SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't) - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #106
Refugee

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Yep. One thing I always looked forward to, probably the most was what sound would Edge have on each track?

On the 80s records he seemed to find a unique sound and that stuck throughout the album. Even if he was playing his standard ring those bells style, it was layered so much it sounded unique.

The 90s he took it to a whole new level. AB and Pop each guitar track was so different, yet he wasn't skin anything technically challenging. The Fly, Disco, Please (especially the latter half) were all out there.

ATYCLB still felt to me like he was exploring the guitar but without the crazy effects.

After that album he's just been a generic chords guy with the except of a few songs, and those songs he was basically recapturing a sound from the past.

Still love him and take his boring style over most, but he's such a interesting dude and love to see that come out in his sound again

Make Edge Eat Mushrooms Again

Old 07-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Or take away his Led Zeppelin cds.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Quote:
How will he be able to work out at the gym?
Old 07-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #109
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
The only critisim of HTDAAB was the sum isn't bigger than the parts, and pretty sure they didn't critisize NLOTH or SOI. Unless you count that Facebook "apology" for SOI release method Apple mistake. (which is still a pathetic reason not give the music a proper listen)
The hell are you talking about? They've spent time this decade criticising NLOTH as an incomplete album where they compromised their vision.

Quote:
Please. I don't listen to Edge for Led Zep.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-21-2017, 11:46 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Quote:
Yep. One thing I always looked forward to, probably the most was what sound would Edge have on each track?

On the 80s records he seemed to find a unique sound and that stuck throughout the album. Even if he was playing his standard ring those bells style, it was layered so much it sounded unique.

The 90s he took it to a whole new level. AB and Pop each guitar track was so different, yet he wasn't skin anything technically challenging. The Fly, Disco, Please (especially the latter half) were all out there.

ATYCLB still felt to me like he was exploring the guitar but without the crazy effects.

After that album he's just been a generic chords guy with the except of a few songs, and those songs he was basically recapturing a sound from the past.

Still love him and take his boring style over most, but he's such a interesting dude and love to see that come out in his sound again
Seems like what he did was decide not to repeat himself aside from the classic clean delay ("chimes" to the non-guitarists). So he would go back to his old well but only for the trademark sound.

So largely what we've ended up with is 1) overuse of the trademark sound, 2) too straightforward and bland otherwise, as that was actually some uncharted territory for him, but was stale to listeners that either loved Edge because of what made him great, effects laden tones and not clean tones or...didn't ignore Zeppelin until they were 40 years old.. 3) reticence to use inventive, beloved tones like Zooropa, etc. Mostly for desire to write classically in the RNR or pop context, to have proper chords in their proper songs.

Largely derived from beginning most everything on acoustic or piano. Rather than stumbling into a tricked up riff borne out of the effects pedal.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #111
Refugee

Local Time: 01:47 PM
ZOOROPA is an album that I will mention to anybody anyday as a record full of inventive Edge sound.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #112
Refugee

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The hell are you talking about? They've spent time this decade criticising NLOTH as an incomplete album where they compromised their vision.
Plus they started criticizing SOI's "glossy" production in 2015
Old 07-23-2017, 06:12 AM   #113
War Child

Local Time: 08:47 AM
It seems that they are talking about SOE and the new song in DC universe as well

Old 07-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

They've been vocal about it being a 3 part record from the start if that's what you mean.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuk5 View Post
Plus they started criticizing SOI's "glossy" production in 2015
Production but not the material...which is funny since it sounds by far the best (out of their output in the last 20 years).

eta : given their - read: Edge's - wishes, they'd remix/rerecord every album anyway...
Old 07-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #116
Vocal parasite

Quote:
They've been vocal about it being a 3 part record from the start if that's what you mean.
Try harder. They have straight up discussed that they didn't fully commit to the original vision, and that backing off from what they were doing in Fez compromised the final product.

But keep writing your own weird U2 narrative that you've been posting on this forum for the better part of two decades.

Quote:
Production but not the material...which is funny since it sounds by far the best (out of their output in the last 20 years).
You do realise you're not actually arguing against my original point here? With the exception of ATYCLB, they have talked down the preceding album when promoting a new release. That can mean criticising the individual songs, the production, whether it met their original vision, etc. A basic promotional technique now seems to be highlighting a flaw or shortcoming of the past album in order to boost the new release.

Except that come 2026 and the release of Songs of Walking Frames, they'll be suggesting Songs of Experience had too many guitars or too few guitars or just the right amount of guitars mixed badly, or not enough onions on the cover...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Quote:
You do realise you're not actually arguing against my original point here? With the exception of ATYCLB, they have talked down the preceding album when promoting a new release. That can mean criticising the individual songs, the production, whether it met their original vision, etc. A basic promotional technique now seems to be highlighting a flaw or shortcoming of the past album in order to boost the new release.

Except that come 2026 and the release of Songs of Walking Frames, they'll be suggesting Songs of Experience had too many guitars or too few guitars or just the right amount of guitars mixed badly, or not enough onions on the cover...
I've mentioned it before, but there are a lot of other bands that do the exact same thing. It's not just U2 or this band or that. Even then, it makes sense that someone will hype up a new release for the simple reason that they're excited about it. It's new-ish songs they've written and likely ones they feel strongly about because of it.

Then as time goes along, you listen back and think about how maybe this decision could have been different or how that one guitar doesn't sound right now, etc. One thing to keep in mind is that musicians are not going to hear songs the exact same way we do. Heck, when I write songs myself, I don't hear them from the point of view of a random listener. I think of it as something I'm molding and constantly make decisions as to whether the parts are all correct or not. There are probably artists out there who don't mind just creating something, complete work on it fairly quickly and then throwing it out there. But Edge or whoever gets blamed certainly isn't the only guy that takes their time with things, or says that this could've been better or not.

George Martin once had a quote that sort of summed this up nicely re: a conversation with John Lennon:

It’s a funny thing, John said this to me originally when we were spending an evening together and it shook me to the core when we were talking about old things and he said, ‘I’d love to do everything again.’ To me that was just a horror. And I said, “John, you can’t really mean it. Even Strawberry Fields? And he said, “Especially Strawberry Fields!” I thought, oh s**t, all the effort that went into that. We worked very hard on that trying to capture something that was nebulous.

So it's not being a bad person or wanting to sell a new album... from what it seems, it's just being an actual human being.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think atyclb and achtung baby might be the only U2 albums that Bono likes.

I hate how he views Zooropa and Pop as an unfortunate diversion. Those 2 are both in my top 5 U2 albums.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #119
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
I've mentioned it before, but there are a lot of other bands that do the exact same thing. It's not just U2 or this band or that. Even then, it makes sense that someone will hype up a new release for the simple reason that they're excited about it. It's new-ish songs they've written and likely ones they feel strongly about because of it.

Then as time goes along, you listen back and think about how maybe this decision could have been different or how that one guitar doesn't sound right now, etc. One thing to keep in mind is that musicians are not going to hear songs the exact same way we do. Heck, when I write songs myself, I don't hear them from the point of view of a random listener. I think of it as something I'm molding and constantly make decisions as to whether the parts are all correct or not. There are probably artists out there who don't mind just creating something, complete work on it fairly quickly and then throwing it out there. But Edge or whoever gets blamed certainly isn't the only guy that takes their time with things, or says that this could've been better or not.

George Martin once had a quote that sort of summed this up nicely re: a conversation with John Lennon:

It’s a funny thing, John said this to me originally when we were spending an evening together and it shook me to the core when we were talking about old things and he said, ‘I’d love to do everything again.’ To me that was just a horror. And I said, “John, you can’t really mean it. Even Strawberry Fields? And he said, “Especially Strawberry Fields!” I thought, oh s**t, all the effort that went into that. We worked very hard on that trying to capture something that was nebulous.

So it's not being a bad person or wanting to sell a new album... from what it seems, it's just being an actual human being.
I get where you're coming from, but I sense a difference in how U2 post-Pop have treated their immediately previous work compared to how they did in their first couple of decades. Of course October always got some flak, and Edge wants another go at everything. I know that feeling, I've published a bunch of stuff and don't like to read over it because all I can see is how to improve it. But now it feels like the old album has to be talked of as something necessarily lesser than the new one - not just that the band have stepped up, that they can now realise their vision better or have honed their craft further, but that there was something "wrong" with what they did last.

It's one thing to see how you might make something better, it's another to suggest there was some deeper, even intrinsic, failing. And, to be honest, I think one big reason U2 have identified these failings is because of their quest for sales as a measure of relevance. Pop, NLOTH, and SOI didn't set global charts on fire

(here comes somebody with a list of how many countries they went #1; you know what I mean, it didn't meet U2's lofty expectations, benchmarked by, most recently, ATYCLB)
and HTDAAB got remembered for one song rather than the album. But THIS ONE WILL! IT REALLY WILL! Because it rights the wrongs of the last album and cracks that mystical formula for relevance! Except until it's the old album and they have to sell another record. Only ATYCLB seems exempt from criticism and proposed revision by the band, and that's because of how damn Relevant™ it was.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #120
Refugee

Criticizing their own work is fine. Where I get lost though is criticizing on the basis of sales and relevance.