SOE 21 - It comes down to this... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:18 AM
While I'm leaning towards the album coming out later this year, I don't quite understand why it's unreasonable for someone to expect a 2018 release. I mean, sure, there are signs and rumors hinting at the former, but isn't there also enough evidence from recent years that U2 tend to not follow through on what we expect them to do? ;P

Old 06-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
While I'm leaning towards the album coming out later this year, I don't quite understand why it's unreasonable for someone to expect a 2018 release. I mean, sure, there are signs and rumors hinting at the former, but isn't there also enough evidence from recent years that U2 tend to not follow through on what we expect them to do? ;P

There's a difference between being pessimistic and expecting them to "pull a U2" and bail, and trying to use what information we have as a confirmation of that pessimism. Nothing in the information we have points to anything but a good chance of it being this year.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:18 AM
They also haven't delayed an album before after explicitly telling a member of the press on record that its finished.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Gotta agree here. The one good thing about the crappy beach clip is that you can hear actual real Larry drums on there, and not just an EDM thump. If they did go back and do some more live playing on tunes (like they mentioned), along with other tweaking, it could be quite a bit different than the Kygo mix.

Hook is good, it gets stuck in my head, and yes, after about a week of listening to it, i finally got the lightbulb in my head that the verse does sound like EBTTRT.
I don't think it's a bad choice for a single. I don't expect a hit, but it is the kind of song that is getting play right now. Really looking forward to the studio version.

Um, we had this clip before the Kyro mix.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #50
The Fly

I tend to believe the December 1 album release rumors. With the JT tour scheduled to end in October and Adam saying SoE is finished, I'm in the "SoE in 2017" camp.

However, Adam makes it sound like they can't pin down an album release date until they completely shut the door on JT planning. He describes that as an active concern (calling it the "spoiler" as they try to firm up their plans). And the odd date or two, like the one in Phoenix, wouldn't be a factor, as those fill up the schedule but don't lengthen the tour. You'd be talking about the possibility of an additional leg, right? So I guess I can see both sides.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:18 PM
SOE 21 - It comes down to this...

When did this interview take place? It may have taken place around the time they decided to add more US dates, which seemed to happen fairly quickly.

Eh, I'm 50/50 on 2017 vs 2018. I do believe we will get it sometime between December and March, which really isn't that big of a difference, but it puts us into another calendar year and makes it seem longer.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^
Never mind, read the article, appears to have been last week, sometime after the Miami show.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #53
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside View Post
I tend to believe the December 1 album release rumors. With the JT tour scheduled to end in October and Adam saying SoE is finished, I'm in the "SoE in 2017" camp.

However, Adam makes it sound like they can't pin down an album release date until they completely shut the door on JT planning. He describes that as an active concern (calling it the "spoiler" as they try to firm up their plans). And the odd date or two, like the one in Phoenix, wouldn't be a factor, as those fill up the schedule but don't lengthen the tour. You'd be talking about the possibility of an additional leg, right? So I guess I can see both sides.
I agree with you, the band might have finished the album but isn't releasing it until the whole JT tour wraps up.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #54
Refugee

I fear the temptation of lengthening the tour for the rest of the year will over take releasing the album this year just for the sake of pleasing fans and getting it out early. Too much cash to leave on the table. I do believe the album is done and the rumor of December 1st is their goal. Just don't be heartbroken when they announce more tour dates through December.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

They. Don't. Need. The. Money.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:18 AM
I've been thinking about why u2 would choose to release two singles well in advance of an album, one as far as five months ahead, and I think it really boils down to maximizing their album sales number, and SOE's ultimate chart position.

In 2015 Billboard changed their metrics for the top 200 albums chart, to incorporate song streams. As it now stands, if a song is streamed 1500 times, that counts as 1 "album sale"

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...digital-tracks

For some artists, this had led to releasing bloated albums of 15 to 20 songs, not because this makes for a great record (booooo Drake, boooooo) but because, crudely, more songs means more streams, and most importantly - more revenue.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1391-a...ong-pop-album/

I don't think u2 care about streaming revenue, but we know they care about relevance, and we know they equate relevance, in part, with having a number 1 album. So for them, releasing a song, and letting it rack up the stream count over several months can only help. Theyre building up the streaming numbers, so that ultimately when SOE is released, it's chart position will be boosted by all these extra streams.

Make sense? Too cynical?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #57
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
Adam seems pretty definitive that e+i will be in arenas. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for AU/NZ etc, given they seem reluctant to tour here other than in stadiums. Maybe it means a slightly higher probably that JT17 will be extended.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #58
Refugee

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
Adam seems pretty definitive that e+i will be in arenas. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for AU/NZ etc, given they seem reluctant to tour here other than in stadiums. Maybe it means a slightly higher probably that JT17 will be extended.
But if they do bring JT here then we will miss out on e+i tour. And therefore miss both i+e and e+i... which would suck, and I can't see them doing that. And would be good to have an arena tour here.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
They. Don't. Need. The. Money.

The Rolling Stones don't need the money either. They don't need to be playing stadium shows in 2017, with all band members well above 70. But they just announced a slew of European stadiums. They do it because they are a business, and businesses exist to make money.

Same with U2. This JT Tour has gone from being a sidestep, to being a priority because it's a slam dunk success. Why not strike while the iron is hot, make as much money for the JT 30th Anniversary, THEN release SOE, and Tour for that and make even MORE MONEY!!!!! They certainly didn't add MORE US shows in cities like Indianapolis and Kansas City for any reason other than to make money. Not sure why it's so hard for some people to get.

U2 are artists who are able to make giant piles of money from said art. Sometimes the commerce dictates the art... but they are still artists, nonetheless.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #60
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedVT View Post
But if they do bring JT here then we will miss out on e+i tour. And therefore miss both i+e and e+i... which would suck, and I can't see them doing that. And would be good to have an arena tour here.
Honestly I'd be happy with whatever, just as long as they're here. It just seems that neither possibility is looking very feasible based on the current album rumours and scheduling. Hope Michael Coppel had a productive chat with them..