SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't be surprised if the listening parties are being held to gauge interest in songs that might be singles.

TBT seems to be the front runner for first single, but if they're inviting press AND fans, maybe the fan reaction is what they're looking at.

Maybe... MAYBE... RD's source's info of a listening party in Amsterdam is the "final" one.

Instead of turning on the phone with your thumbprint you'll now have to do the index finger high-fiveone with Bono's image on the screen.

I thought the new phone will have the new teabagging technology to unlock the phone.

I wouldn't be surprised if the listening parties are being held to gauge interest in songs that might be singles.

TBT seems to be the front runner for first single, but if they're inviting press AND fans, maybe the fan reaction is what they're looking at.

Maybe... MAYBE... RD's source's info of a listening party in Amsterdam is the "final" one.

Considering they are (presumably) shooting a video for that single tomorrow I bet it is set in stone at this point.

I really hope The Best Thing ends up being big. I must admit that from what I heard on the Kygo remix, I wasn't overly impressed. Seems like a decent tune but nothing that would really make a mark. I could be wrong though and maybe the song has changed a bit and/or has more substance to it than what I heard.

I kinda hate the fact that Kygo's synth sound is same every time and he uses same old pentatonic every time, which kinda makes all of his songs sound the same.

Just a thought. U2's single may line up with Apple's iphone 8 announcement!!

I kid, i kid... :wink: Just waiting to hear heads explode. hahahahahahahahaha

i don't know why but i'm imagining the noise you get when you make homemade popcorn in a saucepan, one little first pop, then another and another, and then the whole lot goes crazy in an exploding frenzy :lol:

Just a thought. U2's single may line up with Apple's iphone 8 announcement!!

I kid, i kid... :wink: Just waiting to hear heads explode. hahahahahahahahaha

Part of me would actually love it if U2 did this again as a giant middle finger to the world, but yeah, there's not going to be a repeat of the last release debacle.

I really hope The Best Thing ends up being big. I must admit that from what I heard on the Kygo remix, I wasn't overly impressed. Seems like a decent tune but nothing that would really make a mark. I could be wrong though and maybe the song has changed a bit and/or has more substance to it than what I heard.

Me too but I don't see it. Not U2s fault as they've written some songs that would have been big hits in 80s /90s

They could write the next Hey Jude (tho that may be the issue with them, they're trying to be the Beatles) and it wouldn't make a mark.

The only way U2 gets into the top 10 again is either a tragedy with the band or some gimmick that works this time around.

Hope I'm wrong and they have one final FU to the landscape

Me too but I don't see it. Not U2s fault as they've written some songs that would have been big hits in 80s /90s

They could write the next Hey Jude (tho that may be the issue with them, they're trying to be the Beatles) and it wouldn't make a mark.

The only way U2 gets into the top 10 again is either a tragedy with the band or some gimmick that works this time around.

Hope I'm wrong and they have one final FU to the landscape

Yeah, it's too bad. Ageism is an incredibly powerful and present thing on radio. I think you are right about the only circumstances that would bring them a "hit".
That said. THE thing right now, other than hip hop, is the light alt-rock/pop fusion that is splattered all over "alternative" radio and crosses over regularly to pop and possibly adult contemp stations.
Coldplay mastered it early in the game and has reaped the rewards.
Now it's 21 Pilots, imagine dragons, bleachers, chainsmokers, cage the elephant, etc...

That said, if U2 does a REALLY well done version of TBT, it may be well received in the current climate, since it possibly borders on that style (alt/pop) They also have the ability to be stronger on adult alternative, adult contemp, and rock stations than some other bands.
Won't be a hit, but could at least not be a complete crap out.

What also annoys me is that the band doesn't employ some of the gimmicks that actually work and so many artists use.
Jay-Z was the latest big one. He pretty much did what U2 should have done with Apple.
Samsung or Sprint, or whoever he was working with "bought" a boatload of albums (on paper) from him, and then allowed users to log in and download it for free with a code word, for a very limited time.
Because of the shell "buying" of the album, these were counted as downloaded albums.

So if U2 had Apple "buy" the copies of SOI, then had a link sent out to all iphones to go and enter a code and download it, SOI would have had tens of millions of album sales.
But no. They are U2 after all...

Back
Top Bottom