SOE 21 - It comes down to this... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 09:42 PM
After being on the road for TJT this year do you guys think they'll pick up IE early next year? It seems like a lot even for them. If SOE is out in December could you see them go back to arenas in May at the earliest?

Old 06-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macawaca View Post
Agreed Catman, given their history and propensity for mixing and altering up to the last minute, it would be in the realms of fantasy to believe that they have left TBT completely untouched and unaltered for about a year! In my opinion of course!
Gotta agree here. The one good thing about the crappy beach clip is that you can hear actual real Larry drums on there, and not just an EDM thump. If they did go back and do some more live playing on tunes (like they mentioned), along with other tweaking, it could be quite a bit different than the Kygo mix.

Hook is good, it gets stuck in my head, and yes, after about a week of listening to it, i finally got the lightbulb in my head that the verse does sound like EBTTRT.
I don't think it's a bad choice for a single. I don't expect a hit, but it is the kind of song that is getting play right now. Really looking forward to the studio version.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #18
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
One thing to keep in mind with this quote is that you don't want to commit to an album release date too early to where people will skip buying tickets to the Joshua tree tour and wait till the next tour.
Was thinking the same thing earlier Mikal. You could end up cannibalising some of the JT tour tickets that are currently on sale, particularly in the States, if you announced SOE too soon, with an arena tour to follow next Spring or something like that.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Until December we will have 30 threads for an album that wasn't released until that day. That's some heavy pre-album talk I have to say
Old 06-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
The latest:
- We could be getting a single before July is out, around the launch of next leg of TJT tour (rumor)
- Second single scheduled for the autumn (rumor)
- U2songs reporting album release of December 1 (rumor)
- band have been playing new songs to media folk (fact)
- most U2/Kygo clips have been taken down from youtube (fact)

Dan Smee's cleaned up "Best Thing" beach clip (thanks Dan!)

Likely production team:
Steve Lillywhite
Andy Barlow
Ryan Tedder
Jacknife Lee
Jolyon Thomas (mixing/engineering)

Rumored/mentioned song titles:

- American Soul
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- You're the Best Thing About Me
- The Showman
- Summer of Love
- Get Out of Your Own Way
- Red Flag Day
- Landlady
- Tightrope
- Much More Better
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- The Light
- Love is All We Have Left
- Where the Shadows Fall

Thanks RD.

Here is the Kygo mix for comparison too - I know the vids have all been taken down.

https://clyp.it/3zmtcazh
Old 06-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
Adam Clayton says here that the records done it's just a decision on when to put it out

Is it true that you’d finished your latest album, “Songs of Experience,” but decided to rethink it because it didn’t feel right after Trump had been elected?
Yeah, that was certainly our feeling. Once the election had happened we didn’t want to put out a record without having some time to evaluate what was going on and what was behind the outcome. And certainly that wave of change seemed to be moving through Europe as well, so we did say “Let’s reexamine where we are,” and we did reexamine and I think it’s been better for the record and it’s been better for the songwriting and it’s much more on-message of what U2 does and what U2 does well.

[“Songs of Experience”] has been ready to go for awhile, because it didn’t require a lot of surgery, so to speak — it was a little bit of cosmetic surgery. So we said, “We could put this record out this year, or we could celebrate ‘The Joshua Tree’ and put out the [new] record when all that’s done, and then plan a tour around it and all the things that go along with a new album.” The only spoiler is that ‘The Joshua Tree’ tour has been an enormous, runaway success and we just keep adding dates. So the answer to your question is, [“Songs of Experience”] is ready to go, but at this point I’m not sure when it’s going to go because the tour is still up and running.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/variety...202471727/amp/
Which is why I'm not expecting anything until the tour's finished.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
Which is why I'm not expecting anything until the tour's finished.
which will be well before Dec 1st (fingers crossed)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Gotta agree here. The one good thing about the crappy beach clip is that you can hear actual real Larry drums on there, and not just an EDM thump. If they did go back and do some more live playing on tunes (like they mentioned), along with other tweaking, it could be quite a bit different than the Kygo mix.

Hook is good, it gets stuck in my head, and yes, after about a week of listening to it, i finally got the lightbulb in my head that the verse does sound like EBTTRT.
I don't think it's a bad choice for a single. I don't expect a hit, but it is the kind of song that is getting play right now. Really looking forward to the studio version.
It isn't the kind of song that is getting airplay right now. I can only speak to the Kygo mix seeing a the beach clips are super short and muddled, and it's seriously dated in modern music terms (around 2010). That's with respect to mainstream top 40 tracks.

As for popular alternative/indie music, it doesn't fit there either (not that I want them to appeal to any sort of trend).

In the end, I just want a good song but the chorus (especially the lyrics) to TBT prevents me from feeling that way. Hopefully the final product is much different.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That quote from Adam doesn't scream December does it?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMansAman View Post
which will be well before Dec 1st (fingers crossed)
U2.Com; Breaking; U2 Announce More Joshua Tree Tour Dates in US For November And December. Stops Include Jacksonville FL, Portland OR, Biloxi MS, Wheeling WV, Poughkeepsie NY, Topeka KS, Caspar WY, Bismarck ND, Paducah KY, and Butte MT.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, can't ask for a much more definitive answer than that from Adam.

It's done.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
It screams typical U2 of not giving away a release date before it's officially announced.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:42 PM
I didn't realize the Europe shows only start so quickly after the Cleveland show.

I'm not sure U2 would put out a new single for the European leg with just 7 days between shows. Who knows.

I will say this. I'm trying to start some big political argument. I just don't see the 'Miss Sarejevo' portion of the show going over as smoothly in Europe. I could be wrong, its just pretty intense in Europe. 'The Best Thing' could be a great encore opener.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #29
The Fly

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
He said that it's done and the only thing holding it up is the Joshua Tree tour. The tour ends in late October. December 1 sounds about right to me.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #30
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside View Post
He said that it's done and the only thing holding it up is the Joshua Tree tour. The tour ends in late October. December 1 sounds about right to me.

True and if correct would likely end any hope for some of an Aussi stop over.