SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It also happens to be the first song as they can't decided the other 11

Judging by seeing the Toronto 2005 Discotheque youtube video.

The 2005 version was great! I can't believe they dropped it after only playing it twice. WTF? The only performances of ANY song from POP since the end of the Elevation Tour! (There was 1 instance of SATS in 2011, though not at a U2 concert). I remember there was talk, possibly by Willie Williams, of a "Pop Encore" in the same vein as the "Zoo Encore", which would've featured a rocked up version of Mofo, Discotheque which would segue into Velvet Dress. I'd have loved that as a way to mix up from the Zoo encore, and the lame acoustic encore.

At some point they need to address the POP album. They seem to prefer to pretend it didn't exist, but they cannot hide from it forever.

The fact that we'll probably never hear them play Please or Mofo live again is fucking criminal.

There was a miami snippet in miami, acknowledgement complete

The fact that we'll probably never hear them play Please or Mofo live again is fucking criminal.

It's mind boggling. Please would have been a perfect song for this tour. I'd rather hear that than Miss Syria. Even bloody Starting At The Sun, this would have been an easy Bono & Edge acoustic play on the I&E tour.

giphy.gif

The 2005 version was great! I can't believe they dropped it after only playing it twice. WTF? The only performances of ANY song from POP since the end of the Elevation Tour! (There was 1 instance of SATS in 2011, though not at a U2 concert). I remember there was talk, possibly by Willie Williams, of a "Pop Encore" in the same vein as the "Zoo Encore", which would've featured a rocked up version of Mofo, Discotheque which would segue into Velvet Dress. I'd have loved that as a way to mix up from the Zoo encore, and the lame acoustic encore.

At some point they need to address the POP album. They seem to prefer to pretend it didn't exist, but they cannot hide from it forever.

360 tour had the perfect setting for DISCOTHEQUE's revival. Even they played a great extended snippet of it in one of the concert at the end of CRAZY TONIGHT. It sounded amazing.

They will play them again - moods change - in a few years time they will be in a completely different mindset - remember they said they'd never play Sunday Bloody Sunday ever again.

They will play them again - moods change - in a few years time they will be in a completely different mindset - remember they said they'd never play Sunday Bloody Sunday ever again.

Honestly, as much as I loved Mofo and Discothèque during the Popmart Tour. I can't imagine to feel the same for these songs when a 60 year old Bono would sing about "that lovey-dovey stuff".

so will the filming in Amsterdam be a video shoot for TBT ? Would be nice

I imagine so. I suppose we'll find out in a day or so. I don't dare hope that some crafty fan brings a recording device with them...

I'm very bored with SBS, Pride, One and NYD. I hope that, after this tour, these songs make room for MOFO, please, Gone, Magnificent, Kite, Seconds, THBAO, Tomorrow.

Honestly, as much as I loved Mofo and Discothèque during the Popmart Tour. I can't imagine to feel the same for these songs when a 60 year old Bono would sing about "that lovey-dovey stuff".

But a nearly 60 year old Bono singing Mysterious Ways is fine?

NYD wasn't even a mainstay on the past tours... or played in this key even. First time I ever caught it live was on this tour. One got played sporadically on the last tour and Pride even got a break during 360.

Unless people are going to every show, I'm not sure how I'd be "bored" with it, personally. Maybe annoyed with reading it on set lists all the time, but if that's the case, I just wouldn't read them every time.

But a nearly 60 year old Bono singing Mysterious Ways is fine?

You know ... Mysterious Ways was played on multiple tours in different settings ... Mofo just during Popmart... there's this Popmart imagery I connect to Mofo .

And I just checked u2gigs.com and wow .. Discothèque was played 18 times on the Elevation Tour? Didn't remember that

If it were for my taste .. they could play many POP songs on the e+i Tour next year .. why not Gone and Please at least ..

NYD wasn't even a mainstay on the past tours... or played in this key even.

Eh, it was done at half (usually much more than half) of the shows of any given tour from War through to Vertigo. 360 and IE really stick out as abnormal for NYD.

I think the perspective of it being rare is one held more by American fans than others, and I suppose for good reason: it missed the entire third leg of Vertigo (North America), and was played just five times in the US on 360. On Vertigo, once you take out that third leg, it appeared at 65 of the remaining 81 shows. On 360 it was played at about a third of the shows outside the US, but only at a sixth in the States.

Eh, it was done at half (usually much more than half) of the shows of any given tour from War through to Vertigo. 360 and IE really stick out as abnormal for NYD.

I think the perspective of it being rare is one held more by American fans than others, and I suppose for good reason: it missed the entire third leg of Vertigo (North America), and was played just five times in the US on 360. On Vertigo, once you take out that third leg, it appeared at 65 of the remaining 81 shows. On 360 it was played at about a third of the shows outside the US, but only at a sixth in the States.

Well, I meant more along the lines of recent tours as opposed to older ones (where it most likely was a mainstay, obviously). I didn't even start seeing the band until the Vertigo tour, so obviously I'm a bit skewed in my perception there too. Along with being an American as well.

Tomorrow in the afternoon, and i'm in.

No more details for now...

Nice. Congrats on getting in! You must be getting a new song. Can't really see them playing anything else. And is this at the stadium or somewhere else?

Thanks! Yeah hopefully a new song.

Details about location to follow, don't know.
Don't know how many people.
Got confirmation email from U2.com last night.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom