SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally forgot about that- good catch. Then the only other one that comes to mind is "She's Gonna Blow your House Down" on Irish radio (I think) winter of 1990 around the time the Axtung Beibi demo stuff "leaked". I don't think that ever appeared formally anywhere else.

Not legally.

So let's assume that the album is ready for December 1st.

Does the first single coming out in June serve as a means to tell the public U2 have new music? If the song is a hit, would really want to wait five months for the album?

Hearing that Little Things will definitely not be first or second single, and that its status is up in the air

I'm not surprised to be honest. I doubt u2 were ever going to debut the lead single/strongest SOE tune live, months before an official release, where it would be floated around in crappy bootleg quality and lack freshness and surprise upon eventual release. I suspect TLTTGYA was a way of playing a new tune/asserting their relevance without giving away their ace in the hole (presumably 'The Best Thing').

I'm curious what sort of song we'll get for a potential secondary single in September. If not a slow, building heartbreaker to contrast the dancey sound of The Best Thing like TLTTGYA, maybe a raw rocker drawing from the sound of the 'SoE being born' clip? :hmm:

Wild Irish Rose wasn't performed live, but the studio version was used on TV - and that's all we've ever got of the song.

A fucking travesty too, as I rate it in my U2 top 15, sometimes top 10.

So let's assume that the album is ready for December 1st.

Does the first single coming out in June serve as a means to tell the public U2 have new music? If the song is a hit, would really want to wait five months for the album?

It's funny, todays artists have totally gone back to an 1950s/60s model of release. A single dropping almost at random, another a month or so later to hype up a tour, then maybe a third before, and this is another maybe, an album. Not saying U2 will follow the lead of guys like Kendrick, Arcade Fire, and others who are doing it this is way, but I could see it. Single in July, single in SEP/October before tour announcement and a December album release. Put out another single right after the album drops but before the tour. It makes the singles beat album reviews and advance press, which may be a good idea right now coming off of the last album's sideshow release. Basically the singles will make or break the album in that scenario- it'd be a confident and ballsy strategy.

Last edited:
Wild Irish Rose wasn't performed live, but the studio version was used on TV - and that's all we've ever got of the song.

How about In A Lifetime?

Is that in your top 15? Stars Go Blue?

I'm being serious...not taking the piss.

I thought that wasn't a U2 song

Are there any U2 songs apart from Womanfish that have been performed on TV without later getting a release?

I guess 'Invisible' was technically released, though it still angers me that it was left off the proper SOI album and relegated to a hidden track on the b-sides disc.

Oh I forgot about that one. Yeah it deserved a bit better than that.

So if we do really end up getting a single in early July, how do you guys think it'll happen?

Will it drop out of nowhere, or will we get some teaser clips and hints in the days leading up to it?

This will be u2's first 'traditional style', single & album-announcement type release since 2009 with NLOTH. I wonder how they'll approach it this time!

So if we do really end up getting a single in early July, how do you guys think it'll happen?

Will it drop out of nowhere, or will we get some teaser clips and hints in the days leading up to it?

This will be u2's first 'traditional style', single & album-announcement type release since 2009 with NLOTH. I wonder how they'll approach it this time!

There is only 1 week off between Cleveland and the first Euro shows in London. It might be possible that they do a brief media blitz to promote the single release on a few radio shows or TV appearances, especially if they are in London that week anyways? They could do the Graham Norton show (tapped on a Thursday night, broadcast on Friday), talk a bit more about SOE development and play the new single. You would imagine they will still take most of August off for their usual south of France holidays, and then get back on tour. So probably only really leaves those first 2 weeks in July to release it and do a bit of promo.

Scrap the Graham Norton theory, his current series finishes on 30th June (and even that episode is only a compilation one anyway).

Why does everybody think there will be a single in July? I'm just curious what I missed.

Bono first started talking about Best Thing being the new single more than a month ago now. Why would you refer to it as the new single if it wasn't coming out until next year or even late this year? It sounds like it is imminent, but then U2.

That's it? Bono speak?

September at the earliest, IF the album is coming December 1st.

Bono said Best THing is the first single, and that Little Things is the last song in the album. In no way does that mean that either is the case.

Last edited:
Single out in the first week in july, album out 1st December. That's a long gap between single and album. I can believe the album date rumour but surely the single will be September at the earliest

That's it? Bono speak?

September at the earliest, IF the album is coming December 1st.

Bono said Best THing is the first single, and that Little Things is the last song in the album. In no way does that mean that either is the case.

That was only additional context to the rumour of dates of single and album that U2Songs posted a few days back.

I guess 'Invisible' was technically released, though it still angers me that it was left off the proper SOI album and relegated to a hidden track on the b-sides disc.

Yeah, the more time that goes by the more I find the sequencing and production of SOI odd. Invisible I could see on it, same with Crystal Ballroom. The Tedder tracks are just abhorrent to me, but whatever, a lot of people dig them. But yeah- if SFS was on it, Invisible certainly belonged. Way more of a natural single in my book.

Ugh

I'll reserve final judgement till I hear the studio version and see how they handle the release, but "poppy" summer single says to me that they still haven't learned anything from the last two go around.

I kinda get what you're saying, and I totally agree that we need to hear the studio version of Best Thing, and see how they handle the release.

But if Best Thing is a more straight pop-rock song and not EDM'd up, then i think it will be better than the last two lead singles. Boots was a rawk mess, and Miracle was a straight rock song from an aging band that was singing about another old rock band, and wasn't all that catchy.

If they wise up and release a great studio version and then play the damn song on tour in a good slot, like the first or second song of the encore, where people won't leave the building, then we may have a decent release for the first time in a long time.

They may have been referring to its potential status as a future single, and not whether it makes the album, I suppose.

Yeah, i tend to agree here. I can't see them playing the song on tour, Bono saying it was one of his favorites, saying it's the last song on the album, and then not having it on the album at all.
I think it would do ok, but it's not necessarily the greatest single material, especially not a lead single.

Yeah, i tend to agree here. I can't see them playing the song on tour, Bono saying it was one of his favorites, saying it's the last song on the album, and then not having it on the album at all.
I think it would do ok, but it's not necessarily the greatest single material, especially not a lead single.

If it is "only" the last song on SOE, that bodes well, and could be the best album closer since Velvet Dress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom