SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems like a lot of confusion regarding the Best Thing shoot at the concert yesterday and today.

Btw to me one of their best song ever is HMTMKMKM.

First live U2 concert for me was a Popmart Show ... Bono coming on stage coughing ... the Hold Me intro alone was giving me the chills ... will always remember that

If SOE had some powerful songs like HMTMKMKM I'd be happy

First live U2 concert for me was a Popmart Show ... Bono coming on stage coughing ... the Hold Me intro alone was giving me the chills ... will always remember that

If SOE had some powerful songs like HMTMKMKM I'd be happy

Awesome! My first u2 concert was popmart (Toronto) as well! I'll never forget that day! And yes if there is a song even remotely as great as HM... On SOE, I'll be ecstatic. Anything 90's u2 was just awesome so I am liking the fact that people are describing a 90's feel to what they have heard in the new songs.

Double lead single, surely ? A rocker and a groove/dance song.

I think this could be it. There was a rumoured plan to release The Best Thing early July, with a second 'proper' lead single in September. Maybe they've decided to still do that, but in a condensed timeline.

Back in 2014, Coldplay release 'Midnight' as a standalone single, then a few days later released 'Magic' and with it, announced their album 'Ghost Stories'. They got to break new ground (for them) and make a statement with the more atmospheric 'Midnight', then get radio play with the more commercial 'Magic'.

Perhaps u2 will do something similar. Release a 'Holy shit this fucking rocks' tune to really make a statement, then quickly put out 'The Best Thing' as a more radio friendly tune.

Awesome! My first u2 concert was popmart (Toronto) as well! I'll never forget that day! And yes if there is a song even remotely as great as HM... On SOE, I'll be ecstatic. Anything 90's u2 was just awesome so I am liking the fact that people are describing a 90's feel to what they have heard in the new songs.

Besides the kind of "nasty" music in Hold Me ... I like the way Bono sings the lyrics .. it has this playful, sarcastic tone ... which I miss in the post POP era

Does anyone have photos of this girl/her jacket with lyrics printed on them?

DF70uvyXoAEqrmO.jpg

It's the last concert of the leg Tuesday right? Would be cool if they closed with the best thing for promotion footage purposes if it's not the lead single. If not would be nice if they gave some sort of hint of their plans at the end.

Last edited:
It's the last concert of the leg Tuesday right? Would be cool if they closed with the best thing for promotion footage purposes if it's not the lead single. If not would be nice if they gave some sort of hint of their plans at the end.

Tuesday, August 1st is the last show of the European Leg in Brussels ... I guess if they play a new song, it's Little Things ... everything else (Blackout, Best Thing) might come in the next US leg

i think he used in couple of songs in Popmart, like New Years Day, Until the End of the World, and Bullet the Blue Sky but after 2000s, he's only used that guitar in Until The End of the World.

Popmart's BTBS and UTEOTW guitar tones are among my all-time favourite. So, I am eagerly awaiting to hear this song.

I think this could be it. There was a rumoured plan to release The Best Thing early July, with a second 'proper' lead single in September. Maybe they've decided to still do that, but in a condensed timeline.

Back in 2014, Coldplay release 'Midnight' as a standalone single, then a few days later released 'Magic' and with it, announced their album 'Ghost Stories'. They got to break new ground (for them) and make a statement with the more atmospheric 'Midnight', then get radio play with the more commercial 'Magic'.

Perhaps u2 will do something similar. Release a 'Holy shit this fucking rocks' tune to really make a statement, then quickly put out 'The Best Thing' as a more radio friendly tune.

I'm all for a double A-side (to use a retro term).

I think Drake does this frequently; he'll put out multiple singles at the same time, gauge reaction, and then put muscle behind the one that gets the most heat. Did this with Hotline Bling, One Dance, and Fake Love. It's a win win because we end up with more music.

@U2start
The band reportedly have been filming until 4am last night. Bono said he had some voice problems earlier today due to these shows/shoots.
Seems like a lot is going on in Amsterdam.

Also, zero chance they play anything new. I think live footage is just being used from MW to piece into video for Best Thing.

I'm all for a double A-side (to use a retro term).

I think Drake does this frequently; he'll put out multiple singles at the same time, gauge reaction, and then put muscle behind the one that gets the most heat. Did this with Hotline Bling, One Dance, and Fake Love. It's a win win because we end up with more music.

It's a smart tactic. Also, it gets rid of that common complaint a lot of us have of "they should have opened with x single, not y one". When U2 announced NLOTH, they let GoYB hang in the air like a bad smell for a month before releasing the album and showing they were capable of such beautiful music as MoS. And having a crappy lead single probably hurt that album's chances of success before it even came out. I think if they'd released those two songs a couple days apart, things could have been better.

Having a couple of strong singles out their with different flavours/appeals (Blackout and The Best Thing) would surely help their chances of success more.

Having a couple of strong singles out their with different flavours/appeals (Blackout and The Best Thing) would surely help their chances of success more.

It could be that one song is geared more towards "pop" radio and the other "rock" and "alternative". I don't know if they can ever penetrate "pop" radio but perhaps that is what they are trying to do.

Either way....I'm starting to get really excited!

So they're using footage from an album revival tour, from a song on another old album, to be used for a video for a song that hasn't even been played yet.

Weird.

And now we have no clue which of them is actually going to be the official lead single.

Back
Top Bottom