SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well they shot the last tour in Paris so that's not happening again. And I don't think it's happening in Amsterdam either. And I feel like we would have heard more rumbling from sources if there was a full-on concert shoot about to happen.

Also, the band doesn't need a multi-night stand to shoot something, either. The 360 Rose Bowl show was a single night, they just rehearsed with cameras in Vegas the night before.

My money is still on New Orleans or Phoenix.

I can't see how that's possible. Those shows are gonna be about 70% full. No way are they going to have a stadium tour video with no wide shots of the audience. And also, the Euro crowds are much more enthusiastic than the remaining stops in the US. They'd be crazy to film anything on the US second leg, other than possibly Minneapolis or San Diego.

Maybe they will have a tour diary? Piece together footage from multiple shows without trying to edit it into one cohesive show? I always thought Coldplay's Live 2012 video was well done.

Full text from the U2.com link (behind a subscriber paywall):

Word is that the band might be doing a little filming later this week.
Somewhere around central Amsterdam.
Late afternoon to early evening Thursday.
Might even be some room for some fans to catch the action... up close and personal.

Sound like the kind of thing you might be up for?

Put it in your diary and we’ll have more detail later in the week.

Enter your details below.

From the sound of this, I don't think it has anything to do with a concert taping. This certainly reads like a fan request for a promo/music video filming :hyper:

Full text from the U2.com link (behind a subscriber paywall):

From the sound of this, I don't think it has anything to do with a concert taping. This certainly reads like a fan request for a promo/music video filming :hyper:

Yeah, definitely a promo or video shoot. Cool to get reports from fans there that may get to hear the song...

I can't see how that's possible. Those shows are gonna be about 70% full. No way are they going to have a stadium tour video with no wide shots of the audience. And also, the Euro crowds are much more enthusiastic than the remaining stops in the US. They'd be crazy to film anything on the US second leg, other than possibly Minneapolis or San Diego.

I think we focus too much on EU and USA
With gigs in South America this is a perfect opportunity to have a video from Chile, Argentina, or Brazil where they have four gigs.

It's a great opportunity for Chile or Argentina with emphasis on Mothers of Disappeared.
And crowds there are passionate and loud. Look at some videos from popmart from there...

I personally like watching South America concerts in general because everyone goes nuts and excited there. like, lots of European and US fans seem so sedated watching their favorite artists.....

I don't think there will be an official film or recording from this tour, especially if they're releasing the new album this year. They'd be competing against themselves... past vs present.

I get that reasoning but it's still leaving money on the table. You could release it after all the new album hub-bub has died down, maybe after tickets for the next tour have gone on sale already?

With gigs in South America this is a perfect opportunity to have a video from Chile, Argentina, or Brazil where they have four gigs.

It's a great opportunity for Chile or Argentina with emphasis on Mothers of Disappeared.
And crowds there are passionate and loud. Look at some videos from popmart from there...

Yes, it's does seem like it would make for a great video, but it would just be odd to record it outside of America when so much of the album (not to mention the tour's screen imagery) is focused on it. Yes, there are a couple songs that are inspired by countries in Central/South America but it doesn't make nearly as much thematic sense.

I don't think they'll film an American show as the crowds there aren't as lively.

Yeah, they'd never record an official tour document in Chicago, Boston, or Los Angeles.

How about Mexico City or a South America stop? Lots of shows and the craziest crowds on the face of the earth.

Mexico City was already used for Popmart, so that's not happening. Sao Paolo certainly a possibility.

Went to the croke park gig:hyper: but that last song :sad: if that's what SoE sounds like. Bono should sing lower, he's fucking the song up.
Thats the problem to me, half the tracks of SoI he sang to high and that made the album weak. Compare the troubles with the alternate version, wich is way better.
Luckely he is doing Ultra Violet right this time

Yes, it's does seem like it would make for a great video, but it would just be odd to record it outside of America when so much of the album (not to mention the tour's screen imagery) is focused on it. Yes, there are a couple songs that are inspired by countries in Central/South America but it doesn't make nearly as much thematic sense.

Well...bullet and mothers - directly about South America. Bullet has USA as a large part of it, but the story of the song in going on in SA

First three songs - can be about anything. Streets is even about streets in Ireland (one explanation by the band).
Running - is it about USA? Not really
Red hill - about uk miners
One tree hill - about a new Zealand man

I don't se more songs being thematically about USA than about SA. Of course if they can spin it that way during the gig.
Also - having mothers on official release could be special

Last edited:
Definitely rooting for a Phoenix shoot. I just moved here about 2 months ago from Illinois. Had to sell my Chicago tickets as that show was about a week after we were set to leave. Thought I wouldn't get to see them this tour, until they added the Phoenix show recently. Shooting the DVD here would be a pretty cool turn of events.

Also, had a dream about the album release last night. Makes no sense, but me and a bunch of people were sitting in a classroom, and Larry was behind the desk. He literally handed out copies of the album and we all sat and listened to it. Consensus was that it wasn't very good, though...

I personally like watching South America concerts in general because everyone goes nuts and excited there. like, lots of European and US fans seem so sedated watching their favorite artists.....

They have the best attitude, IMO. It's almost like they're at a football match! I sure hope we get some pro-shot footage of this tour from South America!

Agreed, i didn't mean to leave out SA in that list. Remember watching a video of Out of Control from some SA show. Holy shit. It was incredible. Just a sea of exuberant humanity. A lil different from the show in Buffalo or St. Louis I would assume...

I make no secret of my love for SOI.

I like all the songs on the album(Ceaderwood Road and RBW are so so).
I like Crystal Ballroom
I don't mind Lucifers Hands
I don't mind the acoustic versions(I love EBW acoustic)
I like the alternate version of SLAB
I like Invisible

But the alternate version of the Troubles is awful and unlistenable.

also theres some pic of Neil taking photo with Adrian Belew, so does that mean Adrian is....in the new U2 album? am i just imagining that?

Back
Top Bottom