valencia's photoshopped troll job:

yeah U2Valencia have just tweeted out the full date of the thing they've been teasing.

DIVqJs4W0AE8CpZ.jpg:large

I dont think they're totally leading us on with made up info, but they've def been a bit troll-y about it all
See you this Tuesday

oh and new music is now typically released on Friday

How many times do we have to say this? Registered Dude is a longtime user whose source has proven right on numerous occasions. And he was told to expect something in the next day or two. We're not pulling this out of our asses by overoptimistic speculation or from some suspicious source.

Emails are easier than letters. Offer U2.com members entrance to secret show, make them confirm via U2.com membership, suddenly you have the email database of the people who went to the show.

Like...it's childs play.

I don't doubt they can create a database of fan emails (and use it). I doubt why they would selectively target 150 people to help promote something to the entire world. And exclude a majority of their own paid subscribers in the process.

I don't doubt they can create a database of fan emails (and use it). I doubt why they would selectively target 150 people to help promote something to the entire world. And exclude a majority of their own paid subscribers in the process.

yeah, but, then today u2.com'ers got emails about The Blackout too.. it's not just coincidence

..and it worked too. the letter got people talking

Well it worked. FFS I'm one of the most suspicious when it comes to this kind of stuff, but the proof is pretty overwhelming.

Ya know what? I think you're right. I think they're fake. It makes much more sense that some prankster happened to have a bunch of emails of U2 fans, and that this prankster was also adept at Photoshop.

Maybe it was the Russians.

You know it's a good day when you check Interference in the evening and see 10 pages of unread posts since the morning.

So we think we're getting music tomorrow?

The only thing I expect tomorrow (if tomorrow is a thing) is the start of official cryptic teasing from U2... changing the website/social media teases, maybe snippets/video teasers, that kind of stuff.

I don't expect they just hit us with a song out of the blue. We'll know when it's going to be released.

I suppose release time brings out both the irrationally positive and expectant users as well as those that refuse to. Relieve the proof of their own eyes until they have a physical product in their hands. In the days of streaming, this could be problematic

I suppose release time brings out both the irrationally positive and expectant users as well as those that refuse to. Relieve the proof of their own eyes until they have a physical product in their hands. In the days of streaming, this could be problematic

Meh; nothing wrong with all of us having our fun. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom