SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is true. Not releasing Little Things has backfired in some ways. I was at the show in Pittsburgh and when Bono introduced it as "a new song" and "the last song..." the crowd started to leave. It was obvious even to the band that Bono said "well I guess it's Wednesday night" before walking off stage. I was a bit embarrassed for them especially since I think Little Things is great.

I hope this is true. Not releasing Little Things has backfired in some ways. I was at the show in Pittsburgh and when Bono introduced it as "a new song" and "the last song..." the crowd started to leave. It was obvious even to the band that Bono said "well I guess it's Wednesday night" before walking off stage. I was a bit embarrassed for them especially since I think Little Things is great.

Announcing that it's the last song is a good way to get a good amount of casual folks to clear out at just about any concert I'd imagine, lol.

Either way, as much as I like Little Things closing with it is a bit weird.

Announcing that it's the last song is a good way to get a good amount of casual folks to clear out at just about any concert I'd imagine, lol.

Either way, as much as I like Little Things closing with it is a bit weird.

Yeah I totally agree- it would be way better earlier in the set coming off another slow or acoustic number, sort of how Satellite of Love worked on the ZooTV tour or SIAMYCGOO on 360. Then, it would have more people listening while sitting comfortably in the set. Problem is they don't really have that natural space with the JT set list.

The biggest problem is it's a song that no one knows and it's a slower number. I'm a believer that if they released Best Thing as a single and closed with it, it would have been a different story. Ending with a new energetic song would create some buzz for SOE. This is the only reason why they've been closing with Little Things.

"Casual" fans, ie, the majority and not us on here, would have no idea what that song is. It's a really strange decision to close with something they've not released and with something of that tempo. You can see the reaction to it on a lot of the YouTube videos and its a bit disappointing but not surprising.

Same thing happened at the Manchester gig that Ariana Grande arranged. Liam Gallagher comes on, opens with an Oasis track, the place is jumping. He then does his new single and the whole place falls absolutely flat before a storming finish with another Oasis track. That's just how it goes.

Move Little Things up the set a bit, announce the new album, pre-order can download that track and Best Thing (which gets a single release) and close with that one instead?

Hearing that Little Things will definitely not be first or second single, and that its status is up in the air

Are there any U2 songs apart from Womanfish that have been performed on TV without later getting a release?

Playing "Little Things" last was so stupid. Announcing it was last was even worse! I like the song, I think it needs to stay in the set, just play it ANYWHERE ELSE! Sandwich it between Red Hill and IGC, I don't care. People leave during the last song all the time. My wife is an avid early-leaver of concerts. She is obsessed with BEATING THE TRAFFIC. She went to one U2 show with me on 360, and tried to pull that. I said "you do whatever you want, I'm not leaving until they've played the last note!"

But I'm sure the band see people heading for the exits and think "They don't like our song? That's it, cut it from the album! CUT THE ENTIRE ALBUM, WE'RE GOING TO REDO IT!" Don't put it past U2 to perform an unreleased song live for stadiums for of people, AND on national television for everyone's viewing pleasure, and then never release the song or acknowledge it in any way. I know Bono said "IT'S THE LAST SONG ON THE ALBUM", but that in no way means it will be the last song on the album, or that it will even make the album! Nothing is set in stone until the album is forced into our iPhones!

I do believe the album will be released sometime between November and next March, we really don't have that long of a wait.

Are there any U2 songs apart from Womanfish that have been performed on TV without later getting a release?

No. About the closest comparison we have is "North Star". Performed live several times, was featured in one of the Transformer movies, and then never released, or spoken of again!

If it's his favorite song I hope its due to the subject matter and not the composition.

It's a nice little melody, but live it isn't much. I enjoy the beginning more than the end where it's U2 by the numbers.

Would not consider it a single. And wouldn't it be funny if they push back the album again because it's not connecting.

And U2 knows that people leave during the last song of every show. Doesn't matter if it's new, slow, uptempo

I will be shocked if there's a single in 3 weeks

I know that U2's discretion isn't terribly reliable, but if Little Things is left off the album and there are 12 songs that are better than it, that bodes really well.

But... they did put Stand Up Comedy on NLOTH, so who knows.

If it's his favorite song I hope its due to the subject matter and not the composition.

It's a nice little melody, but live it isn't much. I enjoy the beginning more than the end where it's U2 by the numbers.

Would not consider it a single. And wouldn't it be funny if they push back the album again because it's not connecting.

And U2 knows that people leave during the last song of every show. Doesn't matter if it's new, slow, uptempo

I will be shocked if there's a single in 3 weeks

Did they not notice the mass exodus towards the exit during every 360 show, when MOS was being played? It's like they intentionally played that song last to give people the chance to beat the traffic! Ending the I&E shows with a "Greatest Hit" was a much better idea, be it Bad, 40, ISHFWILF or One... ending with a popular rocker like IWF and Vertigo is also a good idea. The Fly would be a good concert closer. U2 are about the only band I've ever seen who don't usually end on a energetic note.

There has actually been a lot of praise about "Little Things", considering U2 are now considered a classic rock group, and are even on a nostalgia tour right now.

Folks, "its status is up in the air" likely refers more to it getting a single release than whether or not it's going to make the album. Not sure why everyone starts freaking out at something where the context is unclear.

Not surprising it isn't under consideration for a single. I like the song and think it could be a great album closer, but definitely not a big single.

Bring on The Best Thing.

Folks, "its status is up in the air" likely refers more to it getting a single release than whether or not it's going to make the album. Not sure why everyone starts freaking out at something where the context is unclear.
Yep.. You're probably right. They clearly like the song

It's the B-Side on Staring at the Sun.

Totally forgot about that- good catch. Then the only other one that comes to mind is "She's Gonna Blow your House Down" on Irish radio (I think) winter of 1990 around the time the Axtung Beibi demo stuff "leaked". I don't think that ever appeared formally anywhere else.

They may have been referring to its potential status as a future single, and not whether it makes the album, I suppose.

If that's the case then the album is likely coming sooner rather than later given they are at the stage of choosing the singles!

Of course this could all change if edge or Larry wake up in a bad mood,"fuck it lads,album needs totally redone!". Then again might we be hearing we teasers building up to a single launch in July??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom