SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:11 PM
SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

19 threads down, no certainty.

Some very small snippets of hope have emerged in recent days:

- U2 have started playing 'The Little Things That Give You Away' as the closer on the Joshua Tree 30 tour
- Bono was introducing that song as "a song of experience", most recently though, he changed that line to "we have a new album; this is on it".
- U2 are appearing on Kimmel 23 May, and are rumoured to be playing 2 songs.
- Bono was recently quoted in a newspaper as claiming peoples' "innocence has died", which is a line in The Little Things That Give You Away.

Not much when taken individually, but aggregated, it could mean that they have finally made some decisions re timing behind the scenes.

This Clyp is the best audio circulating of The Little Things That Give You Away:

https://clyp.it/cbhhgvbx

This youtube video is the best audio of the Kygo remix of You're The Best Thing About Me:

Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Really liking the lyrics of 'Little Things' and 'Best Thing', it feels sincere and personal. Btw, great audio bootleg.

'Little Things' feels like an album closer to me.

Thanks for putting together the list of potential song titles, liking the names of a lot of them, hope they turn out to be great tunes.

I do hope that the lyrics stay strong, and the music takes over some more. Longer solo's, longer melodies, impactful intro's, and would love to hear one or two songs where Bono gives it his all vocally.

It does feel like it may the last album.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

....The end is here??

Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #4
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
....The end is here??

"but not yet, we're just warming up"

hold that quote tight and don't let go of it!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #5
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
....The end is here??

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Is it odd that this subforum was never changed back to Where The Album Has No Name? And if it is going to be "Where The Album Has A Name", shouldn't it just say Songs Of Experience at this point?

It's too late for them to back down now.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Any way to download the clyp audio?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuk5 View Post
Any way to download the clyp audio?
The show is up on U2 Torrents, or you can go here and enter the Clyp URL

Online SoundCloud & YouTube to MP3 Converter and Downloader | Anything2MP3
Old 05-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

Old 05-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post

Rumoured song titles, in order of recency of mention (with ones we know to be superseded, or more than 5 years old) removed:

- The Little Things That Give You Away
- You're the Best Thing About Me
- The Showman
- Summer of Love
- Landlady
- Where the Shadows Fall
- Tightrope
- Much More Better
- Get Out of Your Own Way
- Red Flag Day
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- The Light

Finally, an image has been shown on the screen after The Little Things That Give You Away that could very well be the album cover. It shows Bono's son Eli, and Edge's daughter Sian posing together:

https://twitter.com/atu2/status/863277671282823168
There's also the ballad, Love is All We Have Left (Morleigh cat clip) but we haven't heard mention of that for a while

Get Out of Your Own Way is one the band are excited about. It's the song they played for some fans in February, that was described as poppy and synth heavy.

Worth noting - between, Best Thing, Little Things, Love is All We Have Left, and GOOYOW, it seems we're pretty far from "raw" and "aggressive." Sure there are a lot of other songs, but I'm no longer thinking that SOE is going to sound like the 'being born' clip from a year ago
Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
There's also the ballad, Love is All We Have Left (Morleigh cat clip) but we haven't heard mention of that for a while

Get Out of Your Own Way is one the band are excited about. It's the song they played for some fans in February, that was described as poppy and synth heavy.

Worth noting - between, Best Thing, Little Things, Love is All We Have Left, and GOOYOW, it seems we're pretty far from "raw" and "aggressive." Sure there are a lot of other songs, but I'm no longer thinking that SOE is going to sound like the 'being born' clip from a year ago

Ah, of course! Gooyow is the best acronym ever, BTW.

Civilisation and tightrope are both described as pretty raw and aggressive - maybe it will be a mix?
Old 05-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Ah, of course! Gooyow is the best acronym ever, BTW.

Civilisation and tightrope are both described as pretty raw and aggressive - maybe it will be a mix?
I was thinking that the reference to synths might imply a more processed sound. But maybe this is unfair of me.. A band like Crystal Castles is synth heavy and they can sound quite raw
Old 05-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

You guys forgot Stop (The Poverty)
Old 05-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post

I think I'd welcome a move away from the 'raw'/rock sound that we've had with Elevation, Vertigo, Boots and Miracle. There's a lot I love about it, but I think if the next album focuses more on melody, atmosphere, heart-on-sleeve emotion, they'll be playing to their strengths a whole lot more.

I'm quite happy they're doing another synth track. I remember you said it was described as Invisible-esque... Very intrigued to hear what it sounds like. Though I can't help finding it funny that the title 'Get out of your own way', a tune described as being about not overthinking and being impulsive, is still floating around 2 or more years since it was first mentioned

I also can't wait to hear how 'The Best Thing' ends up sounding. Regardless of what we heard last year, I'm sure it's undergone a bit of revision. A mix of rock and synth? Will it retain the original melodies, and the dancey-ness of the original? Can't wait to find out.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #15
The Fly

Picking up on the Kimmel speculation from the last thread, I could easily see them doing two JT tracks- something like ISHFWILF and RHMT to tie in with promotion for it as a single. It would be one of the big 3 and one deep track, which I think is safe and would please the masses fine.

That said, it is a perfect press opp to make a statement, and I would love nothing more than if they did Bullet with a rant followed by a new single. That would turn everything on it's head. It would also make up for the missed opp back at the I Heart festival. I think it all depends on how confident they feel with it based on how it's sounded and the reaction it's garnered live.