SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it? Bono speak?

September at the earliest, IF the album is coming December 1st.

Bono said Best THing is the first single, and that Little Things is the last song in the album. In no way does that mean that either is the case.
Two singles: July. September.

Then album: December.

Unless they bail. But it is the current plan.

If it is "only" the last song on SOE, that bodes well, and could be the best album closer since Velvet Dress.

Velvet Dress wasn't the closing song on Pop, that was Wake up Deadman.
But I think The Troubles, was an amazing closer is superior to Little Things IMO. Incredible song.
My fave closer since The Wanderer or Love is Blindness. And yes i also love velvet dress :)

i thought they'd said TBT was going to be a single next year just a couple of weeks ago?

At this point in U2's career, there are only two things that will garner positive attention... either a) the song is an absolutely gorgeous masterpiece of art, or b) it sounds like classic U2.

Best thing doesn't sound like it'll be going after A, and it doesn't really sound like it's going after B either (whereas Little Things does have that classic U2 vibe at the end).

Even if it's a good song, my fear is that if it's too poppy it'll be heralded as the sound of an aging band desperate for relevancy.

i have faith in them - i was terrified about what their collaboration with Kendrick Lamar would sound like, and they threw a curved ball with that and it was a stunner

they're big boys, and they're good at music - it will be fine :lol:

I really hope not, but yea, that's what I'm afraid of.

Maybe they're doing the dual single release before the album as a way to combat against this... take a chance with a poppy summer song now and if that doesn't work come back with a more classic U2 track in the fall leadup to the release.

oh man, they did that with Boots/Magnificent though sort of didn't they :crack:

jeesus i take my last comment back :|

Last edited:
As a fan of EDM, my biggest problem with the Kygo remix is that it's very basic EDM. Granted it was a live recording but imo it doesn't stick out even in the EDM genre. The chorus is catchy enough I'll give it that.

Damn, forgot about this. Also the clip from Edge's Fender video...

Please keep this stuff!

Also with this talk about TBT, I'd much prefer a good song with a great hook over a rawk song for the sake of sounding rock-y... ala Boots or Miracle. TBT is instantly recognizable and is a fun poppy tune... who cares what the "perception" will be? If it's a good song then it's a good song, simple as that IMO.

Last edited:
Miracle was a straight rock song from an aging band that was singing about another old rock band, and wasn't all that catchy.

I'm not going to debate the quality of The Miracle (I think the pop production is over the top, but it's pretty catchy regardless), but you can't really judge its success as a proper single as it was debuted about 5 minutes before the entire album was given away for free to tens of millions of people. So it never really had a chance to serve as any kind of lead-up album promotion, even if it was officially released as a single.

I'm not going to debate the quality of The Miracle (I think the pop production is over the top, but it's pretty catchy regardless), but you can't really judge its success as a proper single as it was debuted about 5 minutes before the entire album was given away for free to tens of millions of people. So it never really had a chance to serve as any kind of lead-up album promotion, even if it was officially released as a single.
Very true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom