SOE 21 - It comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/0703/887471-bono-the-chainsmokers/

So it looks like the Chainsmokers worked with U2 at some point recently. They say they have no idea if the stuff will be used, so they probably haven't had the biggest influence, but it's still interesting.

Quite a curveball when compared to Thomas, Barlow & Lillywhite, and the reports of the new tunes sounding like guitar heavy rockers. Maybe they just remixed a tune - or, I can imagine them having a little bit of presence on a song like "The Best Thing', sort of like Will.I.Am doing synths on 'Magnificent', despite it being produced by Eno, Lanois, & Lillywhite.

In this article the best quote from the Chainsmokers is "I know that they work with so many different people on their records and I think that's what makes them so timeless." :doh:

What's the lesser of two evils? Dad rock mode or relevance deprivation syndrome? They should just be themselves and release whatever they want. If it comes across as being dad rock (whatever that is) then who cares. Not sure why it's that hard for them.

Why do you assume them striving for relevance is not them just being themselves and doing what they want?

In this article the best quote from the Chainsmokers is "I know that they work with so many different people on their records and I think that's what makes them so timeless." :doh:

it's actually not that bad compared to a lot of hip hop records these days. I mean, look at DAMN

With this news, Pitchfork just dropped their predetermined SOE rating from 2.7 to 2.6.

folks, we've known Chainsmokers have worked in some capacity with U2 for nearly a year now.

I doubt U2 are going to release an EDM-lite pop tune with them. Worth re-reading what they actually say:

"I don't know if he'll use the stuff we've worked on together but we've been in the studio working on some stuff with them,"

and

[in reference to working with Bono]: "We've got in the studio with him for some stuff that he's working on, just to lend our opinions. "

that's all.. chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

folks, we've known Chainsmokers have worked in some capacity with U2 for nearly a year now.

I doubt U2 are going to release an EDM-lite pop tune with them. Worth re-reading what they actually say:

"I don't know if he'll use the stuff we've worked on together but we've been in the studio working on some stuff with them,"

and

[in reference to working with Bono]: "We've got in the studio with him for some stuff that he's working on, just to lend our opinions. "

that's all.. chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

It sounds a little similar to the 'advisor' role Ryan Tedder seems to have this time round. There are so many reports of this being a heavy, rocking album, I'm not sure how producers like this fit in. Perhaps there are one or two songs (like TBT) that aren't rock-based and are more commercial/'hip', or maybe they're helping to craft an overall more accessible rock sound? I'm thinking if Royal Blood became more commercial.

They should just be themselves and release whatever they I want.

Fixed that. ;)

If it comes across as being dad rock (whatever that is) then who cares. Not sure why it's that hard for them.

Jokes aside, they're going to end up releasing whatever "they" want ultimately. It's just a matter of whether we're individually going to like the end result or not. If it comes across as "dad rock" or something guitar-based, people are going to whine about Elevation/Vertigo/GOYB/Miracle and say it's not "experimental"-enough. If it's "experimental" (whatever that means) or ambient stuff, then some people will ask where the actual songs are. It'll be no-win among some of the online fans, no matter what.

Now, this Chainsmokers deal... they didn't go all-out R&B with will.i.am when he supposedly came in for the NLOTH sessions, so I'm not holding my breath on anything yet. Could be a remix. Could be a keyboard part. Who knows? That interview made them sound like they're still not familiar with the band on a huge personal level just yet, so that makes me think they might not have been in the room with them at times for very long.

Maybe I already made this list and posted it somewhere. I can't remember, sorry if I'm redundant. Here's what a 2018 North America leg COULD look like, taking into account cities that got Joshua Tree shows, and depending on IF they're willing to play single nights in arenas at this point.

Portland- possibly 2 shows if no shows in Seattle?
Salt Lake City
Sacramento- Brand new arena that I'm sure they're going to try to get U2 into. Possibly 2 shows if no San Francisco area show
San Jose
LA- 3 shows
Las Vegas- 2
San Antonio / Austin
Dallas
Oklahoma City / Tulsa
Omaha / Des Moines
Milwaukee
Chicago- 2
Columbus- Still clinging to the hope that they make good on the leaked I&E date for October 2017 that never was. Hoping I can see U2 45 minutes from my house
Philadelphia- 2
NYC- 4
Boston- 2
Detroit- 1 (brand new arena)
Hartford / Albany
Washington D.C. / Baltimore- 2
Raleigh / Charlotte (Raleigh was considered for a JT show, but the bathroom law supposedly prevented it. We'll see if that changes. If not, no NC show)
Atlanta- 2
Miami
Orlando or Jacksonville? They have suitable arenas.
Little Rock / Memphis- Again, suitable arenas, but is demand suitable?

Edmonton- 2 (new arena)
Winnipeg- 2
Toronto- 2
Quebec City- 2 (new arena in a city U2 have never played)
Ottawa- maybe 1, just because of Bono's relationship with the Prime Minister?

Obviously not all of these will happen, but they might. We also don't know how popular SOE will be. If hell freezes over and they have another BD/Vertigo type hit, all bets are off. But what I've written here could become a 35 show leg, which is similar to the I&E North America leg in 2015. We'll just have to see, I just hope Columbus gets a damned show!
That's WAY too many cities. They're not found that anymore. Not many bands are, certainly not bands as big and old as U2.

Multiple dates in the biggest markets, and a handful of one offs in secondary markets. That's your E/I tour.

This is the only scenario that makes sense:

Bono: Hey Chainsmokers, is this song good?
Chainsmokers: Yeah, it's great.
Bono deletes all mixes and the multitrack. The song is never heard from again.

This is the only scenario that makes sense:

Bono: Hey Chainsmokers, is this song good?
Chainsmokers: Yeah, it's great.
Bono deletes all mixes and the multitrack. The song is never heard from again.

The only acceptable alternative is that The Chainsmokers say it's rubbish and needs serious improvement, so the band decide the song is perfect just the way it is.

I don't like this trend of more alt-rock artists working with pop producer thing that's apparently trending now. I know Thurston Moore recently worked with Paul Epworth, St. Vincent is (or was, assuming that her album is done) apparently working with Jack Antonoff, etc. But i never liked these projects, somehow, tho these producers themselves aren't that bad. hey, even Ryan Tedder has some good songs in his discography, you know? but I never feel like these combination works.

I don't like this trend of more alt-rock artists working with pop producer thing that's apparently trending now. I know Thurston Moore recently worked with Paul Epworth, St. Vincent is (or was, assuming that her album is done) apparently working with Jack Antonoff, etc. But i never liked these projects, somehow, tho these producers themselves aren't that bad. hey, even Ryan Tedder has some good songs in his discography, you know? but I never feel like these combination works.

I know Foo Fighters working with Greg Kurstin (Sia, Adele, Pink) is another one that raised a few eyebrows among some people.

In terms of the concept itself... I don't know. I still remember back when Danger Mouse was announced as a producer for this band's album and some fans were heavily skeptical, considering his "different" background and all. Then they heard what he did and found out he loved "Pop" and suddenly he had the hipster cred here. :lol: Overall, I guess I'm open to these things. If it were the bands working with their old producers again, then people would be saying how they never do "anything new" or how the stuff will sound the same, and so on. This at least gives it a chance to be different with some new-ish people putting in their two cents.

That's WAY too many cities. They're not found that anymore. Not many bands are, certainly not bands as big and old as U2.

Multiple dates in the biggest markets, and a handful of one offs in secondary markets. That's your E/I tour.

That's why I said not all of those dates would happen. I was saying they COULD happen, as in those are the cities in which demand exists, and have suitable arenas.

I actually don't like Danger Mouse as a producer because he tends to kill artists' energy and things. I know it's sleek and modern sounding but bands like Black Keys and RHCP sounded so neutered when DM produced them.

I actually don't like Danger Mouse as a producer because he tends to kill artists' energy and things. I know it's sleek and modern sounding but bands like Black Keys and RHCP sounded so neutered when DM produced them.

he captures a fantastic drum sound tho. Honestly, I dont know if Larry has sounded better than on Ordinary Love. :drool:

Most of those cities are markets were hit on the 360 tour. The Innocence And Experience Tour did not represent some new form of touring. This band will still travel to any of those places. The logistics of doing a show in Sacramento are tiny compared to doing a show in Columbia, Brazil etc. The band would easily play any of those cities. Their current age has not changed that at all. If a band is willing to play Louisville Kentucky, they will play Portland Oregon and might even give Arkansas a try.

Most of those cities are markets were hit on the 360 tour. The Innocence And Experience Tour did not represent some new form of touring. This band will still travel to any of those places. The logistics of doing a show in Sacramento are tiny compared to doing a show in Columbia, Brazil etc. The band would easily play any of those cities. Their current age has not changed that at all. If a band is willing to play Louisville Kentucky, they will play Portland Oregon and might even give Arkansas a try.

No.

You're not even close.

Louisville is 30th in the US, population wise. Little Rock is 75th.

Stadiums allow the band to play a smaller number of shows to greater audiences, thus less travel overall. Arenas require more shows, so they'll play arena dates in fewer cities to cut down on the travel.

This is what this band will do from here on out. If you think they're playing Little Rock you're crazy.

No.

You're not even close.

Louisville is 30th in the US, population wise. Little Rock is 75th.

Stadiums allow the band to play a smaller number of shows to greater audiences, thus less travel overall. Arenas require more shows, so they'll play arena dates in fewer cities to cut down on the travel.

This is what this band will do from here on out. If you think they're playing Little Rock you're crazy.

The band has already mentioned that they want to make up for the small number of cities played in the United States on the Innocence and Experience Tour when they head out on the new Experience and Innocence Tour.

If someone had said they would play Louisville Kentucky, you would have said they were crazy as well. Same with Norman Oklahoma . But they played those places. Your never too old to play smaller more out of the way places.

Its going to be fun watching you claim what the band can't or won't do because of their "age", and then seeing them do just that.

Have you heard the Thurston Moore album? I love it - it's sprawling and very, very SY with metal breakdowns taking the place of Lee freakouts.

The band has already mentioned that they want to make up for the small number of cities played in the United States on the Innocence and Experience Tour when they head out on the new Experience and Innocence Tour.

If someone had said they would play Louisville Kentucky, you would have said they were crazy as well. Same with Norman Oklahoma . But they played those places. Your never too old to play smaller more out of the way places.

Its going to be fun watching you claim what the band can't or won't do because of their "age", and then seeing them do just that.
Cool story bro

so i wouldn't get bent out of shape over this Chainsmokers thing.

Let's also not forget DJ Khaled said that he's working on something big or something along those lines with U2 last year, and of course, we saw Kygo play a Best Thing remix.

I think the bonus disc will be remixed tracks by current DJs rather than the acoustic bonus disc last time with SOI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom