SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't) - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 04:42 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:18 PM
Yeah...old stories, eternal "the album better be good" talk from Bono, lots of "nostalgia but not really" tour defense talk. And in the 40+minutes we get less vague lines on the album than you can count with your fingers. Edge's mushroom story saved the interview.

Here's a thought for the next era : someone needs to drop the shades and start shaving.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #77
War Child

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Have AMP already designed the new album cover? Not that its exactly ground breaking news, as I'm sure they've probably been working on it in some form for a while. Anyways:

https://twitter.com/AmpVisualDesign

Old 07-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
Yeah...old stories, eternal "the album better be good" talk from Bono, lots of "nostalgia but not really" tour defense talk. And in the 40+minutes we get less vague lines on the album than you can count with your fingers. Edge's mushroom story saved the interview.

Here's a thought for the next era : someone needs to drop the shades and start shaving.
He should just rip his eyeballs out while he's at it. That'll help solve that pesky glaucoma thing. What a pussy, amirite???!?!?

Seriously though...
Old 07-21-2017, 05:54 AM   #79
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

Mate, you said there is no song called "Don't Give Up (Africa)". There is. It's a modification, not a faithful cover, of Gabriel's "Don't Give Up".
Ok, I concede.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #80
Refugee

Quote:
And maybe start making sleep a priority, find a less fake looking hairdo, and exercise more so he doesn't have to wheeze his way through Vertigo half the time.

I always laugh when he jokes about his mullet days...when you consider that it was of the time and looked better than half his do's since the 2000's.

His Vertigo tour do was WAY worse than Live Aid. Lose the weave...close cropped NLOTH / 360 is still the best bet at his age.

BAGEL TIME.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:

Marry me?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macawaca View Post
Jolyon Thomas tweeted a link to the Bullet discussion on the Zane Lowe interview yesterday. He's shared quite a few U2 links of late, hopefully he is still like Larry, "on board"!
i pray he is quite heavily involved. New blood please.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseggleton View Post
Maybe...but.... I kinda felt like Bman was saying we get it. This better be special or we will be a heritage act. It gives me hope. Then again all their albums give me hope. For many they are well past 2 crap albums and we are finished.
As for the "two crap albums" thing. People say they've already crossed that red line. But I don't really agree...

I mean, having a few crap songs on an otherwise good/great album does not equal a crap album.

ATYCLB - not my favorite, but BD, Kite (in my top 3 U2 songs), WILATW, New York, Walk On, Elevation, A lot of people love Stuck, although I don't, are all strong. IALW and WH, are both solid enough, not crap songs.

HTDAAB - Probably my least favorite U2 album, but overall it wasn't "crap" While Vertigo, COBL, and SYCMIOYO, are on a little higher tier, the rest is pretty solid, although I don't like Crumbs or Yahweh,
All said, not a "crap" album.

NLOTH - If not for the middle three, a really great album. With some of my favorites, NLOTH, Fez, MOS, and Magnificent.

SOI - In my top 5 U2 albums - No crap at all. Yes, TCB should have been included, and SFS is my least favorite, but sort of a middle of the road bland song, like Stuck, Man and a Woman, Miracle Drug, All Because of you type of bland song. No crap album here either.

So I think they have made it without hitting the two crap album limit. Especially cause i think Bono means two crap albums in a row.

For those saying they have long passed the two crap album time, what rationale are you using?
Old 07-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #84
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post

For those saying they have long passed the two crap album time, what rationale are you using?
I think Axver's point was that, if you consider the band's comments (regarding their prior album when a new album cycle starts) since the release of HTDAAB, by their own logic they have passed that limit already.

Personally, I don't think that's true as they've never released even one crap album.

IMO, HTDAAB was the closest they came (but I love Crumbs, AMAAW, and Yahweh ).

You can't call an album with Gloria, Tomorrow, Fire, Rejoice, October, and SIASL (which is sublime and criminally underrated) crap so I have no idea why some people (including the band) would suggest such a ridiculous thing.

It's just they way they're wired in always reaching for more and looking back critically at their most recent work....as well as it being a dash of promotion for the new album. As in, "this is why this album is better..."

More than a few grains of salt are needed to be taken at these moments...
Old 07-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

At least Bono used a different adjective for SOE, ridiculous. Not punk rock on Venus. Not Edge is on fire. Not 11 singles put together

Not sure what ridiculous means. I'd love for Bono to have better song writing and Edge to do a little more than he has on the last two albums.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #86
Refugee

Local Time: 12:18 PM
htaab is a crap album because every song is bad

nloth is a crap album because the middle three songs don't fit with the other eight at all and they're bad too. it's bad as an album.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #87
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I'd love for Bono to have better song writing and Edge to do a little more than he has on the last two albums.
I thought his songwriting was improved on the last album (since HTDAAB). He's still way too clunky at times. Maybe he needs to stop worrying about avoiding simple rhymes (hide/inside) although we've all heard heart / kneel / soul quite a bit ;]

I do wish Edge would experiment and stretch more these days. There's a degree of autopilot at times...
Old 07-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #88
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
htaab is a crap album because every song is bad

nloth is a crap album because the middle three songs don't fit with the other eight at all and they're bad too. it's bad as an album.
Nope.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
I thought his songwriting was improved on the last album (since HTDAAB). He's still way too clunky at times. Maybe he needs to stop worrying about avoiding simple rhymes (hide/inside) although we've all heard heart / kneel / soul quite a bit ;]

I do wish Edge would experiment and stretch more these days. There's a degree of autopilot at times...
Agree on both counts.
SOI felt much more natural to me in the songwriting and delivery than he's been since POP. Even in a song like Volcano that might have some questionable lines, everything flows well, the music is killer and Bono's voice sounds early 80's esque top notch. The album as a whole is still not at the 90's level songwriting, but a definite improvement.

I think if there is anything that everyone can agree on is that Edge needs to stretch and give us much more than he has for these past 4 albums. He has had a moment here or there, but it used to be a majority of the songs that he would give us quality stuff.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #90
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Agree on both counts.
SOI felt much more natural to me in the songwriting and delivery than he's been since POP. Even in a song like Volcano that might have some questionable lines, everything flows well, the music is killer and Bono's voice sounds early 80's esque top notch. The album as a whole is still not at the 90's level songwriting, but a definite improvement.

I think if there is anything that everyone can agree on is that Edge needs to stretch and give us much more than he has for these past 4 albums. He has had a moment here or there, but it used to be a majority of the songs that he would give us quality stuff.
True.