SOE 22 - 2018 it is... (it isn't)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So assume the song is about Adams experience with alcohol in Sydney for ZooTV?

Judging from the lyrics, it might actually be a protest song about trump.. can't remember exact lyrics but building a wall was in it, plus a few other things that made me think of Mr America. Wish I could remember, should've written it down!

Huh? I'm confused now. What girl? What stage?

Very interesting that the sign for the video shoot said

"Best thing" on it.

And the girl had a lyric from the best thing on her back...

what the hell is going on?!

The girl that was brought up on stage during MW in Amsterdam was a plant, being used for the filming of the music video for the best thing, the people invited to the video shoot the other day was for the black out, I think I don't know anymore haha

So there are currently 2 singles/videos in question here, Best Thing and Blackout. Footage of the girl from the Amsterdam show will. E used for Best Thing. Very interesting indeed!

So strange to have all this new album stuff happening AND having U2 being in a completely unrelated tour at the same time!

Ok, so I dug a little deeper and it looks like the girl, and the sign were from last nights show. She entered the stadium with cameras with her. There was a sign upon entry saying it was filming for 'Best Thing'. She was Wearing a jacket with a lyric from the Best Thing on her back. She gets called up on stage during MW...

Am I getting this right? And if so, what does it mean? Are they gathering footage for multiple song releases??
So confused. But like that there is a lot of activity.

Maybe U2 is starting to catch up with the times and release more than one song leading up to the album.

Well, they are still used a lot for marketing. Kendrick released yet another video (for his duet with Rihanna) and it's getting a lot of praise and attention.

The point is if you're not a currently trendy artist, you have to try that much harder to make people interested.

Yeah, I'm confused, to say the least. And euphoric has nothing to do with it. A pop song can be euphoric. Or a dance track. Or a country song. Either it's hard, or it's not. BD has a chorus that "kicks in" but it doesn't rock as hard overall as The Miracle. To classify the former as rock and the latter as pop makes no sense whatsoever.

Well put it this way, Beautiful Day is not Every Breaking Wave is it [emoji4]

MW came out right after AB. Could TBT come out right after SOE?Anyone want to place bets on them playing SNL's Christmas episode and doing Blackout and TBT? Just in time for tickets to go on sale for E+I.

Two singles? I must say I'm more intrigued by the descriptions of Blackout than what I've heard of Best Thing.

Hmm this is getting interesting. Remember a few years back when Bono said they would do something never done before with SOE? Something about videos or visuals to go along with every song if I remember correctly.

Hmm this is getting interesting. Remember a few years back when Bono said they would do something never done before with SOE? Something about videos or visuals to go along with every song if I remember correctly.

I think he says this about every album/single though, dunno if it's just hype or if it's anything substantial.

This new wrinkle about the Best Thing is strange to be sure, but certainly interesting. Maybe they are just prepping content for a few singles now.

The girl that was brought up on stage during MW in Amsterdam was a plant, being used for the filming of the music video for the best thing, the people invited to the video shoot the other day was for the black out, I think I don't know anymore haha

The actress also looked a bit like Ali from the back, same colour hair and stuff?

Interesting. I think there are 3 options here:

1) They're going to do a 1-2 punch, release Blackout and not long after The Best Thing. It keeps promotion of SoE constant, and, based on descriptions, allows u2 to have their cake and eat it too - releasing a tune with the raw hard rock sound they wanted, but also releasing a more upbeat, radio-friendly contemporary pop tune.

2) They still haven't decided which song to use as the lead single (the reports from the listening sessions mentioned they hadn't decided yet, and I suspect that those sessions were in part to get advice from industry people on the right choice).

3) They're shooting music videos for the whole album, Beyonce style.

What's the usual amount of time between album announcement and release these days for traditional release? 2-3 months?
I think SOE will be formally announced at the start of September and will include notice that the new single will be released within a few days.

Anyone else think the wording looks like a poorly executed English as a second language hoax? Calling the song "best thing", it just looks way too much like it was printed at home on a bubble jet printer than a professional job. Also - do these disclaimers usually talk about the ability to use a person's likeness throughout the universe?

Anyone else think the wording looks like a poorly executed English as a second language hoax? Calling the song "best thing", it just looks way too much like it was printed at home on a bubble jet printer than a professional job. Also - do these disclaimers usually talk about the ability to use a person's likeness throughout the universe?

But would the girl brought on stage during MW have The Best Thing Lyrics on her shirt... just by coincidence?

Agree with that. Looks like a fan creation. All be it a very strange one!

It seems that the filming on the first Amsterdam show yesterday is not all. Tonight there might be additional filming in the Amsterdam ArenA

Last edited:
Agree with that. Looks like a fan creation. All be it a very strange one!

It's not, there are pictures of the actress going in to the stadium with a film crew etc and multiple reports of how the actress was planted up front just before MW started, it's legit

Also - do these disclaimers usually talk about the ability to use a person's likeness throughout the universe?

Not always... but that phrase does pop up in some contracts and disclaimers.

The actress also looked a bit like Ali from the back, same colour hair and stuff?

I thought so, as well. Probably intentional, since the song is about her.

Re: your last point, yes they do. I've worked on projects where disclaimers/releases have to be signed and the language about "throughout the universe" is common practice.

Well these are certainly very exciting developments in the last couple of days! The blackout descriptions seem awesome (although I have seen the description as a vertigo, zoo station, magnificente, invincible type of song has me a little confused lol) but luckily I love all these songs ESP zoo station so I am excited to hear this song. But I still remain cautious on the descriptions of it being an amazing song. We all know that first listens to a u2 song especially in that environment will make you believe it is their best song ever, until it comes out and you realize, it's not quite their best song lol. But either way fun times are comming ladies and gents!

Ps THANK YOU Ax and RD and GG and all others for giving us these juicy tidbits!!!!

Peace out!

I still think there will be some VR connection with this. The SFS VR experience was cool, but imagine being in the middle of a rocker of a song.

Back
Top Bottom