SOE 21 - It comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SOI is my least favorite 2000s album. Every Breaking Wave and Cedarwood Road are amazing, and RBW was great live, but other than that I haven't gone back to it. I haven't listened to California, Iris, Volcano, Sleep, or Reach in probably six months. So I have to believe I'll like SOE more. I really like what we've heard of TBT and Little Things, so I'm very optimistic.

Yeah, this still doesn't rule out a November leg in Australia.

The only issue would be that people would have just spent a lot of money on McCartney tickets and it might dent sales for U2 a bit, especially since folks would need to buy those U2 tickets sooner.

On the other hand, now that I think about it, this might explain why a JT30 November leg hasn't been announced yet. There may have been contract-signing reasons that forced the promoters and venues to announce the McCartney gigs first, so U2 have to wait until his have gone on sale. First-signed first-sold or something like that.

On the other other hand, maybe McCartney was trying to decide whether to tour Australia or not, and 4 little birdies told him that U2 would not be touring Autralia, so he decided to jump at the opportunity.
Or maybe it's because, like Bono said, there won't be an Australian/New Zealand JT30 leg.

Count me among those who skip Iris.. by no means do I hate the song. In fact, I really like the verses..but the chorus falls flat to my ears..

I love Boots. :wink:

to each their own, right?

anyone taken a stab at the Best Thing lyrics? atu2 has a version but there are some bits that dont seem right...

When you look so good
The pain in your face doesn’t show
When you look so good
Baby, you don’t even know

Well the world is ours
And every door smells of fresh paint
When the ?
Says it’s friction that makes you a saint

When we've seen enough (?)
To know it’s children that can teach
When you’re free enough
To wake up on a bed of beach

You’re the best thing about me
The best thing that ever happened to a boy
I’m the kind of trouble that you enjoy

The best things are easy to destroy
Why am I walking away
Why am I walking away

I’ll be crying out
How bad can a good boy be
Shooting off my mouth
That’s another great thing about me

I got everything
But I feel like nothing at all
There’s no risky thing
For a man who’s determined to fall

Saved me from myself

I’m honestly in love with the way you dance
I’m honestly in love with you

The best thing
The best thing

also, someone over at atu2 says Dallas was asked about whether SOE would sound like the raw rocking sound we hear in the fender clip, and he says there are a couple songs like that but that there are many "heartfelt songs"

anyone taken a stab at the Best Thing lyrics? atu2 has a version but there are some bits that dont seem right...

When you look so good
When you look so good

Well the world is ours
When the ?

When you’re free enough

Why am I walking away
Why am I walking away

I’ll be crying out
Shooting off my mouth

I got everything
There’s no risky thing

Saved me from myself

The best thing
The best thing
I kind of thought I heard "when the golden book says it's scripture that makes you a saint". Not long till we find out!

When you look so good
When you look so good

Well the world is ours
When the ?

When you’re free enough

Why am I walking away
Why am I walking away

I’ll be crying out
Shooting off my mouth

I got everything
There’s no risky thing

Saved me from myself

The best thing
The best thing

When the girl involved says it's friction that makes you a saint ...

When you're free enough to wake up on a bed or a beach ...

I've been finding out (or maybe: trying out?) how bad can a good boy be ...

I've had a listen recently as well. The album is boring and just leaves me disinterested. I'm hoping SOE is a little more experimental.

It is definitely amongst their blandest work for me. It feels very lifeless, despite the personal lyrics which I do actually like . Musically its just so sterile and not U2 at all for me. I didn't mind RBW CWR and Iris live. And I liked the TCB on record, fell a bit flat live.

Last edited:
It is definitely amongst their blandest work for me. It feels very lifeless, despite the personal lyrics which I do actually like . Musically its just so sterile and not U2 at all for me. I didn't mind RBW CWR and Iris live. And I liked the TCB on record, fell a bit flat live.
That'll happen when you play it twice and then give up...

Songs of Innocence to me is the second straight album where they set off with a particular vibe in mind, got scared at the last second, and tried to reel it back in.

I think the fear wasn't over the album, though... I think the fear came when they tried to play Danger Mouse's production live.

Probably why they wanted to go back and rerecord this album after playing back the arrangements live.

I like SOI, but I just wish we could have heard the full on DM product.

I actually liked SOI a lot when it came out; considering there were all kinds of weird rumors about dance albums and changing producers made me think that new album would've been a directionless mess. but instead, it had consistent atmosphere

Songs of Innocence to me is the second straight album where they set off with a particular vibe in mind, got scared at the last second, and tried to reel it back in.

I think the fear wasn't over the album, though... I think the fear came when they tried to play Danger Mouse's production live.

Probably why they wanted to go back and rerecord this album after playing back the arrangements live.

Yep - really hoping for something cohesive

Mind you, HTDAAB is pretty cohesive sonically, save for the jarring Vertigo > Miracle Drug transition. Otherwise just a little uneven

So, fingers crossed for a cohesive and consistent SOE

You will hear the DM version....in 2034 when they auto download the SOI 20th anniversary mega deluxe album to your phone.

Well, I have just been listening to the new Imagine Dragons album Evolve. Very refreshing and uses synths and keyboard on many songs on the album. I am a sucker for synths and keyboard so am hoping SOE will have them on it.

I actually liked SOI a lot when it came out; considering there were all kinds of weird rumors about dance albums and changing producers made me think that new album would've been a directionless mess. but instead, it had consistent atmosphere

Dance album? I don't remember that one, but it seems like every album since post RH someone somewhere has this ridiculous fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom