SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't) - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Agree on both counts.

SOI felt much more natural to me in the songwriting and delivery than he's been since POP. Even in a song like Volcano that might have some questionable lines, everything flows well, the music is killer and Bono's voice sounds early 80's esque top notch. The album as a whole is still not at the 90's level songwriting, but a definite improvement.

I think if there is anything that everyone can agree on is that Edge needs to stretch and give us much more than he has for these past 4 albums. He has had a moment here or there, but it used to be a majority of the songs that he would give us quality stuff.

Yep. Both yours and the quoted post are spot on, imo.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

SEAN WITH THE WIND!

(bye Spicey)

Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #93
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Agree on both counts.
SOI felt much more natural to me in the songwriting and delivery than he's been since POP. Even in a song like Volcano that might have some questionable lines, everything flows well, the music is killer and Bono's voice sounds early 80's esque top notch. The album as a whole is still not at the 90's level songwriting, but a definite improvement.

I think if there is anything that everyone can agree on is that Edge needs to stretch and give us much more than he has for these past 4 albums. He has had a moment here or there, but it used to be a majority of the songs that he would give us quality stuff.
Agreed.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
SEAN WITH THE WIND!

(bye Spicey)
US Politics II
Old 07-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseggleton View Post
This was epic!!! Thank you.
well thanks, however you're likely to pay a price for that compliment
Old 07-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
But then people go crazy over Iris when it comes out, so...
Old 07-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #97
War Child

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Agree on both counts.

Not disagreeing re edge there, but can you or others here provide an example of what it sounds like when edge turns it on? I know, achtung... and I also get what you mean to the extent that there is an Edge playbook and he may have been reaching into it too much for (dis)comfort recently.
Still, I thought he was pretty good on SOI in songs like Volcano, TIWYCRMN, SLABT, RBW was just fantastic, and among the bonuses TCB was good.

Is it commonly perceived that Edge has more than four or five 'special' songs per album pre-2000s? More than that, what does a great Edge take sound like? Besides AB, which to me was one of the best performances by a lead guitarist, have we often gotten 'Edge on Fire' records?

To me the only time he seemed to be phoning it in was on HTDAAB, when the band seemed to have arrived at a collective decision to recreate their best moments from the past and Edge just adapted some pieces (BTBS= LAPOE, WTSHNN= COBL, Walk On= CFYT, etc.).
Old 07-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #98
War Child

Also, TLTTGYA may seem U2 by numbers, but those are pretty damn good numbers.

https://youtu.be/6xCIneBtyn8

Watch and listen to this, if you haven't already, and tell me that that ending isn't special.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIS View Post
Not disagreeing re edge there, but can you or others here provide an example of what it sounds like when edge turns it on? I know, achtung... and I also get what you mean to the extent that there is an Edge playbook and he may have been reaching into it too much for (dis)comfort recently.
Still, I thought he was pretty good on SOI in songs like Volcano, TIWYCRMN, SLABT, RBW was just fantastic, and among the bonuses TCB was good.

Is it commonly perceived that Edge has more than four or five 'special' songs per album pre-2000s? More than that, what does a great Edge take sound like? Besides AB, which to me was one of the best performances by a lead guitarist, have we often gotten 'Edge on Fire' records?

To me the only time he seemed to be phoning it in was on HTDAAB, when the band seemed to have arrived at a collective decision to recreate their best moments from the past and Edge just adapted some pieces (BTBS= LAPOE, WTSHNN= COBL, Walk On= CFYT, etc.).
I don't know if is that he had this crazy amount of blockbuster moments on pre-2000's albums, but just that since then he seems to be more part of the background than a centerpiece.
POP for example he was insane on Disco, Mofo, gone, Please... and even on the ones that weren't full on guitar blast, he had unique sounds and textures that drew attention, like SATS, Miami, PBM, etc...

Now he seems more consistently a background player, with moments of stepping forward.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
I think Axver's point was that, if you consider the band's comments (regarding their prior album when a new album cycle starts) since the release of HTDAAB, by their own logic they have passed that limit already.
The only critisim of HTDAAB was the sum isn't bigger than the parts, and pretty sure they didn't critisize NLOTH or SOI. Unless you count that Facebook "apology" for SOI release method Apple mistake. (which is still a pathetic reason not give the music a proper listen)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
And maybe start making sleep a priority, find a less fake looking hairdo, and exercise more so he doesn't have to wheeze his way through Vertigo half the time.

I always laugh when he jokes about his mullet days...when you consider that it was of the time and looked better than half his do's since the 2000's.

His Vertigo tour do was WAY worse than Live Aid. Lose the weave...close cropped NLOTH / 360 is still the best bet at his age.

BAGEL TIME.
Mullet was of the time...it's still the worst haircut (not that Vertigo's far behind, to be fair). Top 3 rounded up with that one time during Popmart when he was completely (shave) bald. That reminds me...take off the hat already, Edge. Those circa 2003 pics sans the hoodie were fine.

I know...that short NLOTH/360/ E. Storm-BD video type of haircut works for him.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
I don't know if is that he had this crazy amount of blockbuster moments on pre-2000's albums, but just that since then he seems to be more part of the background than a centerpiece.
POP for example he was insane on Disco, Mofo, gone, Please... and even on the ones that weren't full on guitar blast, he had unique sounds and textures that drew attention, like SATS, Miami, PBM, etc...

Now he seems more consistently a background player, with moments of stepping forward.
Yeah he used to be the driving force behind the songs. His stuff from Boy - AB was a sort of rhythm guitar / lead combo.

A lot of his 2000s playing seems to be subtler. Surely deliberate on his part
Old 07-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
Yeah he used to be the driving force behind the songs. His stuff from Boy - AB was a sort of rhythm guitar / lead combo.

A lot of his 2000s playing seems to be subtler. Surely deliberate on his part
Yeah and he really got into that Zepplin sound. Might be a lazy comparison I guess. But it would be great to get some An Cat Dubh or Electric Co kind of songs out of him again.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Yep. One thing I always looked forward to, probably the most was what sound would Edge have on each track?

On the 80s records he seemed to find a unique sound and that stuck throughout the album. Even if he was playing his standard ring those bells style, it was layered so much it sounded unique.

The 90s he took it to a whole new level. AB and Pop each guitar track was so different, yet he wasn't skin anything technically challenging. The Fly, Disco, Please (especially the latter half) were all out there.

ATYCLB still felt to me like he was exploring the guitar but without the crazy effects.

After that album he's just been a generic chords guy with the except of a few songs, and those songs he was basically recapturing a sound from the past.

Still love him and take his boring style over most, but he's such a interesting dude and love to see that come out in his sound again
Old 07-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIS View Post
Crumbs From Your Table's chorus shares a similar chord progression to Walk On's outro. That's about it though. Not really uncommon for bands to do that, since there's only so many places you can go.

Miracle Drug also uses the D-A-Bm-G progression made famous in With or Without You.