SOE 21 - It comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
The latest:
- We could be getting a single before July is out, around the launch of next leg of TJT tour (rumor)
- Second single scheduled for the autumn (rumor)
- U2songs reporting album release of December 1 (rumor)
- band have been playing new songs to media folk (fact)
- most U2/Kygo clips have been taken down from youtube (fact)

Dan Smee's cleaned up "Best Thing" beach clip (thanks Dan!)

Likely production team:
Steve Lillywhite
Andy Barlow
Ryan Tedder
Jacknife Lee
Jolyon Thomas (mixing/engineering)

Rumored/mentioned song titles:

- American Soul
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- You're the Best Thing About Me
- The Showman
- Summer of Love
- Get Out of Your Own Way
- Red Flag Day
- Landlady
- Tightrope
- Much More Better
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- The Light
- Love is All We Have Left
- Where the Shadows Fall

Last edited:
With the 5 month gap between the rumoured single and album release, I wonder if maybe we won't get the actual album announcement until the second September single?

It's definitely happened with other bands where they'll release a new song, sometimes saying it's from their new album, but without album title, track list or release date. Coldplay did this with 'Midnight' a few days before announcing Ghost Stories with 'Magic'. I think Radiohead did the same with 'Burn the witch' before AMSP. Longer term, I believe London Grammar released a single with absolutely no album information whatsoever, only announcing the latter after a few weeks. But the single ended up being one of the opening tracks on the album.

Point is, I wouldn't be surprised if we get 'The Best Thing' this July, but don't get album artwork/official release date/track list until September.

that we've been seeing the Kygo/U2 videos come off of YouTube is a pretty good sign. they've been up since last August. Too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence to decide to take them down in mid June.

that we've been seeing the Kygo/U2 videos come off of YouTube is a pretty good sign. they've been up since last August. Too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence to decide to take them down in mid June.

Yep. The signs are there. The only thing stopping the hype train is cold feet, which unfortunately we've all witnessed before.

Things look positive right now though!

Has anyone seen this new Hot Press article yet mentioning progress on the album?

Havent seen it, but apparently that's where the song title American Soul came from. It also mentions that this was the song Kendrick Lamar liked (and maybe was the source of his sample on XXX?)

So will the millionth time be the charm? :wink:

The band have got to be on a high right now with how well the JT30 tour has been going. It's been great both musically and financially. Not only do the fans love it but the boys seem to enjoy playing too.

As the old saying goes, strike while the iron is hot. And it is hot right now!

Adam Clayton says here that the records done it's just a decision on when to put it out

Is it true that you’d finished your latest album, “Songs of Experience,” but decided to rethink it because it didn’t feel right after Trump had been elected?
Yeah, that was certainly our feeling. Once the election had happened we didn’t want to put out a record without having some time to evaluate what was going on and what was behind the outcome. And certainly that wave of change seemed to be moving through Europe as well, so we did say “Let’s reexamine where we are,” and we did reexamine and I think it’s been better for the record and it’s been better for the songwriting and it’s much more on-message of what U2 does and what U2 does well.

[“Songs of Experience”] has been ready to go for awhile, because it didn’t require a lot of surgery, so to speak — it was a little bit of cosmetic surgery. So we said, “We could put this record out this year, or we could celebrate ‘The Joshua Tree’ and put out the [new] record when all that’s done, and then plan a tour around it and all the things that go along with a new album.” The only spoiler is that ‘The Joshua Tree’ tour has been an enormous, runaway success and we just keep adding dates. So the answer to your question is, [“Songs of Experience”] is ready to go, but at this point I’m not sure when it’s going to go because the tour is still up and running.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/variet...xperience-rebooting-democracy-1202471727/amp/

Adam Clayton says here that the records done it's just a decision on when to put it out

Is it true that you’d finished your latest album, “Songs of Experience,” but decided to rethink it because it didn’t feel right after Trump had been elected?
Yeah, that was certainly our feeling. Once the election had happened we didn’t want to put out a record without having some time to evaluate what was going on and what was behind the outcome. And certainly that wave of change seemed to be moving through Europe as well, so we did say “Let’s reexamine where we are,” and we did reexamine and I think it’s been better for the record and it’s been better for the songwriting and it’s much more on-message of what U2 does and what U2 does well.

[“Songs of Experience”] has been ready to go for awhile, because it didn’t require a lot of surgery, so to speak — it was a little bit of cosmetic surgery. So we said, “We could put this record out this year, or we could celebrate ‘The Joshua Tree’ and put out the [new] record when all that’s done, and then plan a tour around it and all the things that go along with a new album.” The only spoiler is that ‘The Joshua Tree’ tour has been an enormous, runaway success and we just keep adding dates. So the answer to your question is, [“Songs of Experience”] is ready to go, but at this point I’m not sure when it’s going to go because the tour is still up and running.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/variet...xperience-rebooting-democracy-1202471727/amp/

One thing to keep in mind with this quote is that you don't want to commit to an album release date too early to where people will skip buying tickets to the Joshua tree tour and wait till the next tour.

After being on the road for TJT this year do you guys think they'll pick up IE early next year? It seems like a lot even for them. If SOE is out in December could you see them go back to arenas in May at the earliest?

Agreed Catman, given their history and propensity for mixing and altering up to the last minute, it would be in the realms of fantasy to believe that they have left TBT completely untouched and unaltered for about a year! In my opinion of course!

Gotta agree here. The one good thing about the crappy beach clip is that you can hear actual real Larry drums on there, and not just an EDM thump. If they did go back and do some more live playing on tunes (like they mentioned), along with other tweaking, it could be quite a bit different than the Kygo mix.

Hook is good, it gets stuck in my head, and yes, after about a week of listening to it, i finally got the lightbulb in my head that the verse does sound like EBTTRT.
I don't think it's a bad choice for a single. I don't expect a hit, but it is the kind of song that is getting play right now. Really looking forward to the studio version.

One thing to keep in mind with this quote is that you don't want to commit to an album release date too early to where people will skip buying tickets to the Joshua tree tour and wait till the next tour.

:up: Was thinking the same thing earlier Mikal. You could end up cannibalising some of the JT tour tickets that are currently on sale, particularly in the States, if you announced SOE too soon, with an arena tour to follow next Spring or something like that.

Until December we will have 30 threads for an album that wasn't released until that day. That's some heavy pre-album talk I have to say

The latest:
- We could be getting a single before July is out, around the launch of next leg of TJT tour (rumor)
- Second single scheduled for the autumn (rumor)
- U2songs reporting album release of December 1 (rumor)
- band have been playing new songs to media folk (fact)
- most U2/Kygo clips have been taken down from youtube (fact)

Dan Smee's cleaned up "Best Thing" beach clip (thanks Dan!)

Likely production team:
Steve Lillywhite
Andy Barlow
Ryan Tedder
Jacknife Lee
Jolyon Thomas (mixing/engineering)

Rumored/mentioned song titles:

- American Soul
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- You're the Best Thing About Me
- The Showman
- Summer of Love
- Get Out of Your Own Way
- Red Flag Day
- Landlady
- Tightrope
- Much More Better
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- The Light
- Love is All We Have Left
- Where the Shadows Fall

Thanks RD.

Here is the Kygo mix for comparison too - I know the vids have all been taken down.

https://clyp.it/3zmtcazh

Which is why I'm not expecting anything until the tour's finished.

Gotta agree here. The one good thing about the crappy beach clip is that you can hear actual real Larry drums on there, and not just an EDM thump. If they did go back and do some more live playing on tunes (like they mentioned), along with other tweaking, it could be quite a bit different than the Kygo mix.

Hook is good, it gets stuck in my head, and yes, after about a week of listening to it, i finally got the lightbulb in my head that the verse does sound like EBTTRT.
I don't think it's a bad choice for a single. I don't expect a hit, but it is the kind of song that is getting play right now. Really looking forward to the studio version.

It isn't the kind of song that is getting airplay right now. I can only speak to the Kygo mix seeing a the beach clips are super short and muddled, and it's seriously dated in modern music terms (around 2010). That's with respect to mainstream top 40 tracks.

As for popular alternative/indie music, it doesn't fit there either (not that I want them to appeal to any sort of trend).

In the end, I just want a good song but the chorus (especially the lyrics) to TBT prevents me from feeling that way. Hopefully the final product is much different.

which will be well before Dec 1st (fingers crossed)

U2.Com; Breaking; U2 Announce More Joshua Tree Tour Dates in US For November And December. Stops Include Jacksonville FL, Portland OR, Biloxi MS, Wheeling WV, Poughkeepsie NY, Topeka KS, Caspar WY, Bismarck ND, Paducah KY, and Butte MT.

Well, can't ask for a much more definitive answer than that from Adam.

It's done.

I didn't realize the Europe shows only start so quickly after the Cleveland show.

I'm not sure U2 would put out a new single for the European leg with just 7 days between shows. Who knows.

I will say this. I'm trying to start some big political argument. I just don't see the 'Miss Sarejevo' portion of the show going over as smoothly in Europe. I could be wrong, its just pretty intense in Europe. 'The Best Thing' could be a great encore opener.

He said that it's done and the only thing holding it up is the Joshua Tree tour. The tour ends in late October. December 1 sounds about right to me.

True and if correct would likely end any hope for some of an Aussi stop over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom