SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome find.

This approach now makes sense with the dates we were given. The 9/8 first single and 12/1 album was too far apart for a traditional release (typically 60 days but that's over 80 days) but adding in a second single throws all that out the window.

Love it

Yep, the timeline makes sense.

Finally, a traditional album hype cycle!

I wonder if we will get an announcement of the album + single right at the beginning of September. Have to imagine they'll be playing this new song for the final leg of TJT tour.

Wonder what the tie-in with World AIDS Day will be...

If black out is about current events, they should go with that as the first release instead of the best thing.

The world doesn't need poppy U2 now, it needs social conscious U2.

Tend to agree with this, but if they feel like Best Thing could make *any* waves on radio then they will surely go with that.

If black out is about current events, they should go with that as the first release instead of the best thing.

I agree, but I wonder if it has to do with the fact that they're still touring a pretty social conscious tour? And then when the tour is over they lead into the album with the heavy stuff. OR it could just be U2 being U2 and making the wrong decision again.

I'd much rather the best thing as a lead single if we're talking political versus non political songs. I understand the current climate of what's going on in the world as I'm sure the majority of people are given all the crap that's been going down. I would like to escape it with a nice little love tune. Who knows? Maybe the videos concept will be loving an opposite who turns out to be the best thing about them (can't we all just get along?) They can do a lot with the song as to giving a message I'm sure. I wouldn't look at not putting out a politically charged tune as the first single as a missed opportunity. Given the black out has reportedly have been given the video treatment maybe that politically charged U2 song is the one they want to give it that extra push before the album is released (if it is politically charged).

Last edited:
I'm glad the rumors are still indicating a 2017 release. And I believe them. But is there anything in that U2Songs update that's a) new and b) more "official" than past rumors? I'm just a bit perplexed by the extra level of excitement I've seen on Twitter and here. The post seems to echo what we've been hearing for a while now.

A political song from U2 would be the worst thing they can do.

All we need is more trash talk about Bono.

Release Best Thing and hope it's good enough to make a splash.

This is once again (similar to 2014) a very exciting time for U2 fans.

We have the strong potential for all the following to occur within the next 4 months:

1- new song in September
2- new song in November
3- new album in December
4- new tour announced to support the new album (Australians might have hope here)
5- tour video for JT30(pure speculation but possible)
6-U2 subscriber gift of the 4 JT singles plus live versions
7- promotional performances to support the album release(late night shows, event performances, award shows, etc)

There is also the possibility that most of the above may not happen, so there is that too.

To the social conscience of this tour, would love to see Dead Kennedys "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" as a snippet...would be nice now...

alszuq.jpg

I have a feeling that Black Out will be topical in the way that Ordinary Love was about Mandela.. (Borderline not at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom