SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, forgot about this. Also the clip from Edge's Fender video...

Please keep this stuff!

Also with this talk about TBT, I'd much prefer a good song with a great hook over a rawk song for the sake of sounding rock-y... ala Boots or Miracle. TBT is instantly recognizable and is a fun poppy tune... who cares what the "perception" will be? If it's a good song then it's a good song, simple as that IMO.

Yep, those two clips so far have been what have me excited. I like TBT. I think it is catchy and sometimes that's all a song needs. I don't think Miracle or Boots had a memorable hook or melody that stuck in your head.
I think if we get a solid, non EDM, studio version it could work well.

I liken it a little bit to The Crystal Ballroom. The song that should have been the lead single for SOI. :wink:
I like TCB better than TBT but, it has a bounce to it, and a movement to it that makes it a good listen. Sorta a mix of The Sweetest Thing and TCB... And it may play well on adult contemp/adult alt stations. But, like many of us know, any genuine "hits" are out of the question for the band anymore.

I agree with headache on the two types of songs that are probably best for them to release. I think the clip from the Fender video is really classic sounding U2, maybe that will be one of the first singles...

TCB...:doh:

TBT...we'll see...at this point U2 has done itself a favor by touring TJT and doing it right. I always said this tour was a gift to the fans, a goodwill gesture to bring the band back into the good graces of those who left their side when the dumped SOI into our iPhones\iTunes...:p

SOE is looking for viable for a late 2017 release...and the July/September single is similar to what they did for AB in 1991. The Fly came out in early September and then they dropped Mysterious Ways in early October. Fingers crossed that they're going to go through with all that RD is reporting...:yes:

I think all the reacts to the Best Thing are very premature. The beach clip is nothing like the souped up kygo remix, but it also is not clear enough to form solid opinions. All we know is it has a hook, and that means it has an angle.

SOE is looking for viable for a late 2017 release...and the July/September single is similar to what they did for AB in 1991. The Fly came out in early September and then they dropped Mysterious Ways in early October. Fingers crossed that they're going to go through with all that RD is reporting...:yes:

Mysterious Ways wasn't officially released until a week after the album came out on November 25th. The Fly was released in late October, just a month before the album.

So not really similar to releasing singles 5 months and 3 months before the album.

I think all the reacts to the Best Thing are very premature. The beach clip is nothing like the souped up kygo remix, but it also is not clear enough to form solid opinions. All we know is it has a hook, and that means it has an angle.

Cleverly worded ;]

well i for one am whining about the Kygo mix, that's all i've heard i think, oh wait, i might have heard the beach clip in the dim and distant past, but the Kygo mix may have obliterated it from my memory

Last edited:
I honestly had no idea there was another version floating around there; thought it was just the Kygo version.

I'm normally not a beach clip type person, but can someone post a link (assuming there is still one)?

Velvet Dress wasn't the album closer.

I honestly had no idea there was another version floating around there; thought it was just the Kygo version.

I'm normally not a beach clip type person, but can someone post a link (assuming there is still one)?

https://clyp.it/dhiz2d22

Made by Dan :)

It's clearly got a similar arrangement (mainly the pulsing drum beat), but seems to have more guitar going on in the chorus. And I think the barking dog really ties it all together.

CD/Cassette singles...correct...tracks released to radio, much earlier...:yes:

Not to my recollection. The video for The Fly wasn't even shot until mid-September, and the world premiere on MTV was before it was ever played on the radio. MTV ran ads for the premiere featuring little bits of it and we were like what the hell is this?

I also don't remember hearing Mysterious Ways until the week the album came out.

Feel free to provide any data proving otherwise.

Bottom line is again, 5 months lead time is not the same as 1 month, or even 2 if you're going to continue beating that drum.

Not to my recollection. The video for The Fly wasn't even shot until mid-September, and the world premiere on MTV was before it was ever played on the radio. MTV ran ads for the premiere featuring little bits of it and we were like what the hell is this?

I also don't remember hearing Mysterious Ways until the week the album came out.

Feel free to provide any data proving otherwise.

Bottom line is again, 5 months lead time is not the same as 1 month, or even 2 if you're going to continue beating that drum.

Uh, maybe you're right...:shrug:...seems like I heard MW in October '91...:hmm:

:bonodrum:

Boots is definitely the better comparison.

And I find Boots much more listenable than the Kygo mix.

Ugh, to each their own but I couldn't disagree more- those lyrics on Boots have had me groaning for 8 years. At least TBT's lyrics seem slightly more baked. I share your skepticism, however, that this could easily sound like a desperate attempt at a mainstream pop song by middle aged men. Its a razor thin line.

Ugh, to each their own but I couldn't disagree more- those lyrics on Boots have had me groaning for 8 years.
The song is meh. The video is truly terrible.
watch

No one would argue that Boots is fantastic, but I don't think it's horrible either. The "let me in the sound" part is actually quite interesting. The video is weird too but has some interesting images related to classical and future-oriented feminism. Not their best effort by any means, but I think "Boots" gets too much knee-jerk hatred and can be appreciated as a latter day tune of a more driving nature.

Boots was just a bad choice. Not exactly a bad song, but a bad choice. It was a weird lyric, not exactly a bad lyric, but a weird one for U2. Elevation was a bad lyric, Vertigo was an on the fence lyric, but Boots was borderline brilliant weird, but wasn't single material.

Best Thing, from what I've heard so far isn't terrible, there's lighthearted and dark at the same time, with an extremely bouncy and hypnotic hook. We shall see.

first time I've listened to Boots in I don't know how long, and the second time I've ever watched that video. Mother of god, this was a terrible decision...:doh:

first time I've listened to Boots in I don't know how long, and the second time I've ever watched that video. Mother of god, this was a terrible decision...:doh:

Seriously. I'm starting to think any discussion of Boots should come with a trigger warning. That shit leaves you scarred.

The chorus for TBT is definitely a high point--infectious, soaring; it's very buoyant. But the verses, I dunno... it leaves a little something to be desired, IMO, and I'm not sure it quite gets the job done as an element that will grab the average radio listener's attention enough to get to the chorus. It feels somewhat rambling (plodding?), like it's just a placeholder or early draft until the band could write something that'd better compliment the chorus (which, it bears repeating, is very strong). Then again, we've also yet to hear an official release of the song, or a cut that hasn't been relayed to us via phone, so I could very well be singing a different tune when (if?) that day comes.

In summation: this post is just another random hot-take from a U2 fanatic :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom