SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure why Fanning says not unlike SOI and TJT..... To even put those albums in the same sentence..... Also please not be like SOI...

Im not sure why Fanning says not unlike SOI and TJT..... To even put those albums in the same sentence..... Also please not be like SOI...

From the song descriptions and having heard The Little Things, I fear this is going to be another album with very little experimentation, not unlike SOI, HTDAAB and ATYCLB. Miss the 90s u2.

Last edited:
maybe it's just that Nile embraces EDM and i have some kind of knee-jerk reaction to it.

:huh: I doubt they're comparing him to Nile because of any modern music trends (or him working with, gasp, Daft Punk). Probably the tendency of Nile to play minor 7th chords or high up on the guitar neck. You know, his signature style.

Last edited:

I think he's saying it's not unlike SOI in the way the subject matter is very personal for Bono. Hopefully the production is similar to TJT in a way that the album will seem more spacious.

I think he's saying it's not unlike SOI in the way the subject matter is very personal for Bono. Hopefully the production is similar to TJT in a way that the album will seem more spacious.

Ahhh yeah thats a good point. That I could with ha The SOI production still bothers me.

Not only song descriptions, but confirmation of single and album release date. Nice.

Also, this random note:

"Security-conscious U2 plan to put special precautions in place to stop the new record leaking ahead of its official release date in December"

Yeah - I wonder what it means?

:huh: I doubt they're comparing him to Nile because of any modern music trends (or him working with, gasp, Daft Punk). Probably the tendency of Nile to play minor 7th chords or high up on the guitar neck. You know, his signature style.

oh if that's the case, then it's probably alright. I like Nile but he's admired lots of EDM artists like Avicii or David Guetta, so i just instinctively thought of all kinds of dance-y songs he worked on recently.

Based on the song descriptions, I've decided that I don't like the album.

I agree 99.9% that it is absurd to judge a song on someone else's description or its title.

With that said, I reserved 0.1% to say that Much, More Better is an awful title and nothing sounds less Rock and Roll/Punk Rock than an acoustic song about falling off your bicycle(yes Queen pulled off a song about a bicycle barely but it wasn't acoustic).

Okay.....Cosmo out!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was released digitally before December 1st. That's one way to avoid it being leaked.

This is all very exciting. But i have to agree with an earlier post that i think we are probably in for a fairly straight forward, safe album.
I'm guessing it will be a bit SOI esque, Consistent, good quality, with a couple of curveballs, but nothing way out there.

And that's not a bad thing. I really like SOI. I place it above any other post 2000 albums. So if they can give me a high quality, consistent album without the dreaded 4 or 5 crap songs, then I will be very pleased as i was with SOI.

Hard to get a lot from the descriptions given. We all knew TBT was light and bouncy. We know Little Things. Much More Better gives no info on style.
I do like the description of Summer of Love. Looking forward to that.

Also, can someone enlighten me on Rubber Soul era Beatles style? I know the Beatles well enough, but not to that detail.

thanks

So it seems the tracks we're getting will be...

1. You're The Best Thing About Me
2. The Little Things That Give You Away
3. Much More Better
4. The Showman
5. Summer Of Love
6. The Light at Home
7. The Black Out
8. American Soul
9. Red Flag Day

+ 2 or 3 more

Also, can someone enlighten me on Rubber Soul era Beatles style? I know the Beatles well enough, but not to that detail.

thanks

my favorite album of theirs.. and I think Bono's too

Very tight, poppy, meloncholy songs - tinged with experimental sounding elements (experimental for pop songs), but nothing as far out as they'd later get

Google has a nice description: "Distilling the influence of the inspirational records of Bob Dylan and the soul singles released by Atlantic, Motown and Stax, they created an album of startling originality. "

Yeah - it was the album that signalled songwriting graduation from rehashing the same lovey-dovey tropes to cool, experimental ground, without being too sonically wild. In a year they went from Can't But Me Love to Norwegian Wood.

Does anyone know the rules for Best Song category for the Oscars? Hugh Jackman has a movie coming out called The Greatest Showman. It might be unlikely, but could they tack The Showman to it for another chance at an Oscar?

Probably safe to say an album that sonically sounds like a mix of HTDAAB and SOI

So it seems the tracks we're getting will be...

1. You're The Best Thing About Me
2. The Little Things That Give You Away
3. Much More Better
4. The Showman
5. Summer Of Love
6. The Light at Home
7. The Black Out
8. American Soul
9. Red Flag Day

+ 2 or 3 more

I would think Tightrope and Get Out Of Your Own Way

Any others?

Probably safe to say an album that sonically sounds like a mix of HTDAAB and SOI

Yeah, i would say that's probably the best guess I could think of as well.
I've got my fingers crossed for a few more "out of the ordinary" songs.
SLABT and The Troubles were my two favorites from SOI. They had that different something about them.
So far TBT and Little Things i view as good songs, but just not extraordinary.

Fingers crossed for The Blackout, Summer of Love, American Soul and Red Flag day. I've liked the small clues we've gotten about these tunes.

Dave Fanning's first review

You’re The Best Thing About Me
Sounds like the Edge has been replaced by Chic genius Nile Rogers. A pulsating tune for late summer.

The Little Things That Give You Away
Thousands fled Croker when U2 played this unknown track as an encore. You should have stayed for this piano-led tune. Edge’s guitar makes this a U2 classic.

Much More Better
Back on your bike Bono. I’m moved by this deeply-personal acoustic track about Bono’s recovery from his bike tumble in New York’s Central Park in 2014.

The Showman
Bono channels The Beatles circa their Rubber Soul era in a song he stresses is about other singers. I love the lyrics: “The showman give you front row to his heart / The shaman prays that his heartache will chart / Making a spectacle of falling apart is the heart of the show.”

Summer of Love
U2 always had real tunes. Bono described this as “achingly beautiful and empty”. I agree.

actually, looking back at this article.. these aren't Fanning's reviews, it's just that of the writer. Wonder if he was part of the listening sessions?

Still begs the question as to whether the press embargo has been lifted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom