SOE 21 - It comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who thinks this isn't happening is a fool. Anyone who doesn't accept that U2 change their minds is a bigger fool.

Yeah, this is really it here.

As things stand right now, it's obvious that U2's intention is to release the album this year, and when you stack the rumors and sources on top of that, December 1st is most likely the album release date and we'll get singles before that, possibly in July already.

But of course us who are saying "yeah it's happening" understand 100% that the band could completely chicken out for whatever reason.

But as it stands right now from what we know, the album is coming out this year.

u2songs | The Crystal Ball: What the Future Holds |

"Alan Cross also reported on a gathering in Toronto for radio people prior to the U2 show:

There was a quiet private gathering of radio people ahead of Friday’s U2 show at the Rogers Centre in Toronto. Bono, the Edge and Adam each dropped in on their own to do some schmoozing and to answer some questions. As usual, they were fun, affable and extremely polite–not to mention very complimentary about all things Canadian.
This is one in a series of listening events we have heard about happening at various locations across North America in recent weeks. We’ve been told that The Edge and Adam Clayton were present at one of these radio sessions in Philadelphia, and that Bono was present at a similar session in another location. For those early events we are told they were previewing tracks from Songs of Experience for label executives and radio personalities. We are told they played five to six songs in the earlier sessions, and in Toronto they may have played as many as eight songs from the new album. Sounds to us like the new album is done, and knowing how fast things can change in the USA after the delays due to the election, U2 may push through to get this album out soon after this current tour ends."

Unfortunately, the July single may have been pushed back to September:

"We have, however, received a conflicting report that the July single may have been pushed back to September instead. We will continue to update as we have more information."

There were rumours of singles in July and Sept, maybe this conflicting report has heard about one in sept and assumed it was he first?

I'd love to know what these radio peeps have to say about the new songs. Anyone know who may have heard them and may be on the twittersphere for questioning?

I'll keep quiet about my 2018 beliefs for now, apparently that makes me seem like a fool. None of this evidence seems concrete to me. I'm not trying to be a dick and stir the pot. I WANT a 2017 release as much as I wanted a 2016 release.

I'll believe an album is coming when it's announced. I've been through this with this band for a long time. Things have seemed closer than this before and didn't pan out.

I'd believe it all if they weren't in the middle of a major stadium tour.

Great reporting from u2songs.com as always, things sounding promising. :up:

In theory when they return to the US this Fall to US to complete JT tour they could also add a few more songs from SOE to the set list as a promo tour.

I'll keep quiet about my 2018 beliefs for now, apparently that makes me seem like a fool. None of this evidence seems concrete to me. I'm not trying to be a dick and stir the pot. I WANT a 2017 release as much as I wanted a 2016 release.

I'll believe an album is coming when it's announced. I've been through this with this band for a long time. Things have seemed closer than this before and didn't pan out.

I'd believe it all if they weren't in the middle of a major stadium tour.

Except you're not keeping quiet about it :lol:

u2songs | The Crystal Ball: What the Future Holds |

"Alan Cross also reported on a gathering in Toronto for radio people prior to the U2 show:

There was a quiet private gathering of radio people ahead of Friday’s U2 show at the Rogers Centre in Toronto. Bono, the Edge and Adam each dropped in on their own to do some schmoozing and to answer some questions. As usual, they were fun, affable and extremely polite–not to mention very complimentary about all things Canadian.
This is one in a series of listening events we have heard about happening at various locations across North America in recent weeks. We’ve been told that The Edge and Adam Clayton were present at one of these radio sessions in Philadelphia, and that Bono was present at a similar session in another location. For those early events we are told they were previewing tracks from Songs of Experience for label executives and radio personalities. We are told they played five to six songs in the earlier sessions, and in Toronto they may have played as many as eight songs from the new album. Sounds to us like the new album is done, and knowing how fast things can change in the USA after the delays due to the election, U2 may push through to get this album out soon after this current tour ends."

Unfortunately, the July single may have been pushed back to September:

"We have, however, received a conflicting report that the July single may have been pushed back to September instead. We will continue to update as we have more information."

If they are now playing half of the new album to various people in the industry, it is a good sign that they are more confident in SOE as a whole being finished or ready for release. All we need now is a summer rooftop listening party for SOE in NYC and..................oh hang on, that sounds familiar?

This is pretty simple.

Clearly the plan is to release this year. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignoring some fairly obvious signs.

Clearly U2 has had obvious release plans before and pussed out at the last second. Anyone who denys that this could happen again is ignoring some fairly obvious past history.

So let's just all agree that the album should be here soon, unless it isn't.

And let's also agree that this forum should have been changed to Where The Album Has No Name about 15 months ago.

This is pretty simple.

Clearly the plan is to release this year. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignoring some fairly obvious signs.

Clearly U2 has had obvious release plans before and pussed out at the last second. Anyone who denys that this could happen again is ignoring some fairly obvious past history.

So let's just all agree that the album should be here soon, unless it isn't.

And let's also agree that this forum should have been changed to Where The Album Has No Name about 15 months ago.

Agreed, or at least to "Where the Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience". But better just back to the old "No Name"

September sounds more realistic for a single, if the album is due December?

To be fair, The National released a lead single 4 months ahead of their upcoming album, so I don't think 5 months for U2 would have been completely crazy.

Releasing a summery-sounding tune like 'The Best Thing' in the summer, and promoting it during the last couple of legs of the JT tour, with that built-in audience would have been a pretty smart move imo. Plus the rumour was both a July and September single, so it's not like there would have been a 5 month gap with nothing in between.

Maybe they felt they were still in the thick of the JT tour (especially with the additional legs) too much to begin promoting SoE. In September they'll at least be at the tail end of it.

"conflicting report" is the key takeaway from the u2songs piece..

consider that September may be the single proper, but the intent was still to release another new song earlier.

July song marketed as "track off the forthcoming album, Songs of Experience," as opposed to "first single from Songs of Experience"

that sort of distinction could lead to conflicting reports about what we're getting, and when.

Or, yeah, maybe they just pushed everything back for reasons like JamietheEdgeFan laid out

consider that September may be the single proper, but the intent was still to release another new song earlier.

July song marketed as "track off the forthcoming album, Songs of Experience," as opposed to "first single from Songs of Experience"

that sort of distinction could lead to conflicting reports about what we're getting, and when.

Or, yeah, maybe they just pushed everything back for reasons like JamietheEdgeFan laid out

Yeah, the conflicting reports thing is interesting. Maybe they are getting better feedback on other songs than the one they had chosen for July (most likely TBT) and figure why not just wait and release the one that is getting better reaction from the listening pool in September. Who knows. But either way, there will be a single and album out this year.

I like the idea that there's a tune they have in the bag that's considered more of a proper, lead single than The Best Thing. I really like TBT from what I've heard so far, so if they have a tune that's even stronger than that, it gives me a lot of hope for it (as well as SoE in general) :hyper:

Fingers crossed the reason for the conflicting report is as you say - that there's just some confusion, and July is still on the cards. Obviously having new music sooner rather than later is great, but really I'd just love to see TBT out in the summer time... it's just perfect for it.

Alan Cross confirming that the Toronto listening party is something they cant talk about. When prompted about details on FB, he says " Kind of a confidential situation. All will come out in due time."

Would the "proper" single in September be TBT and "another" song in July = Little Things or even another new SOE song .. ?

I still want to believe in the idea of 2 new song releases (July/September) because ... that would be great

Alan Cross confirming that the Toronto listening party is something they cant talk about. When prompted about details on FB, he says " Kind of a confidential situation. All will come out in due time."

I never understood this whole secrecy thing with U2 music. The industry has changed. Album sales aren't what they used to be, and I would guess it has to do with attention spans decreasing.

No one but us diehards are even aware of a new album.

I never understood this whole secrecy thing with U2 music. The industry has changed. Album sales aren't what they used to be, and I would guess it has to do with attention spans decreasing.

It's crazy,they are a band and their job is to release music,but with U2 it's forced out of them!

I think the private listening situation isn't specific to U2 in the industry. Not saying it's common, but I recall reading a rundown of that last Metallica album based on the author's first impressions of the record that he got from listening at an industry preview a few weeks prior. He couldn't write about it immediately but was free to publish once the press embargo was lifted. I have a good friend who works in music promotion and their group often gets to hear new albums for clients well before artwork is finalized etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom