SOE 21 - It comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SOI is great. SFS serves a great, specific role on the album. The album needs a song like that. Sure, it's sorta corny. It's also hella lovely, and that fits its subject matter perfectly.

Young love = corny + lovely.

If y'all don't like the guitar part and won't consider that it's simplicity is tied to the theme of the song (maybe Edge knows best) then there are plenty of kickass guitar parts being recorded and released by people every Friday. I suggest checking out Kvelertak, Mastodon, and especially Astronoid for some super tasty licks.

Young love = corny + lovely.

Nauseating and tedious, you mean.

Which, I suppose, Song for Someone captures.

If y'all don't like the guitar part and won't consider that it's simplicity is tied to the theme of the song (maybe Edge knows best) then there are plenty of kickass guitar parts being recorded and released by people every Friday. I suggest checking out Kvelertak, Mastodon, and especially Astronoid for some super tasty licks.

Astronoid. :up:

Hell, they even called a song "Up and Atom". What's not to love.

Up and at them!!

Hell, they even called a song "Up and Atom". What's not to love.

a3b13628ab74aa18023b32a9485d3550a6edb40f.gif

Yeah I have no issue with SFS. Always thought it was odd how poorly it was received here.

It's a bit trite and sappy, and therefore uncool, so no one will admit to liking it, lest they be uncool. I have no issues with it - can be a lot of fun to sing loudly in the car.

^^^I think 'Reach' is one of the best on the album.

Still think it should have opened the 2nd night of the IE Tour vs playing Miracle both nights.

You are absolutely right. TIWYCRMN was the perfect song to open the I+E tour. From the opening line " Soldier Soldier " onwards the audience would be so involved. But..... alas !!!

the Graham Norton performance of SFS is great and helped me learn to appreciate the song. I dont care for its production on the album though.. glossy poo. Sounds like it'd fit in on a Daughtry record

This just in: Lead Singer of the Band U2, Over the Top Vocals

Next up: The Edge is Bald

Touche. But SFS takes it to previously unheard of (literally) levels.

TIWYCRMK is a fine example of a vocal delivery that much better suits Bono these days. I like that song a lot. In fact the last 4 songs on SOI are brilliant. The rest is largely meh.

There I said something nice.

It's a bit trite and sappy, and therefore uncool, so no one will admit to liking it, lest they be uncool. I have no issues with it - can be a lot of fun to sing loudly in the car.

Remind me not to go on a road trip with you.

I'm pretty meh about sfs myself, but it's interesting; I was showing my gf the video, just to show her the technology, knowing she can't stand U2, and she said, "no let the song finish I actually like this one".

What are you gonna do :shrug:

:shrug: all melodies like that are fun. The words are irrelevant

The song is so inconsequential to me, my strongest memory of it has nothing to do with the melody, but the reaction the first time I tweeted it on U2gigs as "Bong for Someone".

I don't think it helped that SFS was a single. If it was just an ordinary album track I don't think it would get as much grief. White as Snow doesn't get jumped on nearly half as much!

I was going to type "I love White As Snow", but then I realized that I haven't listened to it in years.
:hmm:

White As Snow, based on my last listen some years ago, is a decent track.

I have no desire to put on NLOTH to check.

I like the album version of SFS. Sure, it's sappy and some lines are cringey but it's a good song and it builds nicely. The live version is like something Celine Dion would do and I don't buy Bono's PASSION in it for a second. He just sounds like he's trying to show off.

I still hope they never make another song like it though, despite enjoying the album version.

if Bono met Bob Weir then they can totally make albums with 13 minute long songs with myxolydian-laden solos and weirdly freely moving bass lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom