SOE 21 - It comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why I'm not expecting anything until the tour's finished.

I agree, it is very unlikely that we will get SOE before the JT tour (at least in its current state) is over, but we could still get an announcement about new single/SOE well before the Autumn/Fall legs of the tour, so long as all the tickets are already sold (which will likely be in about a couple of weeks, or at least about 90% of them anyways).

Obviously very reassuring news from Adam, and only the most extremist of pessimists can be imagining a delay at this point.

And it does validate much of what a lot of people were imagining. They were closer to being done than I imagine, so my theory of them finishing it between legs was unnecessary. The good news is they can take that time to shoot a video, finalize artwork and photography, etc.

Having said all that, I do think announcing a new album while they're still touring JT is a bit of a distraction, and is slightly insulting to the people who have tickets to see them this year. As if the band's minds will be elsewhere, looking forward, while they just crank out the classics for the remaining dates. Putting out a new single would have a similar effect IMO.

Hard to say. There's only a week break between the NA and Europe legs, and I'm still skeptical of a single that early. But if they do release one during the month-long August break, they can play it every show afterwards, and release the album around November 1st (which is still 10 days after the final JT show) and it doesn't seem like such an odd schedule anymore.

If the second single is supposed to be September, when would that be happening, exactly? They're on tour the whole month, with a 10 days between San Diego and Mexico City near the end. Still seems like a distraction.

True and if correct would likely end any hope for some of an Aussi stop over.

If SOE comes out in December, I would have to think Australia would be first on the list for the SOE tour. I would think the tour would have to look like this;

Aus/NZ/Asia- march April
Europe- summer
US/Canada- fall

It isn't the kind of song that is getting airplay right now. I can only speak to the Kygo mix seeing a the beach clips are super short and muddled, and it's seriously dated in modern music terms (around 2010). That's with respect to mainstream top 40 tracks.

As for popular alternative/indie music, it doesn't fit there either (not that I want them to appeal to any sort of trend).

In the end, I just want a good song but the chorus (especially the lyrics) to TBT prevents me from feeling that way. Hopefully the final product is much different.

Pretty much what is getting airplay from rock bands are pop/rock/alt mix, which i think this fits the bill. About a quarter of the songs on the alternative channel in my city end up getting played on the pop stations.
A ballad of some sort may wind up getting them more play on Adult Contemporary stations, but I think this type of song is a fine fit for AC, and Adult Alternative and may even get a few rock and more straight alternative stations.
They aren't getting onto pop radio at all, end of story. So this type of song gives them more avenues than a straight rock song IMO.

I don't know why the long lead time, or any other aspect of this is confusing anyone. A single to play in Europe released before the leg so Bono can talk about how it's coming ect, then one in September as the tour is winding up with an album announcement. The September to December time frame is very traditional and makes sense, and they want a song out for the next leg so people know it, which is what they should have done with TLTTGYA before the American leg.

Obviously very reassuring news from Adam, and only the most extremist of pessimists can be imagining a delay at this point.

And it does validate much of what a lot of people were imagining. They were closer to being done than I imagine, so my theory of them finishing it between legs was unnecessary. The good news is they can take that time to shoot a video, finalize artwork and photography, etc.

Having said all that, I do think announcing a new album while they're still touring JT is a bit of a distraction, and is slightly insulting to the people who have tickets to see them this year. As if the band's minds will be elsewhere, looking forward, while they just crank out the classics for the remaining dates. Putting out a new single would have a similar effect IMO.

Hard to say. There's only a week break between the NA and Europe legs, and I'm still skeptical of a single that early. But if they do release one during the month-long August break, they can play it every show afterwards, and release the album around November 1st (which is still 10 days after the final JT show) and it doesn't seem like such an odd schedule anymore.

If the second single is supposed to be September, when would that be happening, exactly? They're on tour the whole month, with a 10 days between San Diego and Mexico City near the end. Still seems like a distraction.

New album announcement would be a definite distraction, but I still think it's smart to get the lead singles out there while they can play them to huge audiences. It will lead to more purchases/downloads/streams, etc... and media coverage of them playing a new song at the concert for their upcoming new album.
Hell, even more radio play, as stations might play the newly released single around the tour stop in their city.
Now they just have to stop being stupid and play the new songs in a good slot during the live shows.

I don't know why the long lead time, or any other aspect of this is confusing anyone. A single to play in Europe released before the leg so Bono can talk about how it's coming ect, then one in September as the tour is winding up with an album announcement. The September to December time frame is very traditional and makes sense, and they want a song out for the next leg so people know it, which is what they should have done with TLTTGYA before the American leg.

But the long lead time is the new surprise album drop. Beck put out WOW over a year before his album will come out and another one like 6 or 8 months ahead. The National is about 10 months out and Arcade Fire is way ahead as well.
Not sure if its a great strategy, but might be the best way to pick up a bunch of additional streams/views/downloads before the actual album hits.

I don't know if I'd go that far myself. I'd be surprised if the majority of these people at the shows even know what "Songs of Experience" is at this point, especially if they're not playing the new track at those particular shows. And even then, the reaction might be more of a "Cool. New music from them is coming soon." as opposed to a "HOW DARE THEY!!!!"

New album announcement would be a definite distraction, but I still think it's smart to get the lead singles out there while they can play them to huge audiences. It will lead to more purchases/downloads/streams, etc... and media coverage of them playing a new song at the concert for their upcoming new album.

Hell, even more radio play, as stations might play the newly released single around the tour stop in their city.

Now they just have to stop being stupid and play the new songs in a good slot during the live shows.

I don't think it would be any mistake that a second single would drop in line with the South American part of the leg. They are nuts for U2, and will have a hugely positive reaction. Imagine 80,000 Sil's hearing a live debut of a single released after the show

Adam Clayton says here that the records done it's just a decision on when to put it out

Is it true that you’d finished your latest album, “Songs of Experience,” but decided to rethink it because it didn’t feel right after Trump had been elected?
Yeah, that was certainly our feeling. Once the election had happened we didn’t want to put out a record without having some time to evaluate what was going on and what was behind the outcome. And certainly that wave of change seemed to be moving through Europe as well, so we did say “Let’s reexamine where we are,” and we did reexamine and I think it’s been better for the record and it’s been better for the songwriting and it’s much more on-message of what U2 does and what U2 does well.

[“Songs of Experience”] has been ready to go for awhile, because it didn’t require a lot of surgery, so to speak — it was a little bit of cosmetic surgery. So we said, “We could put this record out this year, or we could celebrate ‘The Joshua Tree’ and put out the [new] record when all that’s done, and then plan a tour around it and all the things that go along with a new album.” The only spoiler is that ‘The Joshua Tree’ tour has been an enormous, runaway success and we just keep adding dates. So the answer to your question is, [“Songs of Experience”] is ready to go, but at this point I’m not sure when it’s going to go because the tour is still up and running.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/variet...xperience-rebooting-democracy-1202471727/amp/

Makes sense together with them dropping LGTGYA from the set and being coy on Kimmel show. I'm sure Australia and New Zealand will get in on the JT30 action, and hopefully one more go-round in Europe.

2018 it is.

Makes sense together with them dropping LGTGYA from the set and being coy on Kimmel show. I'm sure Australia and New Zealand will get in on the JT30 action, and hopefully one more go-round in Europe.

2018 it is.

I posted mine before you added the bit about extending JT30.

What makes you "sure"?

The fact that Bono directly said in an interview that it wasn't coming to Australia?

Or the recent quote from their Australian promoter venting frustration that they aren't coming, and asking fans to 'agitate' to try and get hem here next year?

I posted mine before you added the bit about extending JT30.

What makes you "sure"?

The fact that Bono directly said in an interview that it wasn't coming to Australia?

Or the recent quote from their Australian promoter venting frustration that they aren't coming, and asking fans to 'agitate' to try and get hem here next year?

:applaud:

While I'm leaning towards the album coming out later this year, I don't quite understand why it's unreasonable for someone to expect a 2018 release. I mean, sure, there are signs and rumors hinting at the former, but isn't there also enough evidence from recent years that U2 tend to not follow through on what we expect them to do? ;P

While I'm leaning towards the album coming out later this year, I don't quite understand why it's unreasonable for someone to expect a 2018 release. I mean, sure, there are signs and rumors hinting at the former, but isn't there also enough evidence from recent years that U2 tend to not follow through on what we expect them to do? ;P

There's a difference between being pessimistic and expecting them to "pull a U2" and bail, and trying to use what information we have as a confirmation of that pessimism. Nothing in the information we have points to anything but a good chance of it being this year.

Gotta agree here. The one good thing about the crappy beach clip is that you can hear actual real Larry drums on there, and not just an EDM thump. If they did go back and do some more live playing on tunes (like they mentioned), along with other tweaking, it could be quite a bit different than the Kygo mix.

Hook is good, it gets stuck in my head, and yes, after about a week of listening to it, i finally got the lightbulb in my head that the verse does sound like EBTTRT.
I don't think it's a bad choice for a single. I don't expect a hit, but it is the kind of song that is getting play right now. Really looking forward to the studio version.

Um, we had this clip before the Kyro mix.

I tend to believe the December 1 album release rumors. With the JT tour scheduled to end in October and Adam saying SoE is finished, I'm in the "SoE in 2017" camp.

However, Adam makes it sound like they can't pin down an album release date until they completely shut the door on JT planning. He describes that as an active concern (calling it the "spoiler" as they try to firm up their plans). And the odd date or two, like the one in Phoenix, wouldn't be a factor, as those fill up the schedule but don't lengthen the tour. You'd be talking about the possibility of an additional leg, right? So I guess I can see both sides.

When did this interview take place? It may have taken place around the time they decided to add more US dates, which seemed to happen fairly quickly.

Eh, I'm 50/50 on 2017 vs 2018. I do believe we will get it sometime between December and March, which really isn't that big of a difference, but it puts us into another calendar year and makes it seem longer.

^
Never mind, read the article, appears to have been last week, sometime after the Miami show.

I tend to believe the December 1 album release rumors. With the JT tour scheduled to end in October and Adam saying SoE is finished, I'm in the "SoE in 2017" camp.

However, Adam makes it sound like they can't pin down an album release date until they completely shut the door on JT planning. He describes that as an active concern (calling it the "spoiler" as they try to firm up their plans). And the odd date or two, like the one in Phoenix, wouldn't be a factor, as those fill up the schedule but don't lengthen the tour. You'd be talking about the possibility of an additional leg, right? So I guess I can see both sides.

I agree with you, the band might have finished the album but isn't releasing it until the whole JT tour wraps up.

I fear the temptation of lengthening the tour for the rest of the year will over take releasing the album this year just for the sake of pleasing fans and getting it out early. Too much cash to leave on the table. I do believe the album is done and the rumor of December 1st is their goal. Just don't be heartbroken when they announce more tour dates through December.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about why u2 would choose to release two singles well in advance of an album, one as far as five months ahead, and I think it really boils down to maximizing their album sales number, and SOE's ultimate chart position.

In 2015 Billboard changed their metrics for the top 200 albums chart, to incorporate song streams. As it now stands, if a song is streamed 1500 times, that counts as 1 "album sale"

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...billboard-200-makeover-streams-digital-tracks

For some artists, this had led to releasing bloated albums of 15 to 20 songs, not because this makes for a great record (booooo Drake, boooooo) but because, crudely, more songs means more streams, and most importantly - more revenue.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1391-against-the-extra-long-pop-album/

I don't think u2 care about streaming revenue, but we know they care about relevance, and we know they equate relevance, in part, with having a number 1 album. So for them, releasing a song, and letting it rack up the stream count over several months can only help. Theyre building up the streaming numbers, so that ultimately when SOE is released, it's chart position will be boosted by all these extra streams.

Make sense? Too cynical?

Last edited:
Adam seems pretty definitive that e+i will be in arenas. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for AU/NZ etc, given they seem reluctant to tour here other than in stadiums. Maybe it means a slightly higher probably that JT17 will be extended.
But if they do bring JT here then we will miss out on e+i tour. And therefore miss both i+e and e+i... which would suck, and I can't see them doing that. And would be good to have an arena tour here.

They. Don't. Need. The. Money.

The Rolling Stones don't need the money either. They don't need to be playing stadium shows in 2017, with all band members well above 70. But they just announced a slew of European stadiums. They do it because they are a business, and businesses exist to make money.

Same with U2. This JT Tour has gone from being a sidestep, to being a priority because it's a slam dunk success. Why not strike while the iron is hot, make as much money for the JT 30th Anniversary, THEN release SOE, and Tour for that and make even MORE MONEY!!!!! They certainly didn't add MORE US shows in cities like Indianapolis and Kansas City for any reason other than to make money. Not sure why it's so hard for some people to get.

U2 are artists who are able to make giant piles of money from said art. Sometimes the commerce dictates the art... but they are still artists, nonetheless.

Last edited:
But if they do bring JT here then we will miss out on e+i tour. And therefore miss both i+e and e+i... which would suck, and I can't see them doing that. And would be good to have an arena tour here.
Honestly I'd be happy with whatever, just as long as they're here. It just seems that neither possibility is looking very feasible based on the current album rumours and scheduling. Hope Michael Coppel had a productive chat with them..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom