SOE 20 - Sometimes, the end isn't coming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's recap one of the most eye-rolling comments I've read here in quite some time:

Wow, I didn't realize that I was going to offend someone to such a strong degree with that comment. I've clearly struck a nerve with you, Laz. Apologies, I'm really not here to start shit. I kinda thought my tongue in cheek sarcasm was implied.

I didnt mean that Bono is literally a show pony being ordered around by Larry, Edge and Guy. He obviously isn't going to do anything he doesn't want to do.

Wow, I didn't realize that I was going to offend someone to such a strong degree with that comment. I've clearly struck a nerve with you, Laz. Apologies, I'm really not here to start shit. I kinda thought my tongue in cheek sarcasm was implied.

I didnt mean that Bono is literally a show pony being ordered around by Larry, Edge and Guy. He obviously isn't going to do anything he doesn't want to do.

Don't worry. Laz gets mad sometimes. He was mad at me once and the only way I was able to make it better was to send nudes via PM.

Any juicy quotes from BoBo before Little Things this time out?

Seems it will be played in one show cities, and on night two in two show cities (or when shows in cities are close like Texas, and possibly Florida)

Any juicy quotes from BoBo before Little Things this time out?

Seems it will be played in one show cities, and on night two in two show cities (or when shows in cities are close like Texas, and possibly Florida)

last song on the album, again

last song on the album, again

Good news.

Track list position comments are positive - sure they can be sure of the closer without locking other stuff in, but they are certain that:
A) they aren't writing any more (a big cause of previous delays, and
B) the album is happening.

I would say that the rumours we are hearing are almost certainly locked in, and wouldn't have been set unless the band themselves were all on board. Not after last year's blip.

Single in July, album in December - let's do this!

Single in July, album in December - let's do this!

I still think releasing a new song in the middle of a classic album tour is a bit of a mixed signal.

If anything, the single is released between legs in the month-long break during August. But even then it would be a little confusing. If the December date is indeed correct (and I'm not totally sold on that), a release right at the end of the tour in late October gives enough lead time.

I still think releasing a new song in the middle of a classic album tour is a bit of a mixed signal.

If anything, the single is released between legs in the month-long break during August. But even then it would be a little confusing. If the December date is indeed correct (and I'm not totally sold on that), a release right at the end of the tour in late October gives enough lead time.

1st December could always be the physical release date, with the digital 2 or 3 weeks before that possibly?

I know what you're saying. But it also gives them a big platform to play a couple new songs during this tour, giving it some organic visibility.
Still think they would need to do some promo for the album - Fallon, SNL, BBC, etc... to shift the attention from JT to SOE when the time comes.

yeah it's a bit odd.

I think a lot of us (myself included) are assuming that summer song = 1st single = Best Thing.. But I suppose they could do as many bands do, and just release a string of 2-3 songs before the album, with 1 being the traditional radio single with promo video, marketing push, etc, and the others being album cuts.

This feels like last year, when they were oh-so-close to releasing Best Thing and SOE. (They really were close. ) Let's hope this time, they dont change their mind. Rumored video shoot and u2songs' December claim are certainly encouraging...

Last edited:
yeah it's a bit odd.

I think a lot of us (myself included) are assuming that summer song = 1st single = Best Thing.. But I suppose they could do as many bands do, and just release a string of 2-3 songs before the album, with 1 being the traditional radio single with promo video, marketing push, etc, and the others being album cuts.

Yeah, with a 4 month gap between the apparent date for the album and something during the summer, I'd be surprised frankly if they didn't release multiple tracks.

However, I would suspect that the first thing they release will be a lead single. It will be the song announcing the album, announcing there's new U2 material, and reflecting everything else on it, so I'd guess they'll go for the most single-esque tune (which I assume is The Best Thing). I could imagine them doing a lower key release of The Little Things a month later... or maybe that synth-based track you mentioned the band were really keen on (Get Out of Your Own Way)?

Just no gimmicks. Release it traditionally, lead single two months before album release....

Or

Go the route that bands are doing now, with releasing multiple songs over a few months followed by the album release.

Anything else, and there's risk of shitting on the goodwill they seem to have built up with this tour.

I suppose one gimmick that wouldn't be horrible, and it's been brought up here.....Is that once these additional shows kick off in September, anyone who attends the concert gets a discounted price code to download the new U2 album that comes out in December (or sooner assuming people don't hold onto the code for too long)

Guess that sucks for ROW who have to pay full price haha

Just no gimmicks. Release it traditionally, lead single two months before album release....

Or

Go the route that bands are doing now, with releasing multiple songs over a few months followed by the album release.

Anything else, and there's risk of shitting on the goodwill they seem to have built up with this tour.

I suppose one gimmick that wouldn't be horrible, and it's been brought up here.....Is that once these additional shows kick off in September, anyone who attends the concert gets a discounted price code to download the new U2 album that comes out in December (or sooner assuming people don't hold onto the code for too long)

Guess that sucks for ROW who have to pay full price haha

Agreed, and not just for the album for the damn singles! Have codes available at the merch tables to be able to download the new single a week before anyone else, and definitely something where ticket buyers get an album discount.
Why not? It would guarantee the singles would chart, and a number one album. The general public doesn't know or care how the album got to number one, they just know it got to number one it gets good buzz for the band.
The chart rules are so all over the place now with streams, downloads, purchases, youtube views, etc... that no one gives a shit or cares to know the details of how the album showed up at a certain number on the charts.

So I went to see Cage The Elephant at Ryman Auditorium a few weeks ago. They are doing an acoustic tour and recording for an upcoming release. Once inside the show you were given a code to download a free copy. Thought that was cool!!

1st December could always be the physical release date, with the digital 2 or 3 weeks before that possibly?

Still think there is a chance that the artwork is the cover for the single release, not the album.

Also a December 1st release date could be an ambitious stab at a Christmas number one for the band, crazy as it might seem, off the back of this tour, its not completely out of the question!

Xmas number one 2017 - Little Things!! [emoji18]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom